Opinions on Mission Models paints

As a grown-up modeler I started out with MM paints since they seemed like a good one-stop shop, modern acrylic paint that had a lot of praise. I was a novice with the airbrush as well, but even once I gained experience shooting paints I found that MM was finicky and complicated. This was with trying to follow their FAQ instructions and videos to the letter, including using their poly additive. Even with poly I don’t find the paint to be very resilient. I would get persistent paint lifting in certain areas, and never knew what kind of flow or spray quality I would get. Once it completely clogged the cup and nozzle and I thought I ruined my airbrush. It’s a shame since they have a good paint range and the bottles are easy to use— I wanted to like them. I’ve since tried Tamiya and Gunze acrylics and find they're much easier and simple to use. Airbrushing is fun with them 

Edited by Rando

I've seen these paints in hobby shops here in Japan. They looked interesting at first glance, but the price they charge for them here is a bit steep for me. Now upon reading some of the comments about how they spray on via airbrush makes me want to not touch them. 

Tamiya, Vallejo and Mr. Color are the acrylics I usually work with, but recently I've discovered this new brand made here in Japan called Vic Color. I don't think they are that widely available outside Japan at all, which is a shame because they are some of the best acrylic paints I've ever used. They spray straight from the bottle with no issues whatsoever. I never have clogging issues with my airbrush when I use them, unlike Vallejo sometimes if you don't shake or stir them properly near the end of a bottle. The coat goes on nice and smooth with a velvety semi-gloss finish. Also, they brush on really well straight from the bottle. I do notice that unlike Tamiya paints which dry near-instantaneously right after you spray them, Vic Colors take a couple or so minutes to dry and a little while longer to cure. You need to be careful and avoid touching the painted surface otherwise you will get a fingerprint on it and mess it up. Thankfully, it is easy to wipe it away with a damp rag and try again. Once the paint dries it is a very solid strong coat that has excellent even coverage. 

Vic has also released some sets of paints for specific subjects like Gull Grey and White post-war USN/USMC jets, JASDF F-2 and RF-4 camos, USAF Vietnam-era SEA camo and just recently even WWII Regia Aeronautica camo. The paints in these special sets are really accurate color-wise and really look the part. The only other sets that I've seen with such close out-of-bottle accuracy are the AK Interactive paints.

HLJ and 1999.co.jp sell the Vic paints and ship them overseas. I kinda come across as a bit of a paid-sponsor for these paints, its just that these paints are just that damn nice to use. Hopefully they continue to expand their line of paints. They even came out with some metallic acrylics which also look excellent.

I used Mission Models on my Tamiya F-35A (their Have Glass V color) and I used Createx thinner and poly  Hobby Lobby.  The Mission poly bottle was unopened and was indoors in a closet(dark and climate-controlled)  since purchase, and it had solidified.  I played with Mission thinner just to get a feel for how it airbrushed before starting in earnest - and the pigment seemed to clump and separate from the liquid medium and clog my airbrush (Iwata HP-CS). 

Awful. 

I did some research and (I can't recall where I saw this) but I used Createx thinner and poly which I got from Hobby Lobby (and the cost was half of Mission's thinner and poly cost).  It worked - but the ratio I found best was 28 drops of paint to 3 drops poly to 7 drops thinner - and mix it THOROUGHLY.  I did prime the plastic (I believe I used Stynylrez gray primer) and the Mission paint was still delicate.  I liked the overall result - but it was a chore to work with.  Not user-friendly like Tamiya or Vallejo.

I've had good luck with Hataka lacquers, but I still lament the loss of Model Master enamels.  NEVER had ANY issues with them.

My 2 cents.

On 12/15/2023 at 12:57 AM, Miramar Road said:

... recently I've discovered this new brand made here in Japan called Vic Color. I don't think they are that widely available outside Japan at all, which is a shame because they are some of the best acrylic paints I've ever used. They spray straight from the bottle with no issues whatsoever. I never have clogging issues with my airbrush when I use them, unlike Vallejo sometimes if you don't shake or stir them properly near the end of a bottle. The coat goes on nice and smooth with a velvety semi-gloss finish. Also, they brush on really well straight from the bottle. I do notice that unlike Tamiya paints which dry near-instantaneously right after you spray them, Vic Colors take a couple or so minutes to dry and a little while longer to cure. You need to be careful and avoid touching the painted surface otherwise you will get a fingerprint on it and mess it up. Thankfully, it is easy to wipe it away with a damp rag and try again. Once the paint dries it is a very solid strong coat that has excellent even coverage. 

Vic has also released some sets of paints for specific subjects like Gull Grey and White post-war USN/USMC jets, JASDF F-2 and RF-4 camos, USAF Vietnam-era SEA camo and just recently even WWII Regia Aeronautica camo. The paints in these special sets are really accurate color-wise and really look the part. The only other sets that I've seen with such close out-of-bottle accuracy are the AK Interactive paints.

HLJ and 1999.co.jp sell the Vic paints and ship them overseas. I kinda come across as a bit of a paid-sponsor for these paints, its just that these paints are just that damn nice to use. Hopefully they continue to expand their line of paints. They even came out with some metallic acrylics which also look excellent.

You mean VicHobby paints?

https://www.hlj.com/search/?Word=vic+paints&Sort=hightolow_price+desc&Page=1&Maker2=Vichobby

I've seen them at HLJ and was wondering about them.  Thanks for the review. I might get a few.  Do they need a primer coat first?

Btw, could you post a link to where I can find them on 1999.co.jp? I did a search on their website but can't seem to locate them. Thank you.

I think I can contribute something useful in this discussion. I started working as an airbrush artist in 1991 for a print company, used harsh solvent based paints all my life until about 10 or so years ago. Working with lacquers for majority of my life has really impacted my health....my doctor said he had only seen this level of smell loss on heavy smokers. I had to switch over to acrylics or potentially give up airbrushing my models. Tried acrylics the first time and hated them, i sold off my entire batch (close to 300 dollars worth). Tried to find a middle ground and go the brush painting route.....that i hated more. So decided I would understand acrylics first and that might change my experience. Once I understood how acrylics work....that changed my acrylic experience forever!

I think this the big problem, when you switch lacquers or enamels to acrylics, there is a learning curve people don't tell you about. I worked with my professional artist  friends to come up with a thinner mixture (understanding now what is needed to airbrush acrylics). It has changed everything. NO MORE tip drying! You get consistent paint spraying, you get a good sold finish that is durable.

You have to change how you airbrush with acrylics. YOU CANNOT blast the paint on. Primer is not mandatory but very helpful. Low air pressure is better, than high air pressure, you can build up the effect you want. And acrylics offer benefits that lacquers do not. First the lack of smell, I cannot stress how important this is. We modelers have become nose blind to the smells of our hobby. I promise others have not! In the video below, see how my cat reacts to Tamiya (acylic lacquer) when compared to a pure water based acrylic. Acrylics are easier for building up effects. They are also a better foundation for weathering (especially if you build armor).

If you are looking at pure water based acrylic paints, I really recommend you watch my video. It will PERMANENTLY change your acrylic airbrushing experience. I get the same airbrushing results as I did when I used lacquers. You can see in my Bf-109 video, Banshee video, I am airbrushing for 30-40 minutes straight no issues what to so ever. Notice I am able to hold the model without gloves and with no problems.

Give this formula a try....you will change your mind about acrylics after:

Almost as bad as Vallejo, but not quite. I don’t think anything is as bad as Vallejo, and I’m not just talking about airbrushing performance either. You can still get good results with Mission but you’ve got to nail the ratios. By the way Createx makes at least several of their thinners and the poly additive for them, and possibly their colors as well.  I got sick of all the water based acrylics so I spray lacquers along with alcohol acrylics such as Tamiya X/XF and Mr. Hobby Aqueous. With proper ventilation and a respirator the smell and VOCs aren’t an issue. And these paints do everything better than water based acrylics except for brush paint. 

A decent compromise if you just use water based acrylics is AK 3rd Gen. 

Edited by CFster
On 12/16/2023 at 7:16 PM, JackMan said:

You mean VicHobby paints?

https://www.hlj.com/search/?Word=vic+paints&Sort=hightolow_price+desc&Page=1&Maker2=Vichobby

I've seen them at HLJ and was wondering about them.  Thanks for the review. I might get a few.  Do they need a primer coat first?

Btw, could you post a link to where I can find them on 1999.co.jp? I did a search on their website but can't seem to locate them. Thank you.

JackMan,

Right! Sorry, I always tend to call them Vic Color instinctively. 

Vic Hobby on 1999.co.jp

Sorry, I had trouble switching to the English version of the site, but there should be a toggle on your end on the site somewhere. 

I've usually sprayed them on without a primer and they go on really well without one. Again, they tend to dry slower, than Tamiya or Vallejo, but once it dries the finish is rock-solid.

I noticed they just added a second Regia Aeronautica color set to their future releases. Good to see them giving Italian WWII modelers some love. They also have a USN/USAF Vow Viz paint set now.

On 12/16/2023 at 9:37 PM, FalconFan24 said:

I think I can contribute something useful in this discussion. I started working as an airbrush artist in 1991 for a print company, used harsh solvent based paints all my life until about 10 or so years ago. Working with lacquers for majority of my life has really impacted my health....my doctor said he had only seen this level of smell loss on heavy smokers. I had to switch over to acrylics or potentially give up airbrushing my models. Tried acrylics the first time and hated them, i sold off my entire batch (close to 300 dollars worth). Tried to find a middle ground and go the brush painting route.....that i hated more. So decided I would understand acrylics first and that might change my experience. Once I understood how acrylics work....that changed my acrylic experience forever!

I think this the big problem, when you switch lacquers or enamels to acrylics, there is a learning curve people don't tell you about. I worked with my professional artist  friends to come up with a thinner mixture (understanding now what is needed to airbrush acrylics). It has changed everything. NO MORE tip drying! You get consistent paint spraying, you get a good sold finish that is durable.

You have to change how you airbrush with acrylics. YOU CANNOT blast the paint on. Primer is not mandatory but very helpful. Low air pressure is better, than high air pressure, you can build up the effect you want. And acrylics offer benefits that lacquers do not. First the lack of smell, I cannot stress how important this is. We modelers have become nose blind to the smells of our hobby. I promise others have not! In the video below, see how my cat reacts to Tamiya (acylic lacquer) when compared to a pure water based acrylic. Acrylics are easier for building up effects. They are also a better foundation for weathering (especially if you build armor).

If you are looking at pure water based acrylic paints, I really recommend you watch my video. It will PERMANENTLY change your acrylic airbrushing experience. I get the same airbrushing results as I did when I used lacquers. You can see in my Bf-109 video, Banshee video, I am airbrushing for 30-40 minutes straight no issues what to so ever. Notice I am able to hold the model without gloves and with no problems.

Give this formula a try....you will change your mind about acrylics after:

Really useful tips there, FalconFan.  I like the way you explained everything in detail.  Also, your color-basing technique ( as an alternative to black-basing) on your 1/72 Banshee was very interesting.  Again, I really like the way you explained the step-by-step. Thanks!

On 12/17/2023 at 11:47 AM, Miramar Road said:

JackMan,

Right! Sorry, I always tend to call them Vic Color instinctively. 

Vic Hobby on 1999.co.jp

Sorry, I had trouble switching to the English version of the site, but there should be a toggle on your end on the site somewhere. 

I've usually sprayed them on without a primer and they go on really well without one. Again, they tend to dry slower, than Tamiya or Vallejo, but once it dries the finish is rock-solid.

I noticed they just added a second Regia Aeronautica color set to their future releases. Good to see them giving Italian WWII modelers some love. They also have a USN/USAF Vow Viz paint set now.

Thanks much! I couldn't order from the Japanese version of Hobbysearch. For some strange reason, Vichobby paints are not available in the English version.  In any case, HLJ had them cheaper. I ordered the JASDF Ocean Blue colors amongst others. Let's see how they fair once I receive them.  If they work well, then I no longer have to mix my own Tamiya colors as I did here:

https://modelingmadness.com/review/mod/j/jegaf2.htm

Apologies for going off-topic of the Mission Models paints, everyone. :worship:

On 12/20/2023 at 11:05 AM, JackMan said:

Really useful tips there, FalconFan.  I like the way you explained everything in detail.  Also, your color-basing technique ( as an alternative to black-basing) on your 1/72 Banshee was very interesting.  Again, I really like the way you explained the step-by-step. Thanks!

Thank you for the kind words! I am glad to hear you enjoyed my videos. If you have any suggestions on things you would like me to do a video on, feel free to let me know. 

Due to constant airbrush issues; like needing to replace nozzles much more than what should be necessary, i went to only using  paint i can thin with Gunze or Tamiya lacquer thinner. Since doing this, the mileage in my nozzles has increased A LOT. Anyway, mission models paint:

Colors looked correct

Some colors sprayed perfectly fine straight out of the bottle others needed to be thinned

It wasn't a problem but I used more thinner that what they recommended 

All in all i liked them

2 hours ago, goondman said:

Due to constant airbrush issues; like needing to replace nozzles much more than what should be necessary, i went to only using  paint i can thin with Gunze or Tamiya lacquer thinner. Since doing this, the mileage in my nozzles has increased A LOT. Anyway, mission models paint:

Colors looked correct

Some colors sprayed perfectly fine straight out of the bottle others needed to be thinned

It wasn't a problem but I used more thinner that what they recommended 

All in all i liked them

Sorry goondman, why would you need to replace nozzles with acrylic use? That makes no sense to me at all. Acrylics have no harsh solvents in them (assuming we are talking about pure water based). Even if they are plugged, throw them in some lacquer thinner and that should remove everything. 

5 hours ago, FalconFan24 said:

Sorry goondman, why would you need to replace nozzles with acrylic use? That makes no sense to me at all. Acrylics have no harsh solvents in them (assuming we are talking about pure water based). Even if they are plugged, throw them in some lacquer thinner and that should remove everything. 

To be specific, I mean water based acrylics. I assume, I was never able to clean the nozzles throughly enough. That includes shooting lacqure thinner thru them. Shrugs shoulders 

19 hours ago, goondman said:

To be specific, I mean water based acrylics. I assume, I was never able to clean the nozzles throughly enough. That includes shooting lacqure thinner thru them. Shrugs shoulders 

So that tells me there are other issues going on with your airbrush nozzle. Might I recommend the following tool, no matter what type of paint you use eventually it clogs the nozzle and your  nozzle needs to be cleaned. This tool is designed to help clean the inside of the nozzle tip.

image.png.4e5e58e77c386ea89685a3be0b071d6f.png

12 minutes ago, FalconFan24 said:

So that tells me there are other issues going on with your airbrush nozzle. Might I recommend the following tool, no matter what type of paint you use eventually it clogs the nozzle and your  nozzle needs to be cleaned. This tool is designed to help clean the inside of the nozzle tip.

image.png.4e5e58e77c386ea89685a3be0b071d6f.png

Those things can damage a nozzle. Instead use interdental brushes, or even better dental paper points. Combined with lacquer thinner or acetone which will solubilize anything there’s no need for hard tools or those pipe cleaners they give you which just scrape up the inside of your airbrush.