Soviet red stars?

Hi,

always looking for generic Soviet stars (and bort numbers) for my 1/72 planes. I saw that begemot makes a 1/72 decals sheet with stars in various sizes, however I'm a bit puzzled by the description, as they say they are 1955 style that were used until the '70s. The only change I saw in the stars was when Russia in 2010 added the blue trim, I assumed the post WWII stars were always the same until then. And in fact I can't seen any difference between those on the sheet and those used in the '80s and '90. What am I missing?

I think aeromaster or superscale made a sheet of 1/72 red stars that were two or three different sizes, and a yellow one as well. I have them in my stash somewhere. I will get you the number after my meeting.

On 1/27/2021 at 8:03 AM, Spook498 said:

I think aeromaster or superscale made a sheet of 1/72 red stars that were two or three different sizes, and a yellow one as well. I have them in my stash somewhere. I will get you the number after my meeting.

Aeromaster did those. I have sets. I believe they are mainly WW2 style. I keep them around for doing "Hollywood" MiGs which don't necessarily use the exact same stars as what the Soviet forces use with the white and red border.

@Rob de Bie reading through the thread you linked, some of the posts seem to have been edited and possibly abridged. @kotey may have answered the question at the time, but if so it's not there anymore. It seems there was a "1955" version of the insignia and a "1973" (or possibly 1974) version, but I can't find any specifics on what the differences in these may be.

My best guess from photos and what the Begemot 1955 instructions show is that the 1955-1973 version has a red/white border (only), while the 1973 version has a additional thin white outer border. The problem is those features seem to have been treated haphazardly by decal manufacturers - and possibly museum restorers. Without close-up and clear photos of airframes that can be verified as 1955-1973 (and confirmation they were finished to the official standard of the era), I'm not able to confirm.

In addition to the Superscale sheet, there were also "postwar" Soviet insignia sheets from CAM and Scale-Master. Techmod also did a set that includes a mix of styles, WWII and postwar.