WINGSY A5M4 Claude 1/48

Hello all,

My latest project will be the 1/48 Claude kit from an Ukraine company.  Not a popular modelling subject for this particular release but I have heard very positive reviews from the few that were built. I thought this aircraft would be a nice addition to the Eduard I-16 I just completed. Dai 

c5fPCUa.jpg

Edited by dai phan
On 1/27/2021 at 9:07 AM, AlienFrogModeller said:

Ohhh, looking forward to this one. I am very interested in this aircraft that led to the birth of the Zero.

Who's markings will you be using, Saburo Sakai?

Cheers

AFM

I have bought few additional sets of the markings. I have yet to decide but likely silver body and red tail. Dai 

Edited by dai phan

Hello modelers...

Started on my latest project. So far the fit is perfect and the enginnering is well thought out. Not bad for a first kit from a relatively unknown Ukraine model company. Dai

70cEuJy.jpg

LStjzhz.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hello all...

I got the cockpit tub installed and fitted into the fuselage. I was worried about the fit but so far everything fits very well. Everything has a key way so there is no guessing on where the parts should go. Tonight will be engine installation into the cowl. For first time release from a new company, the engineering and fit is Tamiya level so far. Dai 

PS: I wish I have a camera that can take close up photos. I was trying to get an up close photo of the tub was so damn blurry ! 

Edited by dai phan

Hello all...

The main airframe is assembled. One fit issue (mine only?) that is when I installed the wing assembly to the fuselage, the forward section of the fuselage does not allow me to properly place the cowl in the correct position. It is placed too far out resulting a big gap. It should be noted the cowl has a small seperation from the fuselage like the Zeros. Wingsy's engineering could be better in this area. May be something I did not do right as there is no report of such problem on the Net. As such I have to trim about .25 mm to allow the cowling to be in the percieved correct postion. The photos found on the Net is grainy and hard to see the exact position of the cowl relative to the fuselage. Models built on the Net also show some variations. Some appear to be like mine while some the cowl is placed way too far forward. Since the rest of the airframe does not involve major building, I do not expect any suprises. Dai 

kKtnn6l.jpg

4 hours ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

Dai, maybe this will help. Note the "gap" from  the trailing edge to the apex of the front of the fuselage.

A5M4.jpg

Cheers

AFM

Thank you very much!  I wished I have seen your photo before I glued in the cowl but I think I get the position pretty close? Dai

N3o3fSS.jpg

Hello modelers...

The red tail will be next. Will wait 48 hours for the silver paint to completely dry before masking. The propeller is primed but not yet painted. The surface detail is extremely fine so you must be ultra careful in sanding and using amount of paint. I use Mr Color so the layers are very thin. Dai 

SQY47Le.jpg

Vt3Uoy9.jpg

Edited by dai phan

I have been thinking of getting this kit, would compliment my Fine Molds one.  But I think the surface detail on the Wingsy kit is so much better I will have to replace the FineMolds kit.

it looks like it is going together well, any had parts?

BW

3 hours ago, BuNo02100 said:

I have been thinking of getting this kit, would compliment my Fine Molds one.  But I think the surface detail on the Wingsy kit is so much better I will have to replace the FineMolds kit.

it looks like it is going together well, any had parts?

BW

Hi there,

I have looked at the Fine Molds Claude and yes, the Wingsy surface detail is superior. The recessed details are so fine that you must be careful in sanding and minimize coats of paint. Had I used enamel or acrylic I am sure the rivets would not have pop up like they did in the photos.  The FM version does not have the rivets and the panel lines are too deep.  I would say this kit is the best Claude in 1/48 scale. As with my last project this one goes togther rather quickly.  Dai 

Hi all ...

The painting is complete. I will have to use the Berna decals as well as Lifelike's. The red color on the Lifelike is too orange and would not match the red color on the tail. A Claude without the red tail ain't a Claude in my book ! Dai 

yRSDW0g.jpg

v8ZfaNX.jpg

Hello all ,

Started to decal the plane today. The Lifelife decals are excellent, thin but strong for repeated positionings. The clear film that carries the large "307" virtually disppeared with an application of Micro Sol. The big problem is the red insignias. The color is too light and should be a bit darker. I do not think it is accurate and perhaps some IJN experts can chime in. They look off as the color does not match with the red tail ( should it? ). Also the red insisignias are thicker than the black wing text making it comform over the wing lights impossible. I just ordered the Dead Design insignias masks to overcome the problem. Any advise to get the wings decals to conform over the wing lights will be appreciated. Dai  

QL4Qfgq.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Dai I have at multiple Decal Softeners in my arsenal for such situations, Microset/sol, Mr Mark Softener, Markfit, and Walther's Solvaset.  Bit for the simple markings of the Hinomaru, I just mask, paint a white base coat then red. As for the comparison of the two reds, I would only guess they would be close in color. 

I'll do some research and see what I can find.

Cheers

AFM

Dai,

Just my very humble opinion...

If these are indeed the same color...as per the artist impression.

A5-M-Red-comparison.jpg

The black and white photo would support this theory. It would appear the colors are the same and show no significant grey shade difference.

A5-M-Red-comparison-II.jpg 

Further evidence, in my humble opinion, shows two colors here, red and black. The Hinomaru and tail in red, the engine cowling fuselage bands and top of wing appear to be black.

A5-M-Red-comparison-III.jpg

As per the another reference appears to support this theory.

A5-M-Red-comparison-IV.jpg

BUT I could be waaay off as well.

Hope that helped.

Cheers

AFM

Hi all ...

Set back time ! I finally found a photo of the actual plane I am modeling ( been trying without luck then it shows up !)  and the illustration on the Lifelike decal sheet is wrong. I have to repaint the red tail to the correct position and remove the tail codes to place in more accurate position. Lifellike decals are good with excellent documentations but inaccurate art work ! It is plane #4 that I am modeling. Dai 

75931df2e21e8b6713e6a917eb4dbb88.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by dai phan