CD48204 - 1/48 USAF Rescue Helicopters

CD48204 will be a 1/48 scale multi-subject sheet for USAF rescue helicopters through the years.

AMP has a S-51, and a HH-43 Huskie kit in the works. I would like to make decals for these types, but I don't think a single-type sheet would sell very well for either type. So I decided to design a single sheet which will have markings for:

-USAF H-5

-USAF HH-43 (both gray and camouflaged)

-USAF HH-1F, HH-1H gray rescue Hueys

-USAF  CH-3C  / CH-3E  (why not? Eventually someone will make a kit or a worthwhile conversion. Maybe decent decals will encourage a few brave folks to try the Attic conversion)

I will exclude USAF CH-53/HH-53s since I they will be included in the CH-53 sheet.

47 minutes ago, KursadA said:

I have covered the USAF rescue Choctaw in 48031 but will include them in a potential 1/72 version.

Now, that is good news! Thanks Kursad. Do you know if AMP or Clear Prop will release a 1/72 HH-43B/F Husky? K/r,  Dutch 

23 hours ago, KursadA said:

CD48204 will be a 1/48 scale multi-subject sheet for USAF rescue helicopters through the years.

AMP has a S-51, and a HH-43 Huskie kit in the works. I would like to make decals for these types, but I don't think a single-type sheet would sell very well for either type. So I decided to design a single sheet which will have markings for:

-USAF H-5

-USAF HH-43 (both gray and camouflaged)

-USAF HH-1F, HH-1H gray rescue Hueys

-USAF  CH-3C  / CH-3E  (why not? Eventually someone will make a kit or a worthwhile conversion. Maybe decent decals will encourage a few brave folks to try the Attic conversion)

I will exclude USAF CH-53/HH-53s since I they will be included in the CH-53 sheet.

Excellent news Kursad.   Looking forward to this sheet.

• 1 year later...

As my AMP HH-43 kits arrived today, if not too late I'd like to put in a plug to include decals for the aircraft involved in William Pitsenbarger's Medal of Honor mission. My internet research suggests it was likely 63-9711 that appears on page 68 of Mutza's H-43 book. 

Edited by David Fifer
  • 2 months later...

With the AMP HH-43 hitting the shelves, are there plans to finish this one off?   

On 6/18/2022 at 4:46 PM, David Fifer said:

As my AMP HH-43 kits arrived today, if not too late I'd like to put in a plug to include decals for the aircraft involved in William Pitsenbarger's Medal of Honor mission. My internet research suggests it was likely 63-9711 that appears on page 68 of Mutza's H-43 book. 

I second the request for this particular subject.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got my AMP HH-43 kit in the mail.   Can't wait for this sheet.    And I'm hoping someone will do a HH-3 Jolly Green in 1/48 in the near future.   Just wishful thinking but it seems like it would be a no brainer for AMP to consider this subject since they are doing so many other neglected helo kits.

Edited by Drifterdon

The HH-3/CH-3 has been neglected for decades. Only the Revell and Aurora kits in 1/72 scale were ever widely available, and they came out in the late '60s - early '70s. Whirlybirds did a 1/72 res HH-3H Pelican (Coast Guard) but it's pretty rare. I've never seen a larger scale HH-3/CH-3. The Navy's SH-3 Seaking is another matter, however, but you can't get there from here.

By chance any markings for the USAF CH-3E "Black Mariah" in 1/72?  I know it is a boring flat black bird with a few stencils in yellow and the tail number in red.

I had the fortunate opportunity to talk to a docent that flew that aircraft today at the Museum of the USAF at Wright Patterson AFB. Very interesting chat we had.

He also showed me a cross section of the main rotor blade of the aircraft as we traded war stories.  He even went on to fly the SR-71 before retiring. I may can get you the

pictures of the stencils & tail number if you need them.

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs, LA 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Credit to Dana Bell who today posted the following on Hyperscale:

"For more than a decade several of us have been copying USAF original color images at the National Archives.  Everything has been copied at very high resolution, and we've given copies of all the scans to the Archives staff to help with their projects.  A few weeks ago the first thousand or so were posted on line.  The Archives' goal is to make the images available to the public.  There's no index yet, but the images are still fun to leaf through:

https://catalog.archives.gov/search?limit=100&page=1&q="Image Courtesy of Mackenzie Bell and Thomas Guffey"

"I suspect that there'll be additions every few months.  Enjoy!"

Browsing the first few pages, I see some nice HH-43 photos that could help with decal design, for example: National Archives NextGen Catalog

I'm still hoping for decals of similarly marked 63-9711 for my AMP kit.

Edited by David Fifer