Academy AH-64D Block II (New Tool)

Hey All,

My first build of 2021. And what an absolute pleasure it was. Took around 10 hours over a week, and other than a minor issues of not following the instructions properly, it went together like LEGO.

I ran into a few issues with a fogged up canopy due to fumes from the primer I'm guessing, and a matte coat that wouldn't cover a glossy part and then turned the whole paint-job powdery white. Managed to salvage it in the end and was left quite happy with the results.

I initially wasn't very excited about the overall olive drab scheme, but references online threw up a lot of interesting weathered aircraft. It was good practice for my detail airbrushing skills, and I added some additional weathering with oil paints.

The hellfire missiles were painted a brighter green (instead of the dull dark green to add some color to an otherwise unsaturated model) and I used chrome decal and a bead of white glue for the nose for the Laser seeker head. The tires were sanded down for the classic Apache weighted look.

yxuWmFU.jpg

25A4fhg.jpg

2lWWvEm.jpg

D10rpYQ.jpg

aE7WVUe.jpg

Happy modeling!

Cheers,

Alex.