Tamiya F-14D Vf-2 Bounty Hunters

This is my contribution to the group.    I started a couple days ago and have the cockpit pretty much done minus the seats.

UwYQStQ.jpg?1

Hopefully it will look something like this when it is done.

lCQq7Og.jpg?1

Using my phone for the pictures, sorry if they are a  little dark.  The camera sees things better than I do.  So what might not pass muster for you looks fine to my tired eyes.

aqMZU72.jpg

iR8QXTF.jpg

KEiNkAG.jpg

PVl53wW.jpg

g1OiWAd.jpg

GIdgHyW.jpg

More to come

Geoff M

Progress.  I have the forward fuselage together.  Needs a slight bit of sanding on the seams but overall goes together very nicely.  I have installed the intake ramps and wheel wells into the rear half of the fuselage.  The last picture shows the front fuselage slid into place and the top and the bottom  of the rear snapped together in place which they literally do.  I will glue them up later.  These kits really are a joy to build.  Thanks for looking.438FvMY.jpgwiY2yht.jpg

khmpEv8.jpg

9wDa07Q.jpg9dKbMYx.jpgO7HZmO0.jpg

Looking great, Geoff!  It IS one very well-engineered kit.   There's always that trepidation when bringing shell halves together but with this kit aligning parts is pure bliss.  You can't help but let out a little laugh every time parts mesh together.   The only areas I had trouble with were the engine bay covers and the beaver tail but I'm quite sure it's a building mistake on my part as I have a tendency not to follow the sequence in the manual.  Also had a bit of trouble closing up some landing gear doors but that's my fault for choosing a gear-up configuration which required some parts-trimming.

Snowed in yesterday so I got a lot of time to work on this kit.  Spent some time getting the panel lines refreshed, got the landing gear together and painted.  Finally got the basic paint coat on and started mottling it to give it a worn look.  Enough words, here are some pics.

rP6829v.jpgWbE1lVW.jpg?1

jZrAd8A.jpg

More to come

Geoff M

Now that's a nice kit. I read so much good things about it I'm almost scared to start mine. I can bet I'll screw something up. It's the only kit I had to save up to buy. Made me feel like a kid again.

You're doing very fine work. Love the cockpit and the touch ups on the paintjob.

I am putting a fork in this one.  100% out of the box.  It is a pleasure to put together.  I may have to do another one.  I have the Steel Beach F-14B conversion that I could use to make a B model...hmm.  Here's the pics.

W0C5Mid.jpg

HLWIMTn.jpg

w9MbSOB.jpg

ANtEjWv.jpg

WOzWdep.jpgne8xpef.jpg

PbII1XM.jpg

wIEYbYB.jpg

6MldOSk.jpg

m3viklO.jpg

It was a fun build.  Anytime, Babe!

Geoff M

Edited by Geoff M

Holy cow! Geoff, that looks awesome. Do you have any idea as to the number of hours you put into it?

I'm getting close (pshah, we'll see) to the painting process on my Hasegawa Cat.....I have several more on the shelf, and I shudder to think of going through the putty-sand-putty-sand-MORE PUTTY-MORE SAND process. Ugh.

I may have to save up and grab a couple of the Tamiya Cats.

Thanks for the  compliments.  I spent about 15 days and probably averaged 3-4 hours/day.  Mostly late at night when my wife would go to bed.  The Tamiya is almost a snap together.

Geoff M