B-52D and B-52H detail/interior colours

Hi all, 

Starting a double OOB build of the Revell D and the AMT H. D will be the box Orlando scheme and the H will be some recent/current example in Gunship Grey.

I'm not going all out on these, the D will be OOB and the H "might" get some of the tips from Paul Boyer's article in FSM from years back. I probably will try the wing box mod.. these will be for me only and not comp standard. 

I know the u/c on the D is silver and on the H white, but what about the rest?

So far I have the following..

D; u/c legs wheels silver. cockpit, wheel wells, uc doors and flap interiors all zinc chromate green. (Should any be zinc chromate yellow?)

H; wheels/legs white. cockpit?, wheel wells green, doors?, outrigger wheels silver? Any yellow? Is the pit dark gull grey or the old green?

Thanks in advance for any help.

For the H, the cockpit interior is a light gray overall. As I recall, Paul used FS 16473 for main gear wells & doors, which I think is spot on. Tip gear is white with chromate yellow wells & doors. 

I think your proposals for the D colors are on track, though not sure about the cockpit...I’d use light gray. 

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

I've made some progress on the Revell kit. I'm now wondering if the u/c doors should be zinc yellow, along with the flaps and flap bays. U/c bays green. Outrigger bays yellow.

Ideas?

Also made a start on the H. Well, cut the wing box like Paul Boyer did. Well, my attempt at what he did. Not sure if i got them the same. 

I thought I was a genius when I figured I'd just install it upside down. It's keyed so it will only go one way.. 

• 4 weeks later...

Funny how you can look at something for ages and not see the obvious. 

My H kit is a old AMT issue and the decals are not the best. I have some Wolfpak decals for individual aircraft markings and waiting to see what Caracal come out with on their upcoming sheet. In the meantime was trying to source an Italeri sheet for the walkways and stencils etc bit the original issue gunship grey sheet is no longer available. The current sheet is but its camo. The current G kit decals are there too but contains both grey and black walkways. Which is current I ask myself. 

Google some full sized H pics and NO walkways are visible!

When did they stop painting them on?

For the D model the primary cockpit color was black.  The seats could be either interior green or dark gull gray, depending on the timeframe.  

Regards,

Murph

B-52D cockpit Vietnam.jpg

B-52D cockpit#2.jpg

B-52D cockpit#3.jpg

B-52H fuselage wheel wells are primarily gray FS #16473 with some elements remaining in interior green.  The wing wheel wells are usually yellow zinc chromate; although, some aircraft appear to have them repainted gray.

Regards,

Murph

B-52G landing gear#10.jpg

B-52H landing gear#5.jpg

B-52H landing gear#4.jpg

B-52H landing gear#2.jpg

B-52H landing gear#3.jpg

B-52H landing gear#1.jpg

Edited by Murph