1/48 Hasegawa F-14B VF-101 CO's "Tomato"

26 minutes ago, crackerjazz said:

Stunning weathering effect, MAC!  You're becoming really good at this.  I've got an Eclipse as well and I understand the nozzle woes.   I'm using the Mr. Hobby PS-267 more for ease of cleaning, although what I like about the Eclipse is that the needle can be pulled out from the front so no paint gets into the trigger valve.

Thanks crackerjazz.

22 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Stunning weathering effect, MAC!  You're becoming really good at this.  I've got an Eclipse as well and I understand the nozzle woes.   I'm using the Mr. Hobby PS-267 more for ease of cleaning, although what I like about the Eclipse is that the needle can be pulled out from the front so no paint gets into the trigger valve.

It had not occurred to me that the needle could be pulled from the front - I'd been using a Q-tip with lacquer thinner to clean the needle, then remove from rear. Now I know!

Thanks again, crackerjazz!

I'm calling the greys "done" - but will inspect shortly to verify. I'm having a fair bit of "dusting" of the paint, can't remember if it's too thin, or not thin enough.

Also got the tails and ventral fins red now, and the canopy needs another shot - that will happen when I mask the upper fuselage.

20210305_214026.jpg

20210305_214041.jpg

20210305_214052.jpg

20210305_214106.jpg

Yee haawwww! Did a clear coat this morning, then masked and sprayed red upper fuselage late afternoon. I was worried that I hadn't continued the red further aft, but after checking some pics, I think it looks right. The head-on shot looks like I may not have gotten the two sides quite symmetrical - the starboard side curves up a bit too much just as it reaches the tip.

20210307_175548.thumb.jpg.c728636fda97881070dbc974edcf455c.jpg20210307_175507.thumb.jpg.abd3a58c161814e4813646b2c836556f.jpg

20210307_175617.jpg

I decided I couldn't leave well enough just stand, so I re-masked and sprayed again (just the offending area). I think it's still off, maybe 0.01mm or so....LOL.

20210308_201238.jpg

Edited by MA Cooke

Nice work on the repaint. I hate doing nose stripes. The only thing worse than these are the ones that don't go all the way to the tip, but are curved somewhere around the radome.

7 minutes ago, Thadeus said:

Nice work on the repaint. I hate doing nose stripes. The only thing worse than these are the ones that don't go all the way to the tip, but are curved somewhere around the radome.

Thanks Thadeus.

Ugh - like a Blue Nose Mustang of the 352nd?

(wow....this was June 2005)

2nd Blue Nose 2.JPG

Edited by MA Cooke
14 minutes ago, MA Cooke said:

Thanks Thadeus.

Ugh - like a Blue Nose Mustang of the 352nd?

(wow....this was June 2005)

2nd Blue Nose 2.JPG

I actually thought of say VF-84 Tomcats. But this one cuts it too.

Ok. I admit, there probably is a way. Measure from some panel line, check the angle or something.

1 hour ago, Thadeus said:

I actually thought of say VF-84 Tomcats. But this one cuts it too.

Ok. I admit, there probably is a way. Measure from some panel line, check the angle or something.

If I recall, I had a circle template - and very lightly pencilled in marks on the plane to mask. On this one, and Tamiya's D model done as "Petie 2nd" (yellow nose), it worked fairly well.  (This was an Accurate Miniatures B model...."HELL-ER-BUST")

• 2 weeks later...

So I had the WHOLE day off Friday, it was my birthday, yay! I didn't position my fluorescent light fixture properly when I set my workbench (desk) back up, it was too close to the wall. I decided Friday to buy a couple of simple clamp-on lights, my local hardware store had the fixtures and two possible reflectors - wide, and narrow. I bought three, two narrow and one wide - and 3 bulbs, all 5000K temperature, two 1600 lumens and one 2600 lumens. I almost don't need my original lights now, LOL.

What started around 9:00 a.m. as a quest for an outlet....oh there's one, I just need to pivot my desk out a bit.....well, by noon I had completely rearranged my area. It didn't solve the light issue, so Saturday morning, two more hours my desk was in a BETTER position, and I moved the large light fixture. With it being better positioned, and the two spot clamp-ons on the end, I am set!

Oh, so clearcoat on the bottom half last night, and I started decals this morning.

Using FIghtertown's "Grim Reapers Domination" sheet, and just today noticed the reaper's eyes are aglow, and he's got a stogie in his mouth. Love it.

20210321_161249.jpg

20210321_100500.jpg

20210321_112944.jpg

Aaaaannnnnnnd my almost 18 year-old insisted we go the LHS (Hobbytown USA just north of Cincinnati, in a northeast suburb) and she wanted to buy a kit for me - I had to pick one out. And yes, this was $0.05 under her budget.

I've now doubled my Tamiya Cat inventory, and plan to build one of these next - as a B in VF-143 colors, dare I say "French" blue? Pictured is the LAST model I ever finished, before my worbench was dismantled for almost 14 years. This was shipped to Oceana for the "Sunset" model contest in 2006.

I may be hitting Brian up for his sheet with these markings - I have the AeroMaster, but they're a bit lacking....

20210319_152329.thumb.jpg.cedaddfdb24cb1a048dbc547b91ca09b.jpg

517086065_af509f3a0c_o.jpg

VF-143 & VF-11 Decals.jpg

Is that a basement or garage workshop?  I lost my airbrush area to one of our cats that needs her own room and just realized I need to figure something out to get my airbrush up and running again. Been watching when folks post their work areas ; )

Belated happy birthday, MAC!!!  Do you mind our calling you MAC? Short for McGyver since you seem to be mechanically inclined  and because MA Cooke seems too formal : )  Hey you're lucky to have a daughter who buys you kits for your birthday : )  and getting another Tamiya cat must have made it extra special.  BTW, Tamiya should really consider releasing a B to complete their lineup. 

5 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

Belated happy birthday, MAC!!!  Do you mind our calling you MAC? Short for McGyver since you seem to be mechanically inclined  and because MA Cooke seems too formal : )  Hey you're lucky to have a daughter who buys you kits for your birthday : )  and getting another Tamiya cat must have made it extra special.  BTW, Tamiya should really consider releasing a B to complete their lineup. 

MAC is fine - my foist name is Mitch, but MAC or Mac works.

Yep - she has a PT job at Starbucks, and when she told me Thursday she wanted to buy a kit for me, I just needed to pick one out, I asked, "What's budget?" "Uh.....two....two-fifty?" I immediately thought of the Hobby Boss 1/32 B-24 series......LOL. She quickly amended....."Can you find something for $100 or less?" And Hobbytown just got a new shipment in, they had 2 D's and one A model.

8 hours ago, Gary F said:

Is that a basement or garage workshop?  I lost my airbrush area to one of our cats that needs her own room and just realized I need to figure something out to get my airbrush up and running again. Been watching when folks post their work areas ; )

Gary - it is in my basement. We have entirely TOO MUCH crap, but we threw away (and donated) a bunch of stuff to carve out space for my desk. It was dismantled and stored in the garage way back in February 2007, and I just got it back in the basement this past November. This is my big coping mechanism for these new times.

If you look to the right, a door is propped open - that door leads to our garage (also full of crap), and I have two box fans blowing out - one in doorway to garage, the other just under the garage door (which is open about 3 ft). With one basement window open, so far this system works to keep the paint fumes from filtering upstairs. (Which is critical, I'm using Mr Color lacquers.)

I still need to build a fume hood, and I have a big-a55 blower - a centrifugal blower off a dust collector.....it's big. 1500 CFM, 2 hp motor, nameplate says 20A. I doubt that my needs will require the motor to run at full load, so I'm hoping my household circuits can handle it. (I did test it...it works, but I've no idea of how much current it was drawing.)

Thanks Mac.  Except for kids to buy me kits most of the rest seems quite similar. The room I used to use for airbrush stuff was easily vented w fans and window. After I lost that room the only spot left is on the opposite side of the house and wind blows into the room so fans won’t vent out, so I’m stuck for now.  Probably going to have to figure out something in the garage, but as you mentioned, it’s full of crap.

I’ll be glad when my Has cat is standing on its legs, too. Yours is looking good!

30 minutes ago, Gary F said:

Thanks Mac.  Except for kids to buy me kits most of the rest seems quite similar. The room I used to use for airbrush stuff was easily vented w fans and window. After I lost that room the only spot left is on the opposite side of the house and wind blows into the room so fans won’t vent out, so I’m stuck for now.  Probably going to have to figure out something in the garage, but as you mentioned, it’s full of crap.

I’ll be glad when my Has cat is standing on its legs, too. Yours is looking good!

Thank you sir.