Does anyone have any tips for hand painting with oil paint?

Hey everyone! I came across a cool video by PLASMO on youtube about hand painting with oil paints. Unfortunately I don't have a good space for airbrushing at the moment so I figured giving a different hand painting technique a try on maybe a sacrifice kit. Does anyone have any experience with using oils this way? I think it creates a nice effect and will hopefully look better than the thick acrylic painted models of my younger days!

Video in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BitmaECqO30&t=150s

• 2 weeks later...

Truly amazing.  I have watched a lot of PLASMO YouTubes.  Great modeler, and his techniques are inspiring to say the least.  I have a Tamiya Brewster Buffalo that I have wanted to start and I think this will be my test platform for trying this technique.

Thanks Breaddy-Stack!  Good stuff

r/Gy Dan

Just now, YF65_CH53E said:

Truly amazing.  I have watched a lot of PLASMO YouTubes.  Great modeler, and his techniques are inspiring to say the least.  I have a Tamiya Brewster Buffalo that I have wanted to start and I think this will be my test platform for trying this technique.

Thanks Breaddy-Stack!  Good stuff

r/Gy Dan

Glad you enjoyed it! I’ve been really wanting to take a crack at it too! My only reservation is getting the proper colors from oil paints. While we have an abundance of acrylic, enamel, and lacquer paints specifically made for modelers, oil is just made in general colors and might require some creativity.

11 minutes ago, Breaddy-Stack said:

Glad you enjoyed it! I’ve been really wanting to take a crack at it too! My only reservation is getting the proper colors from oil paints. While we have an abundance of acrylic, enamel, and lacquer paints specifically made for modelers, oil is just made in general colors and might require some creativity.

This is why I want to try my Brewster Buffalo, I am going to do it in early USMC WWII blue's and grays.  Colors I can easily play with from Hobby Lobby or Michaels craft store for very little money to experiment.