SJU-5/6 Vs. SJU-17 Headrest Accuracy?

Hey everyone! Admittedly I'm quite bad at telling these two seats apart, but I'm looking over the kit for the Kinetic Hornet and I noticed that the ejection seat included with the kit appears to be the SJU-17 based on the shape of the headrest profile from the side. From the top perspective there appears to be the green cover that to me always reminded me of the top of a Chinese take out box. I always thought the top of the SJU-17 was the "X" and the SJU-5/6 had the green folds on the top. Is this proper for the Kinetic kit? Was the SJU-17 fitted with this cover as well? Thanks!

9 hours ago, Breaddy-Stack said:

Kinetic Hornet and I noticed that the ejection seat included with the kit appears to be the SJU-17 

Sir,

The Kinetic Hornets for the two releases I have built has the SJU-17 representation. Most of the current, if not all, Hornets are equipped with this seat.

Early Hornets has the SJU-5/6, depending on the country and productions lines, the migration towards or initial install of the SJU- 9/10 (I know Canada and Australia each had different harnesses used) then onto the current SJU-17 seats was done over many years. So depending on what version you are building and for what country will determine the timeline you wish to depict what seat was in the cockpit.

SJU-5/6 & 9/10

The "green folds" and was fabric in nature and housed the parachute pack; this is the biggest visual cue for these types. I would argue, for myself only, is the harness connections as the second biggest cue. Only because  some of in here, have strapped in so many pilots and I had the pleasure of being strapped in numerous times as well. Plus over 2500 hrs of engine run time both Class I and II (80% thrust and Afterburn).

SJU-17

Definitely was the "X" and houses a much better performing parachute pack. 

SJU-17 has no cover other than the metal "X", when not in use, flying ops, typically a red cover was placed over the parachute pack for multiple reasons (cleanliness, heat, etc)

Essentially the seat packs stayed the same and were common to all the Hornet versions installed.

Here is a great site that will detail the seats and with good references.

http://www.ejectionsite.com/index.html

HTH

Cheers

AFM

3 hours ago, Breaddy-Stack said:

Hey AFM!

Thank you for the reference material you have provided! I personally didn’t even know there was an interim seat between the 5/6 and the 17!

So based on those descriptions should the parachute pack on the seat kit be corrected?

Thanks mate!

Breaddy-Stack,

I may have misguided you...terminology might be the issue here, my fault sorry.

Here you will find the proper pics of a NACES or Mk14 or SJU17A...or whatever who is calling what depends on their background...LOL.

https://martin-baker.com/products/mk14-ejection-seat/

This is the parachute pack...lets call this the pillow top version of the early SJUs.

Image14.jpg

This is the seat pack...

Seat-bottom-front.jpg

This has essentially stayed the same.

The Kinetic kit, is like a hybrid of a seat combining all the physical attributes of the early SJUs and the latest version. So depending on you build...if you want a SJU17A...then a replacement will be required to meet the proper representation.

Funny you bring this up, this will be the next steps I am going to describe in my build.

Here is some local discussions...

I have a small production line going here...

HTH

Cheers

AFM

2 hours ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

Breaddy-Stack,

I may have misguided you...terminology might be the issue here, my fault sorry.

Here you will find the proper pics of a NACES or Mk14 or SJU17A...or whatever who is calling what depends on their background...LOL.

https://martin-baker.com/products/mk14-ejection-seat/

This is the parachute pack...lets call this the pillow top version of the early SJUs.

Image14.jpg

This is the seat pack...

Seat-bottom-front.jpg

This has essentially stayed the same.

The Kinetic kit, is like a hybrid of a seat combining all the physical attributes of the early SJUs and the latest version. So depending on you build...if you want a SJU17A...then a replacement will be required to meet the proper representation.

Funny you bring this up, this will be the next steps I am going to describe in my build.

Here is some local discussions...

I have a small production line going here...

HTH

Cheers

AFM

AFM, 

Thank you for the very detailed response! No worries either haha I tried to describe it with words when pictures might have assisted! 

Taking a second look the kinetic kit has the hole in the seat cushion as well. Kinda a funny amalgamation. I looked into some finemolds accessories and I'll see how those shape up, or I may just accept it as a funny quirk of the kit.

Also very nice work on your CF188s! I've popped into that thread a few times to see how its been going. Always like to see the quirks of a kit before I make any substantial plans for a build!

Thanks again mate!

10 minutes ago, Breaddy-Stack said:

AFM, 

Thank you for the very detailed response! No worries either haha I tried to describe it with words when pictures might have assisted! 

Taking a second look the kinetic kit has the hole in the seat cushion as well. Kinda a funny amalgamation. I looked into some finemolds accessories and I'll see how those shape up, or I may just accept it as a funny quirk of the kit.

Also very nice work on your CF188s! I've popped into that thread a few times to see how its been going. Always like to see the quirks of a kit before I make any substantial plans for a build!

Thanks again mate!

You're more than welcome...and thank you for the kind words.

That hole in the seat cushion...allows the techs to visually check the O2 level gauge in the seat pack. 

Cheers

AFM

Edited by AlienFrogModeller