New modern USAF seated pilot by Reedoak

Hello !
here is Reedoak first USAF modern fighter pilot : 
F-16 pilot, sitting, with survival vest, JHMCS helmet, pistol in holster, and without life preserver.

typical for combat flights over dry aeras.

21020711561823927217248321.png

21020711543523927217248320.jpg

21020711543423927217248319.jpg

have a nice day !
Norbert

• 6 months later...

I just finished this for a group build over on Britmodeler, using Reedoak's F-16 pilot and it is great! The photos don't do justice, so will try to take some new photos in daylight lighting. 

51377030424_74ff4b7240_z.jpg

51376295381_99be06aabe_z.jpg

51377030304_65f7989132_z.jpg

• 1 year later...

Norbert,

I would like to request something a little more retro, a USMC [ or USN] RF-8 Crusader pilot from the early 1960s,  say Cuban Missile Crisis timeframe, but stepping up the aircraft ladder.  Here are a couple of photos. 

UncleBunny.thumb.jpg.12bcd86254941f5b1e1b2cb288269ab2.jpg.fe3953aaa9f95b8dd754920ad139fc58.jpg

3444EA42-0E6C-4493-8418-284798B951F5_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.e4ec47a9e3c30727013f978760233e81.jpeg.8c71b71974e547da85383f0e9e359e2c.jpeg

Hi Dutch,

Thing is that everything is possible of course. But please have a look at Norberts site to see how these 3D prints are produced. It is important to know that he scans actual people dressed up in the correct period flight suits / boots / helmets . . .

To have all that on hand with a “model” of suitable size is not so easy! I am sure Norbert would be more than happy if someone has all those period gear for that RF-8 Crusader pilot and is willing to lend it to him for a short time. Is it a sitting figure or getting up into the cockpit is the less of problem from then on.

The beauty of Norberts figures is that it is not a CAD design where someone is sitting in his comfy armchair at home and using his fantasy creates figures.

On Norberts figures I love all the fine details, all the wrinkles, creases !!!!! A sculptor can create something approximately similar but the real thing is 10000% more authentic and believable!

Best regards

Gabor   

27 minutes ago, ya-gabor said:

Hi Dutch,

Thing is that everything is possible of course. But please have a look at Norberts site to see how these 3D prints are produced. It is important to know that he scans actual people dressed up in the correct period flight suits / boots / helmets . . .

To have all that on hand with a “model” of suitable size is not so easy! I am sure Norbert would be more than happy if someone has all those period gear for that RF-8 Crusader pilot and is willing to lend it to him for a short time. Is it a sitting figure or getting up into the cockpit is the less of problem from then on.

The beauty of Norberts figures is that it is not a CAD design where someone is sitting in his comfy armchair at home and using his fantasy creates figures.

On Norberts figures I love all the fine details, all the wrinkles, creases !!!!! A sculptor can create something approximately similar but the real thing is 10000% more authentic and believable!

Best regards

Gabor   

@ya-gabor I had no idea of how Norbert creates his beautiful pilot figures. I agree, that by scanning actual live models with period garb is the way to go.  

@Niels, Sorry man!  I just had an idea, got excited and saw an opportunity with this thread. I will start a new thread next time.

Kindest regards,

Dutch

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

I just had an idea, got excited and saw an opportunity with this thread. I will start a new thread next time.

Kindest regards,

Dutch

The idea is perfect!!!  Only how do you actually make it. It would be fantastic to have almost all pilot / techinician / onlooker . . . figures of different time periods. The only question how do you do it???  And it is perfectly clear that it is now not a technological question but more to have the real original!

For example I know in one collection some WW2 Hungarian AF bomber pilot winter overall (really fantastic looking), even some boots to go with it, thinking of it, it is possible that I have the leather helmet for it in my stash to make it work. But can you have the same selection of gear for so many other period pieces??? And dont forget they ALL have to be the approx size of one given person so that he can get it on for a full body scan. What are the chances of that??? This is why you see a lot of todays figures and some cooperating friends to go with it. 

I am sure somewhere someone has one of those Crusader overalls hanging somewhere in the attic, could have the boots, gloves . . .  But where and who??? and will he lend it?

It would be nice to hear the opinion of Norbert also.

Best regards

Gabor

On 8/17/2021 at 10:28 PM, Niels said:

I just finished this for a group build over on Britmodeler, using Reedoak's F-16 pilot and it is great! The photos don't do justice, so will try to take some new photos in daylight lighting. 

51377030424_74ff4b7240_z.jpg

Hi Niels, I somehow mist your F-16, nice to see our pilot in situ ! (maybe I was on a beach this day, looking at...)

On 12/17/2022 at 5:04 PM, Niels said:

Hi Norbert

Any thoughts on doing this one in a new version with Scorpion helmet? 
Also would be nice to have the same adapted for F-15 use if possible? 

Thanks 

I may contact Thales, but a walkaround of the helmet would be welcome too

On 12/18/2022 at 3:51 AM, Dutch said:

Norbert,

I would like to request something a little more retro, a USMC [ or USN] RF-8 Crusader pilot from the early 1960s,  say Cuban Missile Crisis timeframe, but stepping up the aircraft ladder.  Here are a couple of photos. 

Hmm, so far I still need to find somewhere an integrated harness vest for such a project (in the right size). Those kind  of projects take often a certain time to come to frutition. Just got miraculously the LPU vest to complete a greek pilot project. Orher projects are in good ways too, all a question of time and opportunities

On 12/18/2022 at 1:51 PM, ya-gabor said:

Hi Dutch,

Best regards

Gabor   

Hi Gabor,

Yes, the challenge is to undestand what is what, and then find it. Takes usualy a lot of time, but gives also a lot of fun by researching and studying.

It's just great when a new figure comes out as a first testshot.

Have a nice day

Norbert

On 12/18/2022 at 4:22 PM, ya-gabor said:

The idea is perfect!!!  Only how do you actually make it. It would be fantastic to have almost all pilot / techinician / onlooker . . . figures of different time periods. The only question how do you do it???  And it is perfectly clear that it is now not a technological question but more to have the real original!

For example I know in one collection some WW2 Hungarian AF bomber pilot winter overall (really fantastic looking), even some boots to go with it, thinking of it, it is possible that I have the leather helmet for it in my stash to make it work. But can you have the same selection of gear for so many other period pieces??? And dont forget they ALL have to be the approx size of one given person so that he can get it on for a full body scan. What are the chances of that??? This is why you see a lot of todays figures and some cooperating friends to go with it. 

I am sure somewhere someone has one of those Crusader overalls hanging somewhere in the attic, could have the boots, gloves . . .  But where and who??? and will he lend it?

It would be nice to hear the opinion of Norbert also.

Best regards

Gabor

Hi gabor, if you have some nice full gears, you're welcome here (also if you don't have). Well, chances are always low but it is incredible what some people have. I have also a good part of gears lend by friends. So so far i'm not at the end of what I can do with what is here. However, in some thematic like a modern british pilot, everything is to do (studie the gears, find somebody who have them, etc...); any help appreciated on any thematic, from everybody 

• 9 months later...

Hi Norbert 
Did you ever consider releasing this in a F-15 version with hands on throttle and stick? Should be a relative straight forward update which would expand the USAF seated pilot range to match the same USN range? 

On 2/7/2021 at 5:16 AM, norbert said:

Hello !
here is Reedoak first USAF modern fighter pilot : 
F-16 pilot, sitting, with survival vest, JHMCS helmet, pistol in holster, and without life preserver.

typical for combat flights over dry aeras.

21020711561823927217248321.png

21020711543523927217248320.jpg

21020711543423927217248319.jpg

have a nice day !
Norbert

Any links?