Any good AH-1G Walkarounds out there?

28 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Thanks Ray.   Think the belts would be the same as those on Hueys of the same time period?

Absolutely.  The idea of the Cobra was to use as many common parts from the Huey as possible.  

Ray

Hi Ray,

Thank you for replying to my message so promptly.   Yes, I see the ducting that is attached to the front seat so your images are most helpful in that regard.   Just a couple of quick questions for you though:   Is the outlet duct attached to the front or back of the seat armour?   Where does the front crewman's ECS piping exit the central frame/bulkhead from?    Finally, did the AH-1G's have a tubular backrest frame behind the armour?   Sorry to be pain  :)

Kind regards,

Wayne

8 hours ago, Grissom said:

Hi Ray,

Thank you for replying to my message so promptly.   Yes, I see the ducting that is attached to the front seat so your images are most helpful in that regard.   Just a couple of quick questions for you though:   Is the outlet duct attached to the front or back of the seat armour?   Where does the front crewman's ECS piping exit the central frame/bulkhead from?    Finally, did the AH-1G's have a tubular backrest frame behind the armour?   Sorry to be pain  🙂

Kind regards,

Wayne

Wayne,

This diagram shows the entire ducting for the ECS.  The visible parts just come right up beside the seat.

493172415_AH-1GTM55-1520-221-10_19JUN71_00001_Page_144.thumb.jpg.4f8cbbc53cd5ad139070874eedc680bc.jpg

This is an AH-1E so disregard everything but the seats and ECS, but you should be able to see much better how the hose connects to the seat.

DSC_0751.thumb.JPG.45f3be401e60e094ac0927ff2a6402b4.JPG

DSC_0737.thumb.JPG.333089cb381d152403634698bcbd995c.JPG

And here's the rear seat on an AH-1F.  You can see how much crap has been added over the years, but the hose attachment is the same.

PICT0188.thumb.JPG.410037cf674a9311c3887b0b7bf9f612.JPG

There is no framing to the seat.  The hose connects directs to the seat cushion and both cushions look the same with the solid edges and perforated centers.  This restored G shows the overall seats and ECS pretty well.

P1020784.thumb.JPG.ac95ba44d5b136e8e33535c09e74db0e.JPG

Hope that helps.

Ray

Hi Ray,

Wow, I've just had one of those 'penny dropped' moments.   So the entire backrest seat cushion is a diffuser outlet for the ECS?   Genius!   Thank you, so much, for clearing that up (and for the excellent pictures and diagram).  🙂

Cheers,

Wayne

34 minutes ago, Grissom said:

Hi Ray,

[...] So the entire backrest seat cushion is a diffuser outlet for the ECS?   Genius!   [...]

Cool idea indeed, when I was shown this in an AH-1F several years ago, I thought (and still think) how much I would like such a system in my car.

Cheers

Ian

6 hours ago, Grissom said:

Hi Ray,

Wow, I've just had one of those 'penny dropped' moments.   So the entire backrest seat cushion is a diffuser outlet for the ECS?   Genius!   Thank you, so much, for clearing that up (and for the excellent pictures and diagram).  🙂

Cheers,

Wayne

Wayne,

Yep, you literally have ice cold air blowing on your back.  It is awesome.  The old Vietnam Cobra pilots will tell you it was no fun having to fly the bird without AC and that sometimes the ones with AC were so efficient they would throw ice crystals in your face though the forward vents!  This photo from Craig Bond shows what I mean.

Ray 

No photo description available.

• 2 years later...

A bit late to the party, but after recently picking up Special Hobby's 1/48 kit I was doing a search for AH-1G photos, this has been a really useful thread. It may seem heretical to some, but I am planning on doing one of the Spanish Navy aircraft. These were based at Rota, Spain, where I did quite a few USN P-3 deployments.

ah-1g_1_copy.jpg

Edited by DonSS3
1 hour ago, DonSS3 said:

It may seem heretical to some, but I am planning on doing one of the Spanish Navy aircraft.

I don’t think so but I also have a stalled 1/72 SH build in the same markings. Please post photos of the build. 

On 9/21/2023 at 10:34 AM, DonSS3 said:

A bit late to the party, but after recently picking up Special Hobby's 1/48 kit I was doing a search for AH-1G photos, this has been a really useful thread. It may seem heretical to some, but I am planning on doing one of the Spanish Navy aircraft. These were based at Rota, Spain, where I did quite a few USN P-3 deployments.

ah-1g_1_copy.jpg

The AH-1G pictured in this thread at the US Army Aviation Museum was actually a Spanish G model.  She served in the Spanish Navy as 007-1.

Ray