FB-111 in 1/144?

I'm planning to build every Strategic Air Command bomber and refueler, from the B-29 to the B-2, in 1/144 scale. Maybe my search fu is bad, but I'm turning up no kits with SAC decal options and no aftermarket SAC options in 1/144. Is there any way to create a SAC FB-111 in this scale other than buying decals for a bigger scale and reprinting them?

I have not seen any for the FB. You might be able to at least piece together a USAF and serial number together from markings of an aircraft from a similar time period, such as maybe an early production or FSD F-16. Scale Master decals did do USAF lettering and numbering in various scales down to 1/144 on sheets in insignia blue, white and red once. But they are very tough to find.

Your best kit source is the old Otaki/Arii F-111E kit as it has the best details in 1/144 and it is light years better than the Crown offering (which I believe is what Minicraft used and Revell before that). Of course you will need to extend the wing tips since the FB used longer span wings. I can't recall if the FB used Triple Plow 1 or 3 intakes. LS 1/144 weapon sets with the huge drop tanks are somewhat easy to find on the secondary market. One of the older Crown B-52G kits (which Minicraft repopped A LOT) could get you some alternative ordnance, such as perhaps some SRAMs.

As I recall too, the Arii issue of the kit used a simple USAF and serial number on the tail, just like what the FBs had. So if you aren't picky about a specific airframe number, you can likely get away with painting it in the SIOP camo scheme and just using the stock decals and most people won't be the wiser. 

On 2/10/2021 at 7:30 AM, stu_fishing said:

For the long wings/intakes Ozmods has you covered.

Excellent, I had no idea they did the longer wings in 1/144. That also means an F-111B conversion is potentially possible as well if one wants to shorten the nose a bit.

Well they also have a B Nose 😉 I have one in the works as we speak. I also tracked down some nice decals for the B from ebay.jp.

Of course you can always get the pricey TripleNuts 3D printed Aardvarks, which cover most versions, the print quality of my other TriplNuts kits however is not so great, therefore I restrained to buy more.