Anyone else get their covid vaccines yet?

I received my second dose last Tuesday (Moderna). What a giant relief it was!  I was a bit sick the next day with a mild fever, muscle/joint aches, headache, general malaise but felt fine after that except for injection site soreness. 

Here in Italy we are behind schedule (they are behind schedule with vaccines delivery in all continental Europe), so maybe I'll get my dose this summer. Now they are focusing mainly on medics, paramedics and elderly

On 2/20/2021 at 7:44 AM, SBARC said:

I agree.  I work with a guy that believes a variety of things...earth is flat....G5 causes Covid etc...the usual oddball stuff.

He was trying to convince me not to take the vaccine because they will inject me with nanobots...that will migrate to my brain.  Then the government can control my mind using my smart phone to wirelessly control the nanobots in my brain.  I replied that should help me organized my daily routine.  He is fun to listen too but after 5 minutes my brain starts to shutdown.  Heck if we had that level of technology....I'm sure the government would think of better things to do with such advanced technology.

Vaccines dramatically improve cell phone coverage 🙂

Gents,

Here in the UK we're doing pretty well with the vaccine, although it makes a refreshing change considering our track record on Covid so far hasn't been that good. Mum and dad are in their late 70's and early 80's and both had their jabs well over a month ago, no problems at all. Everybody I know in that age group has been vaccinated here for some time. Although it varies by area, they're a lot lower down that list now. At 51 with no other health complications to prioritize me I was called in last Friday morning. All done in around 15 minutes, a slightly aching shoulder in the last day or two but that's it. 

Gary    

Here in Canada there was an old folks home that had vaccinated all people that were interested.  Not all staff or residents chose to get the vaccine.  Recently 10 residents and 2 staff came down with covid.  Of the 10 residents that got covid after the vaccine.....8 had been vaccinated and although they had covid...they had no symptoms.  So the vaccine gave them enough protection that they conquered covid like a 15 year old.

I am not sure how the other 2 residents and 2 staff that were not vaccinated made out with their covid.  This is a very new story.  So the vaccines do not prevent covid, but the vaccines certainly do take away the big dangers of covid.

Even the J& J vaccine would suit me fine.  That vaccine will keep me out of the hospital and keep me from dying....that is all I really care about.

I received the J&J vaccine on Monday as Rhode Island made teachers a priority.  All my joints were very achy Tuesday afternoon and night.  Woke up Wednesday and felt fine.

And like Steve stated above, if it will keep me out of the hospital and keep me from dying, I'm good with it.

13 hours ago, SBARC said:

So the vaccines do not prevent covid, but the vaccines certainly do take away the big dangers of covid.

So the vaccines produce antibodies to help cope with the disease. Aren't drugs that do the same work like Regeneron's region-cov2? if this is true then for what reasons should anyone get the vaccine instead of a similar effectiveness drug?

Any thoughts?

Edited by SERNAK

Well I suffered through Covid for about 10 days back in late January.   

I don't recommend it.  Doctor told me to quarantine for ten days, but my work required at least two weeks with a negative test before returning to work.  I am close to 60, and had the fever & chills for about 4 days, body aches (felt like a truck ran over me) for the first ten days, and just a general lack of energy the whole time.  I never lost my sense of taste or smell. The wife pumped me full of vitamin C, D3, Zinc, and Motrin.  After day ten, I was feeling pretty good.  I got a covid test at a local pharmacy drive-thru on day 12, but it was positive, so I scheduled an appt with my Primary Care Physician, who tested me in his office with a ten minute test that showed negative.  I asked my doctor about the reduced symptoms, and he said they just don't know everything yet.  He said my youth (ha!) and good health contributed to my quick recovery, but he also said that my O pos blood type has been identified as a beneficial factor.  A neg seems to have the hardest time.  Wife never got it.  

Anyway, I got my first Pfizer shot today and the next one in three weeks. I will be ready to travel by mid-April.

K/r,

Dutch 

Edited by Dutch
On 3/11/2021 at 8:07 AM, SERNAK said:

So the vaccines produce antibodies to help cope with the disease. Aren't drugs that do the same work like Regeneron's region-cov2? if this is true then for what reasons should anyone get the vaccine instead of a similar effectiveness drug?

Any thoughts?

I'd much rather have built in protection then worrying about dealing with covid.  But I'm 60.  The vaccines do seem to offer first rate protection.  If you do take the vaccine and get covid......you will have mild or no symptoms. 

The big question is whether you can then infect un-vaccinated people.  I have a co-worker that had a lung transplant that can't be vaccinated.  I worry about people like that.

Being on a trip and getting covid and having to track down meds like Regeneron might prove tricky. 

I'm totally down with getting the shot(s).   Just waiting until I qualify which in my state appears to still be a ways off.   One side benefit is that in speaking with my travel agent (I'm an avid traveler / cruiser), she is hearing that many countries and most/all cruise lines may require proof of vaccination before you can book travel.   

My sister tells me my stepfather was bound and determined NOT to get vaccinated. The guv'mint was trying to kill off rural America and he wasn't having any of that, nosiree bob.

Mom had a routine check-up a week ago. They both left the doctor's office vaccinated 👍

On 3/12/2021 at 5:52 PM, Dutch said:

Well I suffered through Covid for about 10 days back in late January.   

I don't recommend it.  Doctor told me to quarantine for ten days, but my work required at least two weeks with a negative test before returning to work.  I am close to 60, and had the fever & chills for about 4 days, body aches (felt like a truck ran over me) for the first ten days, and just a general lack of energy the whole time.  I never lost my sense of taste or smell. The wife pumped me full of vitamin C, D3, Zinc, and Motrin.  After day ten, I was feeling pretty good.  I got a covid test at a local pharmacy drive-thru on day 12, but it was positive, so I scheduled an appt with my Primary Care Physician, who tested me in his office with a ten minute test that showed negative.  I asked my doctor about the reduced symptoms, and he said they just don't know everything yet.  He said my youth (ha!) and good health contributed to my quick recovery, but he also said that my O pos blood type has been identified as a beneficial factor.  A neg seems to have the hardest time.  Wife never got it.  

Anyway, I got my first Pfizer shot today and the next one in three weeks. I will be ready to travel by mid-April.

K/r,

Dutch 

Damn Dutch, glad you made it through ok. I’ve got a friend who is type O, he got it and basically had the sniffles. Me, I’m A-..., as is my wife. We’ve both been very careful, eating well, taking vitamins etc,  as it’s been suspected for awhile A blood types don’t fair as well. .I got my first shot last week, some arm soreness and a little tired the next day but otherwise fine. Just found out an old buddy of mine back east, age 54, 6’4” body builder type build, died after an month long struggle. Was in ICU about 3 weeks on a ventilator. Whole things is just nuts, the randomness of it. Same friend of mine who had the sniffles with it, his father in his 70s, cancer survivor with one lung, spent a week in the hospital as a precaution but was fine. Also type O blood. Something to be said for that!

On 3/11/2021 at 9:07 AM, SERNAK said:

Any thoughts?

Regeneron is a treatment for people with COVID-19, a vaccine is intended to prevent it.

You are comparing apples to oranges.

On 3/11/2021 at 10:07 AM, SERNAK said:

Any thoughts?

There are (at least) four different types of COVID vaccines.  The vaccines don't "help cope with the disease", they trigger an immune response through a variety of methods that helps the body defend against being infected by the virus.  By doing so they reduce the likelihood of coming down with the disease.  

Some educational reading:

https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/there-are-four-types-covid-19-vaccines-heres-how-they-work

Just got mine, (essential worker in a mass outbreak facility). No issue, arm did not fall off and the government is sending no more microwave messages to my brain then they usually do.

I have a neighbor, age about 40, who has had Covid THREE TIMES !!!  He went to his doctor, told him he was a serial alcoholic and couldn’t stay out of bars and couldn’t wear a mask while he was drinking, and needed the vaccine so he wouldn’t catch it a 4th (& 5th & 6th?) time. 😱 😱 😱  The doc gave him the vaccine ~2 months ago.  

I’m not making thus up this guy lives next door to me. Oh the stories I could tell....

6 hours ago, phantom said:

Just got mine, (essential worker in a mass outbreak facility). No issue, arm did not fall off and the government is sending no more microwave messages to my brain then they usually do.

Finally! Glad to hear it, Shawn. You're in a tough work environment, and it's about time you got your first dose.

Here in Quebec, they're focusing on Montreal (about 85% of the cases are there). As of today, appointments for 65+ can be made in Montreal, but here in Quebec City it's still 70+.

Hoping to get it some time in April or early May. Fingers crossed.

ALF