Anyone else get their covid vaccines yet?

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

For some, fake news is the only news.  I've heard from people that I respect and had assumed were fairly intelligent that the vaccines were just a plot by Dr. Faucci to get rich (because apparently he's heavily invested in all big pharma companies), it's a plot by Bill Gates to sterilize the world (but especially Africa) to enforce his nefarious vision of population control, or it's just completely unnecessary and it's just a plot by the party in power in the US to control all the "sheeple".   Crazy days we are living folks...

BTW, just got my 2nd Pfizer shot.   5 hours in, so far so good.   I've been staying hydrated and took ibuprophin right before I went in.   Wish me luck.  

Yes, perhaps ALL of that is extremely far fetched fake news. But what isn't fake news is that the vaccine (which I've had both rounds BTW so I'm not against it completely) is a rush to market, non-FDA approved, emergency use only drug that had bypassed many safeguard tests in a way in which some would say is pretty unscientific. Whether or not you should get it is a personal decision and should remain that way. But MANY of the policies that were being implemented were practically useless and worse, potentially harmful. And I've heard it said by MANY MANY pediatricians that they feel the risks of giving the shot to anyone under 18-20, with no major pre-existing conditions that would render them at risk, is far more risky than waiting until a complete barrage of research is done on it's full effects. That age group has a better than 99.89% survival rate. But some don't question these things at all. Perhaps sheeple is a bit harsh of a term, but at the very least some people are extremely trusting in the unknowns.

1 hour ago, niart17 said:

Yes, perhaps ALL of that is extremely far fetched fake news. But what isn't fake news is that the vaccine (which I've had both rounds BTW so I'm not against it completely) is a rush to market, non-FDA approved, emergency use only drug that had bypassed many safeguard tests in a way in which some would say is pretty unscientific. Whether or not you should get it is a personal decision and should remain that way. But MANY of the policies that were being implemented were practically useless and worse, potentially harmful. And I've heard it said by MANY MANY pediatricians that they feel the risks of giving the shot to anyone under 18-20, with no major pre-existing conditions that would render them at risk, is far more risky than waiting until a complete barrage of research is done on it's full effects. That age group has a better than 99.89% survival rate. But some don't question these things at all. Perhaps sheeple is a bit harsh of a term, but at the very least some people are extremely trusting in the unknowns.

I’ve got no issues with the above.   At the end of the day, it’s a personal decision and it’s not black and white.   I put a great deal of thought into getting vaccinated and held off for a couple of months just to see if any of the science would be significantly updated.  For me, I felt that getting the vaccine was the right call.  Have a friend who’s in his 70’s.  A pretty vocal anti-vaxer.   He got Covid last month, spent three days in the ICU.   Lost 15 pounds.   Still isn’t 100%.  Good outlook, he said to spare him the “get well soon” wishes.   Said he opted not to get vaccinated and is now paying the price.  

it’s all a roll of the dice to some extent.  

2 hours ago, niart17 said:

For all those who worry about the “emergency use” issue, that we’re all guinea pigs, etc. to justify not getting the shot, the question I have is what’s the alternative?  Go through the whole year or two long full FDA approval process?  Is that a viable alternative in a pandemic of this magnitude?  How many more would end up in the hospital or die waiting for the full process?  Would what would happen to society and the economies of the world if this dragged out for another year before a fully approved vaccine got through the normal process?  How would you have done the vaccine process differently?

The reality is that there was a defined process to get approval.  The testing wasn’t done as long or with as large a population is a typical trial, but a scientific process was followed.  The success of the vaccines that were approved is proof that the process worked.  Literally hundreds of millions of shots have been given with relatively few side effects.  Even the serious ones that were played up in the media like the blood clot issues, are probably very low probability when compared against the number of shots given.  As for the long term effects, there are people who were in the initial trials who are going on a year from getting the vaccine with nothing noted.  In almost all vaccines, the vast majority of side effects show up within a couple of weeks or a month or two at most.  Most people are already past that.  Get the vaccine or don’t, that’s a personal choice, but my impression is that those many of those who don’t want to are opting out not for reasons that stand up to actual science, but more for political reasons, but not willing to come out and say so.

12 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

How would you have done the vaccine process differently?

... Get the vaccine or don’t, that’s a personal choice, but my impression is that those many of those who don’t want to are opting out not for reasons that stand up to actual science, but more for political reasons, but not willing to come out and say so.

I understand there was (is) no perfect answer. But in general I would have said that a baseline of which people SHOULD be the first to receive it would have been people that are more at risk of serious effects of the virus because of pre-existing conditions. It's coming out now that the average overall healthy adult that has contracted the virus has a much stronger immune system resistance now,  that lasts much longer than those that received the shot. Natural immunity is always a better course of action IF that's an option.

And yes, I agree 100% with your last point. MANY people said they would never get the shot....until the administration that was most responsible for its rapid production was gone. And many people since the change of admin, now say they won't because of the same reason. But it's hard to blame them completely when the politics of science apparently has influenced the science community almost as much. 

13 hours ago, 11bee said:

I’ve got no issues with the above.   At the end of the day, it’s a personal decision and it’s not black and white.   I put a great deal of thought into getting vaccinated and held off for a couple of months just to see if any of the science would be significantly updated.  For me, I felt that getting the vaccine was the right call.  Have a friend who’s in his 70’s.  A pretty vocal anti-vaxer.   He got Covid last month, spent three days in the ICU.   Lost 15 pounds.   Still isn’t 100%.  Good outlook, he said to spare him the “get well soon” wishes.   Said he opted not to get vaccinated and is now paying the price.  

it’s all a roll of the dice to some extent.  

Sorry to hear about your friend. I know several people that got it to various degrees of seriousness. It's certainly nothing to scoff at. I just think a more measure approach was warranted. Many places have simply done things only so they can say they've done something. Often causing more damage than not. But I suppose history will tell what was right and what was wrong. 

BTW, on topic, my effects of the shot lasted approximately 30 hours of just aches and pains and sleeping a LOT. Took about 18 hours after 2nd shot before those symptoms set in, but otherwise not a big deal. Arm hurt for a few days. 

Edited by niart17

I was hoping to avoid any negative side effects, but I had my second shot yesterday morning (Thursday).  Last night, I started feeling bad.  101 fever, and aches everywhere, every joint, head, eyeballs, and everything else just 'not right'.  I thought, early this morning, that I was over it, but fever is back, 102.  I hope this goes away soon, but at least I know it's due to the vaccine and not the disease!

Not that it matters, since we all react differently, but I got the Moderna version.

Edited by Curt B
2 hours ago, Curt B said:

I was hoping to avoid any negative side effects, but I had my second shot yesterday morning (Thursday).  Last night, I started feeling bad.  101 fever, and aches everywhere, every joint, head, eyeballs, and everything else just 'not right'.  I thought, early this morning, that I was over it, but fever is back, 102.  I hope this goes away soon, but at least I know it's due to the vaccine and not the disease!

Not that it matters, since we all react differently, but I got the Moderna version.

Several people we know who got moderna had a slightly worse reaction than those who got Pfizer. Of course that’s a totally unscientific sampling, just observations we’ve made. 

post how you feel tomorrow! Curious to see if you’re back to normal After 48 hours

3 hours ago, Curt B said:

Pretty much my experience minus the actual fever. Just FELT feverish without actually running one. It was strange. Had cold cheeks occasionally as well...go figure. Hope you kick it man!

21 hours ago, Charlie D. said:

Several people we know who got moderna had a slightly worse reaction than those who got Pfizer. Of course that’s a totally unscientific sampling, just observations we’ve made. 

post how you feel tomorrow! Curious to see if you’re back to normal After 48 hours

Hi Charlie, sine you requested a report at 48 hours since my second vaccine injection, I Just took my temperature (10:45am...or about 50 hours post shot) and temperature is back to normal.  I'm still not feeling quite right, and it seems like I've had a few 'false okays', if that makes sense.  We will see what the next 24 hours brings.  I've been taking the combo Advil (2 of the 250mg Acetaminophen and 125mg Ibuprofen) every 6-8 hours or so.  Don't know if it's been helping but it hasn't hurt.  I slept okay last night.  At the moment, the joint aches and headache seems to have gone away, but I'm still not 100% normal.  Hoping this is the end of it, though.

Dang, I had Covid last year when everyone was sure it was a death sentence if you contracted it and my symptoms weren't as bad as your vaccine side effects!

1 hour ago, bashace said:

Dang, I had Covid last year when everyone was sure it was a death sentence if you contracted it and my symptoms weren't as bad as your vaccine side effects!

My wife is an RN and works on a Covid only unit, Covid is brutal for those that are admitted and are seriously ill. And not everyone who catches it get hit hard, but even some who are permitted to fight it at home get hit hard. Two of my co-worked caught it, one had mild and the second severe.

And yes, some who get the shot have reactions.

9 minutes ago, Scooby said:

My wife is an RN and works on a Covid only unit, Covid is brutal for those that are admitted and are seriously ill. And not everyone who catches it get hit hard, but even some who are permitted to fight it at home get hit hard. Two of my co-worked caught it, one had mild and the second severe.

And yes, some who get the shot have reactions.

We’ve known quite a few who got it, ranges from the sniffles, to hospital stays, to death. I have two cousins who passed from it. One acquaintance went into the hospital and came out a Diabetic after his stint with it, and he’s still having some long hauler issues. That’s the problem….it’s like playing roulette. 

4 hours ago, Curt B said:

Hi Charlie, sine you requested a report at 48 hours since my second vaccine injection, I Just took my temperature (10:45am...or about 50 hours post shot) and temperature is back to normal.  I'm still not feeling quite right, and it seems like I've had a few 'false okays', if that makes sense.  We will see what the next 24 hours brings.  I've been taking the combo Advil (2 of the 250mg Acetaminophen and 125mg Ibuprofen) every 6-8 hours or so.  Don't know if it's been helping but it hasn't hurt.  I slept okay last night.  At the moment, the joint aches and headache seems to have gone away, but I'm still not 100% normal.  Hoping this is the end of it, though.

Glad you’re feeling better, my brother had a pretty good flu like reaction to his second, knocked him out, but 72 hours later he was feeling better. 

We dont really know how it (Covid19)  works with individuals! Everyone gets it differently but after all we are ALL different even if the same age group and similar circumstances.

Had one of my cousins pass away from Covid last December but we have lost several members of our modelling community also, one of the greatest Hungarian military photographer and a good friend a known aviation historian also died because of Covid infection.

Some friends around the world had it very bad, stayed home and described it as going to hell and back in two weeks. Some had it very mild, but still one of them said that it was like if someone was sitting on his chest for 3 days and he could not really breath.

So yes, it is a Russian roulette.

We are only at the beginning of it all, very little is known of the long term effects of the Covid on those who were infected and came out of it. It will take years to really get to know this virus and who are really at risk.

Stay Safe!!!

Best regards

Gabor

On 6/5/2021 at 3:37 PM, Charlie D. said:

Glad you’re feeling better, my brother had a pretty good flu like reaction to his second, knocked him out, but 72 hours later he was feeling better. 

Glad to hear. As of Sunday morning, June 6, no more fever, no more aches or pains, just a bit tired.  I’m sure I’m done with it.  But it took about 72 hours to be free of it.  As I told my friends, it wasn’t so bad, knowing it was the result of the vaccine.  Feeling this way, and not knowing how long, or how bad it might be, would be some scary stuff. I can’t recall the last time I’d had the flu. 20 years at least, I’m guessing, and after this, I don’t ever want to again!

Second shot of Pfizer today. No side effects after first only ache in the upper arm for 2 days. Will let ye know how the second goes. 

I work in the pharma industry. The only reason this was so fast was because the board of every pharma company literally threw money at getting this done. The usual timeline for new drugs are mostly due to the scientists asking the board for money and the accountants making it difficult to give it to them.

My sister in law is a nurse. 

My friend comes from one of the hardest hit in 2020 areas of Italy. 

I do not want to take the risk of what covid will do to you or one of your family. Or mine. So I'm vaccinated.

Finally got my first dose of pfizer yesterday. No particular problems (just a little achy arm), however my cellphone now works far better :)

On 6/11/2021 at 12:34 PM, Yuri said:

Finally got my first dose of pfizer yesterday. No particular problems (just a little achy arm), however my cellphone now works far better 🙂

:rofl:

In december, when I was travelling 1500km to my hometown I started to feel bad, I got out of breath when I had to walk from car to toilet. The sympthoms remained and strenghtened while I was there for 2 weeks, coming to the point where I started to hyperventilate wearing my shoes only. I then returned to my current home and had to stay 10 days in quarantine doing also 2 tests. Both turned out negative. So I returned to work at the end of week and noticed I need a rest between walking up 2 floors... Then sunday walk, when I managed to do like 50m of very slow walk before heavily hyperventilating - to that extent when my lungs started to drown in pain from breathing. Finally, monday I went to the doctor, where I was again (3rd time within 2 weeks) tested for virus. Generally speaking the doctor was asking the questions which would point towards covid first but gave up when I said I'm having this for a month and been tested 2 times recently. My blood saturation was at 91% at that point (95-100% is a norm). She decided to take my blood samples and sent me home. She called me past midnight to go to hospital immediately as she received the blood test results. Went to hospital where they again asked me a ton of questions which were directed toward covid and checked my saturation (87%). They put me on the bed and while connecting to all this hospital stuff informed that they just received my blood test results pointing towards different diagnose... but they still decided to do yet another test (because they said those tend to return false results) and treated me as patient with virus until 1h later they had a result. 

Immediately after that I was sent for blood scan and it turned out I have severe blood clots in my lungs which already block majority of their volume. Was treated for this matter and returned to normal saturation withing a week. Still my heart was heavily tired (?) and had an arythmia (for 1 month it was beating crazy fast to try to compensate volume of the blocked part of lungs).

My blood clots started 3 months after european countries locked us down and not only closed the gyms (which I was member of, 4-5 times a week, 82kg then, 97kg in january, 92kg now) but also forbid us to walk outside without a reason (work/groceries). If I went to hospital in Poland (my 2 week vacation) I'd be surely treated for covid, put under the respirator and probably die (I was just about to say "smell the flowers from the underneath" but that's not true as all dead covid patients bodies are being cremated and forbid to get an autopsy). And even in Belgium only because I had those 2 recent tests from quarantine I was able to push the doctor into different direction than covid. We'll never know how many people developed similar problems as mine when they get caged like animals and forbid to live healthy life, then put under respirator and died.

All those circumstances around covid are fishy to say the least thus I'll refuse to take any vaccine before 10 years test period.

Edited by Tapchan