Anyone else get their covid vaccines yet?

I was 4 months between shots. Government in a big rush for essentials to get first shot back in March. Then we had to wait, and wait and wait. Got the second in July. No symptoms or arm pain, no brain waves from Trudeau or Bill Gates. Alls good.

1 hour ago, Mfezi said:

We got vaccinated without hesitation - it is the wrong time to mess around with vaccine conspiracy theories. I don't want to see more friends die.

So true.  Now my daughter just had our second grand baby two weeks ago today.  She refused the shot (and I don't blame her) because absolutely no one knows the possible side effects of an unborn baby.  Those are long term results even I am not willing to take. 

I think she's going to give it a couple more weeks, stock up on breast milk and then get the shots before she has to return to work.  And considering she's a teacher around all those young carriers, not a bad idea.

I've got a guy at work sitting out at home after his vacation where one of the teens brought it into the family vacation.  He has symptoms, but tested negative. (He got vaccinated) His doc told him to quarantine just to be sure.   Apparently his in-laws  got admitted to the hospital due to low ox levels, but they are out now.

Another co-workers sister is an anti-vaxer and she came down with it as well, got admitted to the hospital and pulled through.  But they would not allow her to join in on the family vacation last month.  :rofl:

1 hour ago, Scott Smith said:

So true.  Now my daughter just had our second grand baby two weeks ago today.  She refused the shot (and I don't blame her) because absolutely no one knows the possible side effects of an unborn baby.  Those are long term results even I am not willing to take. 

I think she's going to give it a couple more weeks, stock up on breast milk and then get the shots before she has to return to work.  And considering she's a teacher around all those young carriers, not a bad idea.

My wife took care a very high percentage of pregnant women admitted with Covid, they were at a much higher risk for severe cases of Covid. Obviously your daughters choice was a personal one. Good to hear she is getting the shot before going back to teaching.

• 3 weeks later...

I talked to the wife of an ER worker in my city.  Our covid numbers have been very low because we live on a 400km long island with a population of 870,000.  Living on an island has isolated us from the worst of covid.  Only 43 deaths out of 870,000, but folks on this island have been pro-mask wearing etc for the majority of people.

But it seems the ER is getting busy with the under 12 year olds getting covid and passing it on to their parents that chose not to get vaccinated.  young kids can not be vaccinated yet. 

Over 80% of the people in my city have got their first injection and over 70% have had their second injection because it is an island with a large % of older folk.

I spent last weekend in the Huntsville (AL) Hospital ICU and general population due to COVID. We were waiting on information on how the vaccine affects nursing mothers, since my wife is still nursing our son, and I caught it. Had to have emergency surgery to remove blood clots that were blocking almost 30% of the blood flow to my lungs after a few days. I'm not going to tell anyone what to do, other than do your research and make an informed decision based on what's best for you. But use me as a cautionary tale for what can happen, too. I was the only conscious patient in the ICU for 30 hours, and I heard plenty of "the" alarms going off in the night and the following day. 

On 8/23/2021 at 11:48 AM, MHaz said:

I spent last weekend in the Huntsville (AL) Hospital ICU and general population due to COVID. We were waiting on information on how the vaccine affects nursing mothers, since my wife is still nursing our son, and I caught it. Had to have emergency surgery to remove blood clots that were blocking almost 30% of the blood flow to my lungs after a few days. I'm not going to tell anyone what to do, other than do your research and make an informed decision based on what's best for you. But use me as a cautionary tale for what can happen, too. I was the only conscious patient in the ICU for 30 hours, and I heard plenty of "the" alarms going off in the night and the following day. 

And you are young too. Just goes to show, that sounds pretty drastic.

Do you have any underlying conditions?  Are you fairly fit?  I've heard of some very fit people who have been smashed by it & have problems still.

I wish our eldest daughter would just get the AZ (she was booked in for last week), but now she is holding out for Pfizer which her age group can get from next month, but God knows how long the waiting list will be.

2 hours ago, Thommo said:

And you are young too. Just goes to show, that sounds pretty drastic.

Do you have any underlying conditions?  Are you fairly fit?  I've heard of some very fit people who have been smashed by it & have problems still.

I wish our eldest daughter would just get the AZ (she was booked in for last week), but now she is holding out for Pfizer which her age group can get from next month, but God knows how long the waiting list will be.

I'm a little on the overweight side, but the docs here said they thought it might be due to multiple factors. My initial infection wiped me out pretty bad, and left me with no energy to do much of anything. Since COVID affects the clotting factors in your blood in weird ways, no activity for a couple days + enhanced clotting = hospital stay. But weirdly, they also said they're not sure that's what caused it, since they said the dangerous clots formed in my lungs directly, and didn't travel from my legs. The clots they pulled out of me are currently being examined at UAB Medical Center's annex here in Huntsville to figure out why they formed in the first place. 

The important part is I'm home, recovering and a bit smarter than I was 3 weeks ago. (Also, the wife likes the beard I grew while convalescent, so there's that plus)

Like I said, I'm not going to be a PSA to get the shot, but I want anyone on the fence to step back, look at the research and make and informed decision, whatever it is. I've got enough antibodies in my system for about a year's protection, if not more, according to the docs (don't ask me how they figured that), so I probably won't get the vaccine until it's updated for newer variants. The other plus is since all my kids tested positive and are over it, we've been told that none of them will have to be quarantined if one of their classmates tests positive this year.

7 hours ago, MHaz said:

I've got enough antibodies in my system for about a year's protection, if not more, according to the docs (don't ask me how they figured that), so I probably won't get the vaccine until it's updated for newer variants. The other plus is since all my kids tested positive and are over it, we've been told that none of them will have to be quarantined if one of their classmates tests positive this year.

For whatever it's worth - have a coworker who had COVID in mid-2020.   He figured he was now immune.  he caught the Delta variant in June.  He's still out of work, not sure if he'll ever be physically fit enough to return.  

Regarding school, I've got an 8-year old and am dreading this upcoming year.   Me and the Ms both work for the same company and they are adamant that everyone needs to be in the office, no remote work.   If my daughter's school goes remote due to COVID, we literally are out of options.   Can't believe that this BS is starting up again.   

Glad to say my daughter went in last Friday and got her first shot.  He husband still refuses.  Stubborn.   
Had some friends over couple weekends back.  One guy has had the first strain twice.  Still no vaccination because he said he only had the sniffles and lost taste.   He’s not worried about the D.   Told him good luck with that. I’m hearing too many bad stories about the young and healthy dying quickly from the wife working in the hospital.  

Edited by Scott Smith

Fully vaccinated now.  Those unvaxed here in Oz won't be going anywhere soon.

I've been thinking for months that lockdowns won't solve this.  Too many recalcitrants of the tin foil hat variety or just plain selfish/soft.  Only high levels of vaccination can move us forward now.

12 hours ago, Thommo said:

Fully vaccinated now.  Those unvaxed here in Oz won't be going anywhere soon.

I've been thinking for months that lockdowns won't solve this.  Too many recalcitrants of the tin foil hat variety or just plain selfish/soft.  Only high levels of vaccination can move us forward now.

So the vaccine stops the spread of the virus? 

2 hours ago, 305swag said:

A key to what? Freedom? Big Pharma making boat loads of cash? Herr Doktor Fauchi selling books? 

Saving lives, which it is clearing doing. The unvaccinated are the ones suffering and dying.

41 minutes ago, Scooby said:

Saving lives, which it is clearing doing. The unvaccinated are the ones suffering and dying.

Ok, so why is there no intervention on the 400 lbs person taking fourths in the buffet line or the person that smokes 2-3 packs of cigarettes a day? Cancer and heart disease kill more people than covid. 

5 hours ago, 305swag said:

So the vaccine stops the spread of the virus? 

Yes, to a degree.  If the vaccine stops you getting sick from Covid (which it clearly does) you are not coughing & sneezing your s#$t germs over everyone else.  Common sense really?

But more importantly, it stops the medical system getting swamped with Covid patients, so when you need a hospital bed because you've rolled your car or have cancer, you can get one.

7 minutes ago, 305swag said:

Ok, so why is there no intervention on the 400 lbs person taking fourths in the buffet line or the person that smokes 2-3 packs of cigarettes a day? Cancer and heart disease kill more people than covid. 

There is.  Here in Oz, many govt programs aimed at getting people off the smokes & the Maccas.  But moreover, doing those things only hurts one person - yourself.  Being a muppet by not following the rules & spreading Covid hurts lots of people.  You do know cancer & heart disease are not contagious?  Elementary biology?

The true irony of the tin foil hat types, is most would gladly allow their 'leaders' to send them to war in a distant land to protect their own country-folk where the outcome is far, far more likely to kill them or lead to serious harm, but won't do the same when it comes to a virus which could kill/disable those same country-folk?

15 minutes ago, 305swag said:

Because Covid is transmitted to others? And it was the leading cause of death for periods of time in 2021. It is in the top ten causes of death in 2021. In 2020 it was the third leading cause of death.

The big difference is Covid comes from sudden exposure, the 400 lbs person reached that weight over time. The person who dies from heart disease does so after 60-70-80-90 years of life. You catch Covid you are gone in weeks, those who survive a serious bout do so with trauma and life shortening conditions. And they are individual illnesses, not transmissible ones.

Look at Sweden, where they didn’t do lockdowns, their death rate is the highest per-capita rate in the world, 10x greater than countries that surround it. With this model, had the world not locked down the death rate could have been 45 million, instead of 4.5 million. Although that number would have more likely been exponentially larger if not for intervention.

And Sweden’s economy suffered more too, lower growth, higher inflation, and much higher unemployment. So much for remaining opening.

5 hours ago, Scooby said:

Look at Sweden, where they didn’t do lockdowns, their death rate is the highest per-capita rate in the world, 10x greater than countries that surround it. With this model, had the world not locked down the death rate could have been 45 million, instead of 4.5 million. Although that number would have more likely been exponentially larger if not for intervention.

And Sweden’s economy suffered more too, lower growth, higher inflation, and much higher unemployment. So much for remaining opening.

Where you get this from? 😄

7 hours ago, 305swag said:

"Whataboutism" is not an argument.

1 hour ago, WymanV said:

"Whataboutism" is not an argument.

It's also a completely misleading statement, because it is comparing diseases that are not the same. Cancer and heart disease are not easily transmissible diseases like Covid. If a person smokes or leads a lifestyle conducive to cancer or heart disease, they only risk themselves. Refusing to get vaccinated and refusing to wear a mask unnecessarily and selfishly puts others at risk. If you want to compare diseases, compare Covid with the flu (Covid is far deadlier: 4 million in a little over a year worldwide [Source] vs  290,000 to 650,000 every year worldwide [Source]), polio, or smallpox. But wait, the planet hasn't had any smallpox or polio outbreaks in decades. How could that be?  

Ben

Wait, if vaccination works then you should be safe after you get yours. If vaccinations makes the symptoms milder that means... vaccinated people still spread the virus 😄 

Regarding masks please see what kind of masks were worn while contacting those infected with ebola. Full hazmat, and maybe we should go this way - decontamination room at every home entrance and hazmat suit required outside 😄

I fear the moment when politicians manage to scare masses to the point they'll agree to mercilessly kill those infidels with flamethrowers.

Get vaxed and wear a mask. Hopefully Darwin will take care of cleansing the gene pool. Whenever I go to a public place I double mask, carry my own hand sanitizer with me. For me, when I go into a public building the masks are an identifier of those that are just a bit smarter than those that aren't wearing one. Identifiers like some bumper stickers I see when I'm driving.   

A reminder.........ARC is for discussion. Do not bring comments which will only cause arguments.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how wrong someone else thinks they are. However conspiracy attack theories are NOT welcome.