Anyone else get their covid vaccines yet?

1 hour ago, Tapchan said:

Where did it became argument? We're discussing. So discussions are allowed but sceptics (the other point of view) are not welcome in it? 🙂

Looks that way, I don’t have a problem with people getting shots or wearing a mask, even ones that wear one by themselves in their cars. My issue are with people who want to push their will onto others who have a different point of view. I guess you can call it covid bullying. We should be allowed to make our own decisions on what we inject into our bodies. 

2 minutes ago, 305swag said:

Looks that way, I don’t have a problem with people getting shots or wearing a mask, even ones that wear one by themselves in their cars. My issue are with people who want to push their will onto others who have a different point of view. I guess you can call it covid bullying. We should be allowed to make our own decisions on what we inject into our bodies. 

I agree 100% - getting vaccinated should be a choice.  However, if you are not vaccinated, then you should have to deal with the consequences, such as having to pay the the medical expenses if you get COVID, or not being allowed in certain places.  I think of it like smoking - you can smoke all you want, just be prepared to pay for all of the health issues yourself, and don't smoke where it affects others.

2 hours ago, jpk said:

Get vaxed and wear a mask. Hopefully Darwin will take care of cleansing the gene pool. Whenever I go to a public place I double mask, carry my own hand sanitizer with me. For me, when I go into a public building the masks are an identifier of those that are just a bit smarter than those that aren't wearing one. Identifiers like some bumper stickers I see when I'm driving.   

No words for such a posts. Bless your heart.

24 minutes ago, Ken Cartwright said:

I agree 100% - getting vaccinated should be a choice.  However, if you are not vaccinated, then you should have to deal with the consequences, such as having to pay the the medical expenses if you get COVID, or not being allowed in certain places.  I think of it like smoking - you can smoke all you want, just be prepared to pay for all of the health issues yourself, and don't smoke where it affects others.

This is something I want to understand. If vaccination makes you safe then why are you scared of unvaccinated people? Will contact with them cancel your vaccine? 

Just now, Tapchan said:

This is something I want to understand. If vaccination makes you safe then why are you scared of unvaccinated people? Will contact with them cancel your vaccine? 

It's pretty simple, actually, and much of it has already been discussed here.  If you have people who are not vaccinated milling about, there can be large outbreaks causing impact to the medical system that will affect other issues, such as accidents, cancer, etc.  It also gives the virus a greater chance of mutating as it spreads among the unvaccinated, potentially creating a version that does "cancel" the current vaccines.  Also, if people are unable to get the vaccine for some reason, and do not go out, other people who are unvaccinated but going to different places are more likely to spread the virus to others that may be visiting those people.

13 minutes ago, Tapchan said:

Why would virus mutate if he has full access? It's like breaching opened door. Plus notice that vaccinated people also get sick and that means vaccinated spread virus too.

Mutations are not chosen or decided upon, they happen randomly through reproduction, so the more reproduction that takes place, the more mutations that will occur.  Some will be dead-ends, but some may change in ways that make the virus more transmissible, and possibly resistant to the antibodies generated by the current vaccines.  The best way to stop that is to stop reproduction, and stopping the spread so that it is in fewer places that may provide greater mutation opportunities.

Vaccinated people have antibodies that kill the virus more quickly, so it has less opportunity to reproduce and mutate.

Edited by Ken Cartwright

Just read that Delta Airlines has instituted a new policy that applies a surcharge on the medical insurance coverage of it's non-vaccinated employees.   It's also limits the amount of sick days they can take if infected.   Seems eminently reasonable to me.   In my company, if you indulge in a destructive habit like smoking, your premiums are higher, this is just an extenuation of existing policies.   

So it doesn't stop virus but only may reduce the chance. And because it may reduce chance you want to force injecting substance that has completely unknown mid- and long-term effects on whole population?

And regarding treatments, vaccinated shouldn't be treated if they develop side effects in, lets say, 2-3 years.

11 minutes ago, Ken Cartwright said:

Vaccinated people have antibodies that kill the virus more quickly, so it has less opportunity to reproduce and mutate.

ummm....sure about that? I would be interested in the study that shows that vaccinated people have better antibodies than those that have natural ones built up from contracting the virus. I've heard one of the representative from Pfizer say that the mutations are happening faster because of the vaccine. And just for the record, I AM vaccinated so am not coming from a position of anti-vaxxing, just anti-mandatory.

3 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Just read that Delta Airlines has instituted a new policy that applies a surcharge on the medical insurance coverage of it's non-vaccinated employees.   It's also limits the amount of sick days they can take if infected.   Seems eminently reasonable to me.   In my company, if you indulge in a destructive habit like smoking, your premiums are higher, this is just an extenuation of existing policies.   

Bad idea. In Poland in some hospitals you had to sign document that you are suspected to have coronavirus if you wanted to get appendix surgery or broken leg fixed. Simply because treating corona patient gave hospital extra money per patient from govt. Plus many hospitals turned into corona only so if you want to get any treatment.... You know 🙂

6 minutes ago, niart17 said:

ummm....sure about that? I would be interested in the study that shows that vaccinated people have better antibodies than those that have natural ones built up from contracting the virus. I've heard one of the representative from Pfizer say that the mutations are happening faster because of the vaccine. And just for the record, I AM vaccinated so am not coming from a position of anti-vaxxing, just anti-mandatory.

Start here

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=covid-19

14 minutes ago, Tapchan said:

So it doesn't stop virus but only may reduce the chance. And because it may reduce chance you want to force injecting substance that has completely unknown mid- and long-term effects on whole population?

And regarding treatments, vaccinated shouldn't be treated if they develop side effects in, lets say, 2-3 years.

So, what’s your option?  Not put out any vaccine and let the virus run rampant for 2-3 years until there is more proof of no long term effects?  How do you think that will work out?

13 minutes ago, niart17 said:

Here's a study that shows that:

Natural Acquisition Versus Vaccine – Which is More Effective? | UCI Beall Applied Innovation

But I was referencing vaxxed vs. unvaxxed people who had not gotten sick, so that wasn't really my point.  I suppose if you want to take your chances and get COVID to get the antibodies that's up to you, but it seems less risky to get the vaccine instead.  And the word "mandatory" can have different connotations, so to be clear, I am not for forcing people to get vaccinated, but I am OK with places saying that you can't come in if you aren't vaccinated, even if they are workplaces.

I remember photo of a Warsaw's tram with plate "nür für deutsche" 😉 but I am also fine with it as long as I can discriminate everyone for whatever reason I want.

Edited by Tapchan
17 minutes ago, Tapchan said:

Bad idea. In Poland in some hospitals you had to sign document that you are suspected to have coronavirus if you wanted to get appendix surgery or broken leg fixed. Simply because treating corona patient gave hospital extra money per patient from govt. Plus many hospitals turned into corona only so if you want to get any treatment.... You know 🙂

They did the same here in the USA. Everyone that died had rona, even if it didn’t cause their death. Three of the closest people to me work in the medical field so I get some interesting info on how they report covid. Why do you need a test to even know that you have the deadliest virus made by man to even know that you have it? How accurate are these covid tests anyway? Nobody really knows the long term effects of these vaccines. I believe that a few cocktails every day keep me safe.

3 minutes ago, Tapchan said:

I remember photo of a Warsaw's tram with plate "nür für deutsche" 😉

For the record, I am also for places saying you can't come in if you ARE vaccinated - I think people should be free to make their own choices.

So there are two aspects to this, as far as I can tell.  First, is the approach of requiring vaccines, and the other is whether the vaccines actually help.  For the second one, I feel that the evidence at every level is pretty clear.  It would be pretty hard to conclude that the vaccine wasn't helping based on the current infection, hospitalization and death statistics from pretty much every source.  Well over 90% of the major impacts from the virus is in the unvaccinated population.

Based on that, to me, the logical thing to require, if you were to require something, would be that people be vaccinated, but again, I feel that should be left up to different locations.  Of course when it comes to government workplaces, it gets a little sticky, but going by the evidence would seem to support one decision over another.  If there was an Ebola outbreak, would you want possibly infected people sitting down next to you?

Wife had a patient yesterday that is only 11 years old.  Covid has caused blood clots all over his body.  Altered mental state due to clots, bad clotting in his legs causing extreme pain.  They went in yesterday to remove as much clotting from his legs as they could.   Obviously due to his age, he was not vaccinated. 

She had a 41 yo male, non smoker, non vaccinated and in great health come in after symptoms started.  He died 2 days later. It was the D variant.  it works fast and works efficiently doing what it does.

These are not rumors.  These are my wife's patients in one localized area.  I respect anyone's right to refuse, but this scares the hell out of me. 

EDIT: I did not worry so much with the original strain of covid.  But this new mutated stuff is bad.

Edited by Scott Smith
9 minutes ago, Ken Cartwright said:

Natural Acquisition Versus Vaccine – Which is More Effective? | UCI Beall Applied Innovation

But I was referencing vaxxed vs. unvaxxed people who had not gotten sick, so that wasn't really my point.  I suppose if you want to take your chances and get COVID to get the antibodies that's up to you, but it seems less risky to get the vaccine instead.  And the word "mandatory" can have different connotations, so to be clear, I am not for forcing people to get vaccinated, but I am OK with places saying that you can't come in if you aren't vaccinated, even if they are workplaces.

Definitely agree…I’m vaxxed, you don’t want it, that’s fine by me. I’m also not for holding people down and injecting them with vaccines, but if you don’t want it, just be prepared for the possible fall out. Those of a certain political view think the free market should decide everything, and it looks like the free market is going to want you to get vaxxed or you might….lose your job, have to pay higher insurance premiums, not be able to enter certain indoor businesses, not be able to renew your life insurance, lose your Dr. cause he won’t treat patients who aren’t vaxxed….the list goes on and is only going to get bigger now that the FDA has given full authorization.

3 minutes ago, Scott Smith said:

Wife had a patient yesterday that is only 11 years old.  Covid has caused blood clots all over his body.  Altered mental state due to clots, bad clotting in his legs causing extreme pain.  They went in yesterday to remove as much clotting from his legs as they could.   Obviously due to his age, he was not vaccinated. 

She had a 41 yo male, non smoker, non vaccinated and in great health come in after symptoms started.  He died 2 days later. It was the D variant.  it works fast and works efficiently doing what it does.

These are not rumors.  These are my wife's patients in one localized area.  I respect anyone's right to refuse, but this scares the hell out of me. 

It’s awful to hear about more kids getting sick, I’ve got two myself that aren’t eligible yet to get vaccinated. Luckily we live in an area where 85% of those eligible are vaccinated, and those running their school aren’t idiots. Unfortunately there could be 1000+ kids dying a day and I think it wouldn’t move the needle at all….the only kids they care about are those in the womb, once they’re out, they’re on their own. 

20 minutes ago, Ken Cartwright said:

Interesting article. I will be following this study as well as others and see what peer reviews say. And yes, sorry I did misunderstand what you were saying, sorry.

As for saying someone can't work somewhere unvaxxed? I'll leave that up to the Supreme Court to decide the legal aspects of that as I'm sure it will get there. I will say it's much different to say you can't work if actually infected with something as opposed to saying you can't if not protected from a potential of getting infected. Hard to fight a case against a potential. 

7 minutes ago, Scott Smith said:

EDIT: I did not worry so much with the original strain of covid.  But this new mutated stuff is bad.

My wife is an RN on a Covid unit, yup she has scary stories, none of children yet though. But many are of young and healthy people now. Most beg for the vaccine after they are ill and it is too late. There are a few that deny to the end. More than one has said they want an autopsy before to prove they are not a Covid death (just before intubation).