Great Wall Hobby G.W.H L4824 1/48 Su-27 “Flanker B” Heavy Fighter

On 6/20/2021 at 3:37 PM, ya-gabor said:

A Chinese manufacturer will soon release this set of 3D printed aftermarkets for the G.W.H Su-27 and Su-27UB kits.

The difference to the kit plastic parts is that it has all those tiny hydraulic and electric lines that one had to scratch before from wires, lead or pipes . Or use photoetch sets which are awkward to bend anyway and also still a 2D flat piece of material not really realistic representation of a perfectly round hydraulic line.

These nose and main gear legs are 3D printed from a strong material to support the weight of the kit. All you need to do is paint and get a realistic fully equipped gear legs! No more need for scratch building for hours, days, weeks or buying useless photoetch alternatives.

edlTwr3.jpg

mUpeP1V.jpg

snVWfLR.jpg 

pBkEHRA.jpg

Best regards

Gabor  

Gabor posted the first info on the product here a couple of months ago and it says “printed from a strong material”.

That’s what I went with. By the looks of the parts it could be a resin like Phrozen Onyx or Siraya Tech Blu (but in black ☺️) which are tough engineering resins.

I’m not a spokesperson for the company’s products and haven’t tested them myself but at least one could acknowledge the information already out there.

J

Edited by JeffreyK
stupid auto correct
23 hours ago, Solo said:

Ok, but what about nose landing gear? Where is metal pin for it?

You think it will need one ?

Most weight is usually taken by the main gears, in life and in scale models.

6 minutes ago, Piker38 said:

You think it will need one ?

Most weight is usually taken by the main gears, in life and in scale models.

Unless you put 0,2kg of nose weight to prevent tailsitting.

But I guess some extra reinforcement is always nice and welcome just not to snap the gear during manipulation or eventual transport.

1 hour ago, Tapchan said:

Unless you put 0,2kg of nose weight to prevent tailsitting.

But I guess some extra reinforcement is always nice and welcome just not to snap the gear during manipulation or eventual transport.

I've never seen a Su-27 model that was a tailsitter, even when adding resin exhaust nozzles. It really shouldn't be necessary to add weight to the nose. My Academy Su-27 is a bit "nose heavy" due to the Quickboost resin nose, but even then the load on the nose wheel is relatively low. On the GWH kit with a plastic nose the load on the nose gear should be positive (i.e. not a tendency to fall on its back), but very low compared to the main gear. I doubt there would be any problems unless you dropped it directly onto the nose. The main gears are much more critical and with the included pins in this set, I cannot see there being any problem at all. As you said, extra reinforcement cannot hurt, but I really wouldn't worry about it as long as the main gear is sorted.

16 hours ago, Mfezi said:

I've never seen a Su-27 model that was a tailsitter, even when adding resin exhaust nozzles. It really shouldn't be necessary to add weight to the nose. My Academy Su-27 is a bit "nose heavy" due to the Quickboost resin nose, but even then the load on the nose wheel is relatively low. On the GWH kit with a plastic nose the load on the nose gear should be positive (i.e. not a tendency to fall on its back), but very low compared to the main gear. I doubt there would be any problems unless you dropped it directly onto the nose. The main gears are much more critical and with the included pins in this set, I cannot see there being any problem at all. As you said, extra reinforcement cannot hurt, but I really wouldn't worry about it as long as the main gear is sorted.

What he said. The Su-27 in model form isn't a tailsitter because of its shape and position of the main gear in relation to the center of gravity even from a model stand point.

The other thing is, the nose gear of the vanilla Su-27 doesn't lend to a pin reinforcement, there are weak points elsewhere that will break first and can't be simply reinforced by a pin.

On 7/13/2021 at 4:15 PM, solher1 said:

When I placed my order, the kit was still available.  When I checked the status of my order, then it was on back order. Odd, but I guess someone else got the last one/ones right before my order.

I say two to three months because I don't know when they will be back in stock and usually for surface shipping it takes like two months to arrive to where I live in the U.S.A.

Juan

Five weeks have passed since my post above and the GWH Su-27 is still in back order.  What happened? It seems like the kit has been a hit and was sold out everywhere.

In the meanwhile, still progressing with my Kitty Hawk Su-30SM and Trumpeter Su-24M.

Raymond, do you have an idea when you will have the GWH Su-27 back in stock in Lucky Model?

Thank you all.

Juan

Edited by solher1
On 8/20/2021 at 10:40 AM, solher1 said:

Five weeks have passed since my post above and the GWH Su-27 is still in back order.  What happened? It seems like the kit has been a hit and was sold out everywhere.

In the meanwhile, still progressing with my Kitty Hawk Su-30SM and Trumpeter Su-24M.

Raymond, do you have an idea when you will have the GWH Su-27 back in stock in Lucky Model?

Thank you all.

Juan

Hello Juan

I asked about mine a few weeks ago; they told me they are expected to resupply them later this month; let's hope it will be soon.

On 8/21/2021 at 10:28 AM, cruiz said:

Hello Juan

I asked about mine a few weeks ago; they told me they are expected to resupply them later this month; let's hope it will be soon.

With what store did you place your order?  Just curious if it was a US based distributor.  I’ve asked here before if anyone has any idea when these kits might be available from shops in the US. I know we can order from anywhere, if buying on the internet, but my preference is always to buy model stuff from US based stores, like SprueBrothers, Scalehobbyist, etc.  I think GWH is going to make a ton of money when these finally hit the big retailers here!!

11 hours ago, Curt B said:

With what store did you place your order?  Just curious if it was a US based distributor.  I’ve asked here before if anyone has any idea when these kits might be available from shops in the US. I know we can order from anywhere, if buying on the internet, but my preference is always to buy model stuff from US based stores, like SprueBrothers, Scalehobbyist, etc.  I think GWH is going to make a ton of money when these finally hit the big retailers here!!

Hi Curt, it was through Luckymodel; it's odd that this kit is not easy to get.

On 8/28/2021 at 11:26 AM, cruiz said:

Hi Curt, it was through Luckymodel; it's odd that this kit is not easy to get.

Thank you Cruiz!  I keep looking and hoping to see it pop up anywhere on a US reseller website.  Still no luck, though. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Lucky Model finally shipped my GWH Su-27 kits. I expect to see them on Christmas time since I have been waiting for the Tamiya F-4B for 3 months already.

Juan

Edited by solher1

Somehow, the kit still has not arrived in Europe, or did I miss something?

At least for Germany ordering in Asia would make this kit more expensive than buying it fron a local dealer, so this is not an option.

At Lucky Model the kit is 108 Euros including shipping and I would have to pay another 19% VAT at customs.

Will someone please enlighten me with regard to whether or not the new-tool Great Wall Hobby 1/48 Su-27 Flanker B kit has the proper washout at the wing tips? I've been watching at pictures of the Great Wall Hobby 1/48 Su-27UB kit, and it seems that the washout is all wrong or is not even present at all.

So far, about the only kit I've seen to have the proper washout is the Minibase 1/48 Su-33 Flanker D kit.

Thanks in advance,

Gwen

2 hours ago, Gwen Phoenix said:

Will someone please enlighten me with regard to whether or not the new-tool Great Wall Hobby 1/48 Su-27 Flanker B kit has the proper washout at the wing tips? I've been watching at pictures of the Great Wall Hobby 1/48 Su-27UB kit, and it seems that the washout is all wrong or is not even present at all.

So far, about the only kit I've seen to have the proper washout is the Minibase 1/48 Su-33 Flanker D kit.

Thanks in advance,

Gwen

The wingtip downward angle is well presented on 3D design, as shown on below output pictures.

1.thumb.jpg.b9c9137c8a4936e6dc10424ba494a590.jpg2.thumb.jpg.13fb860e4d4565934511a749a1af0c72.jpg5.thumb.jpg.4fe5f0d739689fca140828d03ad127be.jpg

Talking about your concern, I believe it is caused by one piece upper/lower fuselage/wing part deformation during injection, because of the large size and shape(too flat and thin).

If you cut the wings by seperate parts from middle, like Su-33, then there will be no deformation issue like this.

So in my understanding, under current plastic injection mold technology limitation, this is very difficult to avoid as long as fuselage and wings are made by one piece part.

I will twist the wings little by little during my built, to have it present the correct wingtip downward angle.

Hope it clarifies

Edited by haneto
On 9/22/2021 at 12:52 PM, solher1 said:

Hi Guys,

Lucky Model finally shipped my GWH Su-27 kits. I expect to see them on Christmas time since I have been waiting for the Tamiya F-4B for 3 months already.

Juan

That's a long time; where did it get stuck in?

Mine was shipped the same day as yours; let's hope it doesn't take that long; in the meantime, I consider it part of my cloud stash.

7 hours ago, cruiz said:

That's a long time; where did it get stuck in?

Mine was shipped the same day as yours; let's hope it doesn't take that long; in the meantime, I consider it part of my cloud stash.

Hi Ruiz,

Because I used surface shipping and they say it is 2-6 months.

i just got my Tamiya F-4B.  It took three months using the same surface mail.

Juan

8 minutes ago, solher1 said:

Hi Ruiz,

Because I used surface shipping and they say it is 2-6 months.

i just got my Tamiya F-4B.  It took three months using the same surface mail.

Juan

Oh¡ that makes sense; I wish I could have the option of surface mail, regardless of the wait; lots of supplies are banned by air. 

On 9/28/2021 at 9:01 PM, haneto said:

The wingtip downward angle is well presented on 3D design, as shown on below output pictures.

1.thumb.jpg.b9c9137c8a4936e6dc10424ba494a590.jpg2.thumb.jpg.13fb860e4d4565934511a749a1af0c72.jpg5.thumb.jpg.4fe5f0d739689fca140828d03ad127be.jpg

Talking about your concern, I believe it is caused by one piece upper/lower fuselage/wing part deformation during injection, because of the large size and shape(too flat and thin).

If you cut the wings by seperate parts from middle, like Su-33, then there will be no deformation issue like this.

So in my understanding, under current plastic injection mold technology limitation, this is very difficult to avoid as long as fuselage and wings are made by one piece part.

I will twist the wings little by little during my built, to have it present the correct wingtip downward angle.

Hope it clarifies

Hi Yufei,

It certainly does; thank you. Yes, indeed. I've had this issue you describe with the Hobby Boss 1/48 J-11 kit. Once you dry-fit the wingtip rails, they will invariably point upwards, so I attached them slightly downwards.

Never durst twisting the wings for fear of ruining them beyond repair. 

By the way, I used one of your Fairy-Hobby 1/48 windshield/canopy + IRST correction sets on that kit to compensate for its shape issues.

We are looking forward for your releasing of correction set alike for the Monogram 1/48 F-105D one day?

Let's hope so!

Cheers,

Gwen

On 4/4/2021 at 1:08 AM, haneto said:

I promise you this kit will be the easiest to build 1/48 scale Flanker kit (yes I have already built 2 UBs and 1 single seater).

So you can expect some enjoyable building experience.

Yes especially considering we already have Su-35 data which shares some same parts with Su-30SM, it will be very natural to release the 30SM in a short time period, with some help from our Russian friends/resources.

Hi Haneto,

Thanks for all the info. I have been building mainly Tamiya as I have limited time for my hobbies and don't enjoy alot sanding/filling work in my builds.

Im thinking of branching out to try one of your great looking GWH Flanker kits. I noticed your comment above - is the Flanker B a new tool from the SU-27UB kit? How much easier is the build process for the Flanker B kit?

Thanks in advance