Great Wall Hobby G.W.H L4824 1/48 Su-27 “Flanker B” Heavy Fighter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I missed the Sprue Brothers load for this Su-27, but Andy's Hobby Headquarters in Arizona has some...and I FINALLY got to order one!  Frankly, after all this time, I couldn't believe that it was actually there, in stock.  Expensive, yes, but I think that's going to be the way of it for these big modern fighter kits...

I have also found the newer Red Fox 3D cockpit upgrades intriguing.  Unfortunately, they do not have a set for this plane, yet, so I ended up ordering the Quirta set.  I think the Red Fox sets look like they may be a bit more '3D' than the Quinta and the relatively new Eduard Space sets, but that was based just on video/photos, not with the items in hand.  

Edited by Curt B
22 minutes ago, Solo said:

Boy, do I feel foolish...  The translator works great...thank you so much!!  

And I just read the review.  Great job, very detailed, and interesting to read.  Thanks for making the effort to take a detailed look at this very large airplane model kit!

Edited by Curt B
50 minutes ago, Curt B said:

Boy, do I feel foolish...  The translator works great...thank you so much!!  

And I just read the review.  Great job, very detailed, and interesting to read.  Thanks for making the effort to take a detailed look at this very large airplane model kit!

Nice to read that.

While I'm sure it's no big deal to those who have had that single seat Su-27s for some time, mine is being delivered tomorrow.  I am really anxious to look a the comparisons between the GWH Su-27UB and this new one.  Probably not a lot of differences, other than subtle enhancements to the plastic.  Now I'm going to have to decide which one of these Su-27s will be the first one I build.  It's going to be awhile for either one, though, as I have a lot of half built airplanes that I want to try to complete before I start anything new.  

4 hours ago, Curt B said:

Probably not a lot of differences, other than subtle enhancements to the plastic.   

Both were designed in parallel so there is not really any big difference apart from obvious single and two seat version parts. There are no enhancements as such. It is simply a single seat version.

Have fun with the kit! : )   : )   I had a lot of fun in designing it. 

Best regards

Gabor

17 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Both were designed in parallel so there is not really any big difference apart from obvious single and two seat version parts. There are no enhancements as such. It is simply a single seat version.

Have fun with the kit! : )   : )   I had a lot of fun in designing it. 

Best regards

Gabor

Thank you, Gabor.  With the packaging being what it is for both planes, you could easily mistake one for the other unless you knew what you were looking for.  Also, because the actual models will look almost identical (save for the seating, as Gabor notes above), I will be looking for really significant livery differences between them.  I've already been planning on doing, for my Su-27UB, the kind of boring Ukraine Air Force 'Blue 74' scheme, but there are at least several decent photos of the real plane to use to try to create a realistic plane with weathering.  

Does anyone know of some really interesting liveries of an Su-27 "Flanker B" that also has decals for its markings, and some real life photos? 

Hi curt,

I just asked the same question about su-27b paint jobs and decals. I ended up buying a Linden hill sheet with the old school polish based jets. Green and white noses, heavily weathered and lots of nose art. Panthers, owls, polar bears etc. Super cool! Apparently the decals come with a 14 page reference sheet. 

Link to the topic. 

Edited by tomthegrom

Dont want to sound like pushing, but the Red 05 aircraft was my choice for this kit. I think it is fascinating with the Dzemgi base Eagle on its nose and tail. It comes from a time when nose art was not so common. That Eagle looks fab and fortunately for the research was able to find excellent views of the aircraft from both sides and through its carrier. The paint scheme is not a “What If” like many manufacturers do their own fantasy marking with minimal original information!!!

This fighter is an early aircraft but upgraded with the standard tail.

But it has some novel features like the canopy opening handle next to the windscreen and not in its standard place further down and to right from the cockpit access ladder. If I am right this was reproduced on the decal.

The stencils which go with this kit are the ones used originally by the factory and represent in correct colour/shape/text many stencils which were never before made or reproduced with lots of mistakes by other manufacturers like Eduard. A lot of help was given by Katsuhiko Tokunaga and some Russian friends when researching the stencil markings including some original factory paint shop information.

Only the small panel ID number stencils were left off due to their size and also because they are far out of range for a plastic kit. It would have meant at least one more additional decal sheet with microscopic markings. Also missing are the Fuselage Frame Number markings which are once again very small and are missing on most aircraft anyway. But the Begemot stencil decal sheet for the Su-27 has them if I am right.

I know it is of little importance to those who have not been able to buy this kit in the past year but even I dont have the kit in its production form. Only a test sample.

Best regards

Gabor

9 hours ago, tomthegrom said:

Hi curt,

I just asked the same question about su-27b paint jobs and decals. I ended up buying a Linden hill sheet with the old school polish based jets. Green and white noses, heavily weathered and lots of nose art. Panthers, owls, polar bears etc. Super cool! Apparently the decals come with a 14 page reference sheet. 

Link to the topic. 

Thanks for the info, sir!

6 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Dont want to sound like pushing, but the Red 05 aircraft was my choice for this kit. I think it is fascinating with the Dzemgi base Eagle on its nose and tail. It comes from a time when nose art was not so common. That Eagle looks fab and fortunately for the research was able to find excellent views of the aircraft from both sides and through its carrier. The paint scheme is not a “What If” like many manufacturers do their own fantasy marking with minimal original information!!!

This fighter is an early aircraft but upgraded with the standard tail.

But it has some novel features like the canopy opening handle next to the windscreen and not in its standard place further down and to right from the cockpit access ladder. If I am right this was reproduced on the decal.

The stencils which go with this kit are the ones used originally by the factory and represent in correct colour/shape/text many stencils which were never before made or reproduced with lots of mistakes by other manufacturers like Eduard. A lot of help was given by Katsuhiko Tokunaga and some Russian friends when researching the stencil markings including some original factory paint shop information.

Only the small panel ID number stencils were left off due to their size and also because they are far out of range for a plastic kit. It would have meant at least one more additional decal sheet with microscopic markings. Also missing are the Fuselage Frame Number markings which are once again very small and are missing on most aircraft anyway. But the Begemot stencil decal sheet for the Su-27 has them if I am right.

I know it is of little importance to those who have not been able to buy this kit in the past year but even I dont have the kit in its production form. Only a test sample.

Best regards

Gabor

Gabor, thanks for your response.  A question, though.  You are referring to Red 5 being one of the options in the kit, correct?  Per the images provided i the kit, on the left side of it, there appears to be an eagle wing near the base of that vertical stabilizer, and another eagle just aft of the canopy, which isn't really 'nose art' per se... is this the scheme you wrote about?

Hi Curt B,

Yes, it is a sort of "Nose Art". OK not  classic version with a Pin-up Girl but still . . .  : )  : )  : )

In its original form the Eagle was on the nose (after cockpit) and a smaller version of it was on the left hand side vertical surface. This is how Red 05 looked like when at Dzemgi base. THis is the base in the city of Komsomolsk na Amure. Actually the other side of the runway from the actual aircraft factory.

At its last operation base years later, there were some modifications to the design with the Dzemgi letters covered with paint on the tail surface. The whole story was supplied for the manufacturer but not everything was included in the kit instruction. 

Is it only me who likes this design? ? ? ?  ? ?    I love it!!!!!!!!

Especially the fact that one can trace the history of the aircraft and changes to markings.

Apparently not only me, since the manufacturer also seen some potential in it and included it. There are some other very nice designs, but there was no space for others with this kit.   : (   : (

Best regards

Gabor   

8 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Hi Curt B,

Yes, it is a sort of "Nose Art". OK not  classic version with a Pin-up Girl but still . . .  : )  : )  : )

In its original form the Eagle was on the nose (after cockpit) and a smaller version of it was on the left hand side vertical surface. This is how Red 05 looked like when at Dzemgi base. THis is the base in the city of Komsomolsk na Amure. Actually the other side of the runway from the actual aircraft factory.

At its last operation base years later, there were some modifications to the design with the Dzemgi letters covered with paint on the tail surface. The whole story was supplied for the manufacturer but not everything was included in the kit instruction. 

Is it only me who likes this design? ? ? ?  ? ?    I love it!!!!!!!!

Especially the fact that one can trace the history of the aircraft and changes to markings.

Apparently not only me, since the manufacturer also seen some potential in it and included it. There are some other very nice designs, but there was no space for others with this kit.   : (   : (

Best regards

Gabor   

Gabor, thanks for the response.  Regarding the paint scheme, I think the eagles are a nice touch on that airframe.  

However, frankly, the camouflage paint is nothing significantly different than than the many other schemes offered in the both the GWH Su-27 and Su-27UB kit instructions.  Ideally, what I was looking for was a different looking paint scheme, even if it was for an Su-27 in the service of a country other than the USSR/Russia or the Ukraine.  One scheme I did find, that I kind of like, is the multi-tone greens of the Angola Su-27s.  I'm not sure I would actually want to use that scheme (although it's something to consider), but maybe that gives you an idea of the 'different' kind of look I was hoping to do for one of my Su-27s. 

Curt

Edited by Curt B

Hi Curt B,

Yes, I understand what you are looking for, BUT . . .

1. Here we have an aircraft type which initially was operated ONLY by the Soviet Union.

2. It had one standard camo scheme applied by the factory with the same colours. Today the same applies to the Chinese aircraft with the same Grey scheme. It is exactly the same with no variation to it apart from unit markings. Or the same for Ukrainian digital camo (yes, they look very different but all are the same with minimal difference)

In this sort of situation it is very difficult for a kit manufacturer to come up with something really eye-catching.

This is where the different “nose arts” in the shape of individual unit markings can add a little bit of “colour”. The choices of markings were made based on this.

There are some really colourful schemes with African or Latin American users on Flanker family aircraft. But that is another story.

One thing comes to mind, it is hard to expect to have some really colourful scheme, with some nice camouflage from an SR-71 kit! Apart from the different tail markings. It is a farfetched example but the situation with those early Su-27’s was similar!

Best regards

Gabor

• 7 months later...

Some more shots.

Besides the D&W landing gears and exhaust nozzles, it's built OOB.

What I want to tell is whatever or how much detailed a kit is, it eventuallt depends on how you can paint it.

It is not the level of details decides the final outcome, but the builder yourself.

DSC_0833.thumb.JPG.cb68406d600a94d99f51c46f04f80738.JPG

DSC_0786.thumb.JPG.e1d4b4ce92d6ba6b5d27150d2dc3a692.JPGDSC_0788.thumb.JPG.7d617e3404f7aed4bd8c645b6dacc3ba.JPG

DSC_0823.thumb.JPG.f8ff9d560d919cc990a25b6165784fb9.JPGDSC_0759.thumb.JPG.77eb79a11dbf23492788c180ec32511c.JPGDSC_0926.thumb.JPG.3d447c9bc2f167cd29a6959945ab3b55.JPG

DSC_0910.thumb.JPG.43509e08aa368ea65a253d6e830f820e.JPG