Sorry to hear about the canopy as well.

At least you have the 3 part canopy. I assume you're going for an open one, that will be much easier that if you go closed.

I'm sure that ultimately with your skills, both options are possible - but in my mind, the 3 part canopy is much better used for an open configuration

On 4/21/2021 at 10:44 PM, crackerjazz said:

Great update!  Sorry to hear about the canopy, though.  I'm wondering what can be done to save it. Those scratchbuilt details were a labor of love and it's already got the decals on.   If you do use the multi-part canopy, I think the edges of the glass should be painted black so they don't reflect light, then glue onto the frame with Hypo GS.

Thank you mate. I managed to remove the detailed internal structure of the first canopy. Thanksfully I purchased 10 years ago the VF decal sheet for the Tomcatters last Tomcat cruise so I can pick up the names for the second canopy. For the multi-parts canopy I will follow your advice to subdue the optical white edge effect.What is Hyp GS?

IMG_9924.JPG

On 4/22/2021 at 11:08 AM, Red Dog said:

Sorry to hear about the canopy as well.

At least you have the 3 part canopy. I assume you're going for an open one, that will be much easier that if you go closed.

I'm sure that ultimately with your skills, both options are possible - but in my mind, the 3 part canopy is much better used for an open configuration

Hello Red Dog.

Thank you for your kind support. I planned an open configuration. I hope i could achieve this kit in the next month if i don't mess again some work...

it's a good thing you got the decals.   Hypo GS is a clear cement with a precision applicator that doesn't fog canopies.  I got it from a local craft store in the beads/jewelry section.  On second thought I think white glue should work just as well.

https://www.gssupplies.com/gs-hypo-cement

I found a thread here

And another one here

On 4/24/2021 at 3:22 PM, crackerjazz said:

it's a good thing you got the decals.   Hypo GS is a clear cement with a precision applicator that doesn't fog canopies.  I got it from a local craft store in the beads/jewelry section.  On second thought I think white glue should work just as well.

I found a thread here

And another one here

Thank you for your usefull links. I will try to find it at my LHS. I generaly use PVA or MEK PAK (may be too much agressive for clear styrene).

Regards.

LAST UPDATE BABY !

Call it finished! 😅 Only the actuactors on the upper airbrake are missing.

As expected the small details require so much time: pitot and AOA probes, panels of the landing gear covers (i hate painting the red lines on the edge of it) and their actuators, ladder, etc... (I've made an error when painting the lights, can you spot it?)

I overcome the canopy disaster with the "3 spare parts" alternative included the box.

On 4/24/2021 at 3:22 PM, crackerjazz said:

I found a thread here

And another one here

Thank you Crackerjazz for your advise but i can't find this product in Europe.😒

Final thoughs:

The shape and final render of the kit are quite close to the real thing. It really looks like an F-14 

Kudos for the AMK design squad for the engineering and providing such a big amount of details (the best landing gear and intake and nozzles on the market?).

The cockpit details can also be highlighted.

On the goofies side: weird aft fuselage shape, IFR probe misslocated, perfectible quality decals (can't stand the comparison with Fightertown one's) and plastic, panel lines on the air intakes are different between port and starboard 🤐), lack of details on the stabilazers and the wing (compared with Tamiya ones)

The details are crisp and the 3D seamlines are not prononced on the pieces. I can only advise you to buy this kit (i'm not impartial cause I really love this aircraft).

I've built half dozen of F-14A, it's my first delta, at 72nd and 48th scale. I remember the Hasegawa one back in 1990 with its awfull intake build....the AMK kit is my most enjoyable build so far (the Tamiya kit is still sitting on the stash).

Thank you for watching and constant support.

Stephane

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0031.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

• 1 month later...
21 hours ago, phantom said:

That turned out great, looks better then my same paint job in 1/32....Looks MUCH better then mine!

Thank you Phantom for your kind words. You beat me in terms of speed and number! Are you going for a third model kit of the cat?

23 hours ago, SERNAK said:

Looks like we have a winner gentlemen ! Who can beat his work especially on the engines!

Thank you SERNAK for your kind words. A lot of beautiful builds here.

I really appreciate your encouragements. Stephane.

On 6/23/2021 at 5:00 PM, Red Dog said:

Well done completing the model Stephane,

She's Gorgeous

Thank you Red Dog. Very appreciated. I follow your build and s progressing very well. I can’t wait to see the diorama of the F-14 on the scratchbuilt catapult. This will certainly be the next best model of the show. 

Edited by FASTEAGLE107
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi there. Love the job you've done on this Tomcatters F-14! I'm after this decal sheet (VF-2), but it's out of print. Could I buy the remainder of the sheet from you? I'm in New Zealand.

16 hours ago, FASTEAGLE107 said:

Hello New Zeland.

I will not use this scheme un the future and i would send you the decals of course for free.

Please send me your postal adress.

Best regards Stéphane

Oh wow! You're very kind! I'll private message you.