1/48 Has F-14A ADC markings .... USAF what if

I’ve wanted to do this project for a long time and this seems like a good reason.  

USAF looked at the F-14 as a replacement for the F-106 and this will be what if they actually got them.  So 1/48 Has A model with ADC markings, probably 318th FIS.  I’m thinking about changing engines to the PW F100 if I can get some exhausts to fit. 

Before I can start I need to sort out pic posting. Haven’t posted pics for a long time. Going to try to figure that out so I opened this thread as a place to practice getting some pics up. Hopefully I’ll get a pic up in the next day or two, and then get started on the kit.

Edited by Gary F
13 hours ago, Gary F said:

I’ve wanted to do this project for a long time and this seems like a good reason.  

USAF looked at the F-14 as a replacement for the F-106 and this will be what if they actually got them.  So 1/48 Has A model with ADC markings, probably 318th FIS.  I’m thinking about changing engines to the PW F100 if I can get some exhausts to fit. 

Before I can start I need to sort out pic posting. Haven’t posted pics for a long time. Going to try to figure that out so I opened this thread as a place to practice getting some pics up. Hopefully I’ll get a pic up in the next day or two, and then get started on the kit.

I've thought about doing a 'Cat as a what-if in retro navy markings, mid-war WWII - dark then medium blues over white underside.

Pics of the kit. Most of the parts are bagged so it could be combined into another box when it looked like we were going to move a while back. 

Theres also a spare set of Academy Tomcat wings and some spare exhausts I may use. And some ADC decals I may use but we’ll see. 

F8341-C2-D-F6-AF-4-FB3-B4-FA-00-FE70-C89

Hopefully i’ll actually get started tomorrow, and do a bit better on the pics. 

I’ve been playing with the Has kit this past week and seeing how much work it’s going to take, so I decided to add a 1/48 Tamiya F-14 kit to my build as an easy build while I plug away at the Has kit. The Tamiya build will go the same route ... USAF what if with ADC or ADTAC markings. Tamiya kit is still parts in the bags. I’ll get a pic later and then get the sprues washed up to get started. 

On a side note I found I had glued the interior trunk parts inside the intake tunnels on the Has kit. Doesn’t help the fit of the intakes so I’ve separated the internal parts and will start over trying to get a better fit on the main trunk then build up the inside stuff as some of the tutorials suggest. We’ll see what happens. 

Here’s the Tamiya F-14A kit after washing and starting to clip parts. 

Dont know if these decal sheets will get used or not but I have several Caracal F-106 decals to use also. And I’ll be grabbing a couple PW exhausts from some Tamiya F-16 kits. 

BEEB2-F20-21-FF-4-E91-8-CF2-B3-A1090-AAC

• 1 month later...

LOVE the idea of the AF Tomcat, I remember the photo of the mockup they did!  Wonder what the Century-fighter number might have been (i.e. F-4 Phantom was almost the F-110 in AF service).

As far as the WW2 blue scheme on the Tomcat, here's one:  http://www.arcair.com/Gal6/5301-5400/gal5303-F-14-Desautels/00.shtm