F-8 wing position question

Hi all,

I've just got a Hasegawa '48th F-8E. Does anyone know if the aircraft were ever parked with the wing down? I would guess it's slaved to flap position in some way?

Thanks all.

Also I'm looking for some lovely colourful decals - all help there would be appreciated also.

Thanks again,

Marc.

Wing can be down when it is parked.  When the wing goes up the leading and trailing flaps go down even if the wings are folded.  There is a good reference in this forum here.

Geoff M

Edited by Geoff M
12 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Every time I see an F-8 I can't get it into my head how such a tiny little piece of metal holds the plane in the air (I know, a larger proportion of weight hangs on the aft wing hinges, but still...)...

J

Well Jeff, the F-104 and F-5 spring to mind as far as wing area goes or am am missing your point and do you mean the forward wing jack?

Marc.

1 minute ago, serendip said:

Well Jeff, the F-104 and F-5 spring to mind as far as wing area goes or am am missing your point and do you mean the forward wing jack?

Marc.

Did you get your B-52 yet and what do you think (completely off topic I know).

2 hours ago, Geoff M said:

I believe he was referring to the wing jack and the fact that the wing was being held on by just that one attachment point at the front.

Geoff M

Yes indeed. And that that it's actually a universal joint, so not just one, but two eyelets joint with preciously little surface area. I guess the margins must have been slim. Confidence in calculations.. 🙂

J

On 2/18/2021 at 6:36 PM, Geoff M said:

Wing can be down when it is parked.  When the wing goes up the leading and trailing flaps go down even if the wings are folded.  There is a good reference in this forum here.

Geoff M

Thanks Geoff and thank's for the link. I read the post but can't really find the circumstances in which the wing would be down on the ground. When the slats and flaps are in bit when would that be the case?

Marc.

By design, under almost all flight conditions, the wing lift (center of pressure) is aft of the hinge point. The actuator is actually holding the wing up, not holding it on. As far as I know, there have been no incidents of the wing coming off because of over exuberant maneuvering; the hinge points have failed first.  

2 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

By design, under almost all flight conditions, the wing lift (center of pressure) is aft of the hinge point. The actuator is actually holding the wing up, not holding it on. As far as I know, there have been no incidents of the wing coming off because of over exuberant maneuvering; the hinge points have failed first.  

Does this refer to the front actuator hinge or the rear wing hinge?

There were rumors that the wing was partially lifting during hard maneuvering but Vought and NAVY engineers said "no way".  it was proven so after cameras were installed on an airframe.  The existing single latch was beefed up and a second added to the other side of the airframe.

11 hours ago, Tailspin Turtle said:

It may have happened at least once. In the book "fast movers"  the chapter about f8 driver John Pirate Nichols.  He talks about TR Schwartz and Beaver Heiss coming Into the break for  "close abeam club" break. The wing seperated from the fuselage and the fuselage landed in a baseball diamond. Vought later estimated that as the wing seperated rhe fuselage pulled 176g, instantly killing the pilot. Sad stuff. 

12 hours ago, tomthegrom said:

It may have happened at least once. In the book "fast movers"  the chapter about f8 driver John Pirate Nichols.  He talks about TR Schwartz and Beaver Heiss coming Into the break for  "close abeam club" break. The wing seperated from the fuselage and the fuselage landed in a baseball diamond. Vought later estimated that as the wing seperated rhe fuselage pulled 176g, instantly killing the pilot. Sad stuff. 

Beaver was killed when the wing’s pivot fittings failed in tension due to overload (the wing was down).

21 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

There were rumors that the wing was partially lifting during hard maneuvering but Vought and NAVY engineers said "no way".  it was proven so after cameras were installed on an airframe.  The existing single latch was beefed up and a second added to the other side of the airframe.

That’s in a book written by a NASA test pilot. There was no latch initially. Vought subsequently added a lock, perhaps of the actuator itself. I’ll have to look that up if somebody else doesn’t do it first.

On 2/21/2021 at 12:56 AM, Tailspin Turtle said:

Good point! I would have thought with high lift devices deployed and wing up there would definitely be a pulling, not pushing force, but hadn't taken the high wing sweep into account.

Cheers!

J

2 hours ago, serendip said:

I'm still wondering however if anyone can recommend some colourful decal sheets for USMC or USN F-8E's.

How about   https://www.furballaero-design.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=48-007

Shows out of stock but may be found by other sellers...

Also, the Fox One sheet:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fox-One-Decals-48-025-Marine-Corps-Crusaders-Decals-1-48th-scale-/283808924862

15 hours ago, habu2 said:

How about   https://www.furballaero-design.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=48-007

Shows out of stock but may be found by other sellers...

Also, the Fox One sheet:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fox-One-Decals-48-025-Marine-Corps-Crusaders-Decals-1-48th-scale-/283808924862

Thanks Habu!