FJ-3 Fury Questions

Hey, gents...I hope y'all are staying as warm as possible this winter. Anyway, I'm aware that the FJ-3 Fury was built with a 6-3 wing starting in 1955 which left the similar wing to the FJ-2 Fury a thing of the past. Well, probably not all save for some drones, R&D and other non-operational birds. From my research the only thing that I could find thus far is that that starting in 1956 all US Navy airframes were retrofitted with the AAR probe & drogue method the Navy & Marine Corps use on their aircraft. Does anyone know if this means Navy FJ-3 Fury's or just in general Naval Aviation that include one's assigned to both Navy & Marine Corps? I also know North American Aviation built the FJ-3M allowing AIM-9 stores, but I'm not as interested in that as of right know. I can't seem that find concrete info on the other questions, but I'll keep looking still. I don't know how many FJ Fury aficionados we have in the house, but can anyone help with these two questions. I've got a Kitty Hawk 1/48 FJ-2 oscar mike as we speak & I'm wanting the FJ-3 in same scale from same company when I can find one that I can ready to ship from reputable source within the states. Thanks for all your support, motivators! 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

Gunny,

Be careful with the term '6-3' wing, which doesn't apply to the FJ series. Yes, there was a broad-chord version of the folding wing, but it featured a heavily cambered leading edge and wrap-around wing fence, both of which differed a great deal from the '6-3' wing found on F-86s. Notably, the cambered wing was 'wet', whereas the '6-3' was dry on F-86s. In fact it had been planned to fit 'wet' leading edges on F-86s but the USAF declined its adoption. NAA later passed that data to Commonwealth, which did fit a wet '6-3' wing on later versions of the Avon Sabre.

The cambered leading edge wasn't introduced on production FJ-3s until midway through the initial batch, and then retrofitted to most aircraft as they went through Alameda, NAA Columbus etc.

The AAR probe was installed as production equipment from BuAer No.136118 and then retrofitted under Service Change No.205 to most earlier aircraft. But even then, some aircraft which had been converted, didn't necessarily carry the probe itself. As is usually the case with the F-86 and FJ series aircraft, good photo references are key.

7 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Notably, the cambered wing was 'wet', whereas the '6-3' was dry on F-86s. In fact it had been planned to fit 'wet' leading edges on F-86s but the USAF declined its adoption. NAA later passed that data to Commonwealth, which did fit a wet '6-3' wing on later versions of the Avon Sabre.

Hi Sabrejet,  could you explain what is meant by "wet" and "dry" cambered wings?  What is the difference between the two?

Thank you.

8 minutes ago, JackMan said:

Hi Sabrejet,  could you explain what is meant by "wet" and "dry" cambered wings?  What is the difference between the two?

Thank you.

Apologies: wet = fuel, dry = no fuel. The wet leading edge was used as an extra fuel storage space.

8 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Apologies: wet = fuel, dry = no fuel. The wet leading edge was used as an extra fuel storage space.

Ah, I see.

Yes, I remember now reading about it on Tommy's page:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-zTawRcYiLCA/TaScr67N6RI/AAAAAAAABHg/NTFBj639lYI/s1600/FJ-3+CLE+Wing+Fold+web+redux.jpg

http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2011/04/fj23-fury-redux.html

Thanks for the clarification :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Gunny,

Be careful with the term '6-3' wing, which doesn't apply to the FJ series. Yes, there was a broad-chord version of the folding wing, but it featured a heavily cambered leading edge and wrap-around wing fence, both of which differed a great deal from the '6-3' wing found on F-86s. Notably, the cambered wing was 'wet', whereas the '6-3' was dry on F-86s. In fact it had been planned to fit 'wet' leading edges on F-86s but the USAF declined its adoption. NAA later passed that data to Commonwealth, which did fit a wet '6-3' wing on later versions of the Avon Sabre.

The cambered leading edge wasn't introduced on production FJ-3s until midway through the initial batch, and then retrofitted to most aircraft as they went through Alameda, NAA Columbus etc.

The AAR probe was installed as production equipment from BuAer No.136118 and then retrofitted under Service Change No.205 to most earlier aircraft. But even then, some aircraft which had been converted, didn't necessarily carry the probe itself. As is usually the case with the F-86 and FJ series aircraft, good photo references are key.

For sake of the camber in 1/48 on the FJ-3 do you think it would be quite noticeable. Or, would I have to do a bit of modification to make it look more realistic to the trained eye like a judge at a contest? Was the camber mainly at the leading slat where I could just add some putty on the bottom of the slat itself? Thanks for your detailed reply earlier!!!!! 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns 

2 hours ago, Gunny said:

For sake of the camber in 1/48 on the FJ-3 do you think it would be quite noticeable. Or, would I have to do a bit of modification to make it look more realistic to the trained eye like a judge at a contest? Was the camber mainly at the leading slat where I could just add some putty on the bottom of the slat itself? Thanks for your detailed reply earlier!!!!! 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns 

Yes the camber is at the leading edge around the slat area. The KH kit does incorporate it though...

2 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

Yes the camber is at the leading edge around the slat area. The KH kit does incorporate it though...

So I can conjure up a quasi 6-3 wing for the FJ-3 kit if I, say, use a roll of putty along the bottom the slats & make accommodations for the wet wing or do you reckon it’s nots worth the trouble? I don’t mind leaving the kit wing as is if I have to do too much modification. Thanks!!!

4 hours ago, Gunny said:

So I can conjure up a quasi 6-3 wing for the FJ-3 kit if I, say, use a roll of putty along the bottom the slats & make accommodations for the wet wing or do you reckon it’s nots worth the trouble? I don’t mind leaving the kit wing as is if I have to do too much modification. Thanks!!!

the FJ-3 kit comes with the cambered hard wing.  No putty required

Roger that & thanks for that info. Thanks for your help & while we're on the topic of the KH 1/48 FJ-3 kit, does anyone here know when it might be released from CONUS shops or has it been already & sold out? Anyone scuttlebutt? I don't want to order from China & wait until June for it to arrive according to the listings shipping times for this kit from those sellers. Again, as always, thanks for your continued contributions to my endless questions. I hope y'all are being safe & well. God Bless.

Semper FI,

Masterguns

35 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

I ordered mine from China as soon as it was announced and it only took a couple of weeks to arrive.

Why aren't there any in the shops in the USA? Was this kit released in 2020? Thanks. 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

Does Kitty Hawk even have a domestic distributor here in the US? I would imagine that since the kit was just released last month in China any kits coming into the US aside from the individuals that ordered from a vendor in China, would be on a container ship driving slowly across the Pacific. Add to that sitting at the docks before being unloaded from their container then for who knows how long before customs gets to them to release them. It could be another month or two before someone like Sprue Bothers gets them in stock in any quantity.   

Edited by jpk

Same in the UK with Hannants: still showing as a future release. I'd recommend ordering direct rather than waiting, if you need one quick.

The timing of arrival in the retailers for many will be good: Caracal decal sheets should be out around that time; Hypersonic also should have its dedicated FJ-3 correction set (intake lip + "short" trunking, revised radio compass antenna) out sometime soon too. We hope 🙂

Hey, fellers! I'm not sure what the mystery is with the quasi release of the Kitty Hawk FJ-3 is outside of China. COVID? Some kind of problem at the factory? The suits conspiring (sarcasm) or can't come to an consensus about when to announce the date? In any case, I found a Kitty Hawk FJ-3 from a USA seller on Amazon. Granted, the store owner is Chinese & she's certainly getting these direct from buddies in China & selling them via Amazon. No complaints from me, however. I ordered some RC plane (The Mrs. SgtMaj keeping an eagles eye on my hobby funds due to having three quite expensive hobbies-guns, RC jets & props & of course our beloved & time honored static styrene scale models) electronics from her several weeks ago & it was great service.

Her negative feedback is mostly rubbish so take that with a grain of salt. I ordered this kit late Monday night & it's out for delivery. Probably around 1500-1400 EST. She has six remaining as of this writing. I also ordered an in-stock FJ-2 from HLJ on Monday & it arrived on my porch 0900 EST, but the FJ-3 is vaporware there, too. I hear the Caracal FJ-2 Part 1 & 2 FJ-2 sheets are being reprinted this Spring & he's working on FJ-3. Hypersonic is working on FJ-3 resin corrections as the -2 & -3 obviously vary in airframe dimensions. So.....it seems we 1/48 Kitty Hawk fans of a decently accurate model ashould be in for a treat. Here's the link for the Amazon FJ-3 if you're interested:  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SGRMBVD?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

Take care, gents. I hope y'all & your loved one's are being safe & staying well! Thanks for having me back to the forums! Y'all some good folks to have around. 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

Jeffrey at Hypersonic is working on a few things for the new FJ-3. As for the cockpit, he will essentially be combining the turtle deck from his -2 set with a new antenna array native to the -3. He will also do an update on the seat for the -3 as well. He will also be doing the same treatment to the intake that he did to the -2 however he will not be doing a complete intake trunk as of now.(possibly subject to change knowing Jeffrey). That set may have the same exhaust parts as well. The nose gear leg is applicable to both kits so nothing will change there. If you do not want to fill in the ribbed stabs, his resin set supplies those.

Unfortunately I think Caracal Decals will be simply up scaling the decals sets from the 1/72 -3 Fury Sword kits. Too bad. I hope I am wrong. There are many more active fighter squadrons that operated the -3 Fury with colorful schemes. Perhaps some other decal printers like Furball or Fightertown will do one of their multi squadron sheets for the kit if Caracal does not.   

Edited by jpk
47 minutes ago, sierrascale said:

Thanks for the Amazon link - I grabbed one of the last six. Only regret... should have gotten two.

Bob in Louisville

My pleasure. Enjoy!

On 2/26/2021 at 9:09 PM, jpk said:

Unfortunately I think Caracal Decals will be simply up scaling the decals sets from the 1/72 -3 Fury Sword kits. Too bad. I hope I am wrong. There are many more active fighter squadrons that operated the -3 Fury with colorful schemes. Perhaps some other decal printers like Furball or Fightertown will do one of their multi squadron sheets for the kit if Caracal does not.   

No, he won't - he is changing most of the options.

On 3/3/2021 at 6:59 PM, KursadA said:

No, he won't - he is changing most of the options.

Great news! I certainly would have bought a couple of sets if he was not but this I am looking forward to. I hope VF-33 is included in one of his sets. 

47 minutes ago, jpk said:

Great news! I certainly would have bought a couple of sets if he was not but this I am looking forward to. I hope VF-33 is included in one of his sets. 

KursadA is Caracal Decals. He was referring to himself in third party in the reply to your earlier post about scaling up his 1/72 sheets. (Just in case you didn't know...not trying to insult your intelligence)