Kitty Hawk 1/48 F9F-8 Cougar....

On 2/20/2021 at 11:30 PM, Paul Boyer said:

Yeah, there were some funky fit problems and strange engineering. But I got through it OK. Of course, I'm just usually a 1/72 scale kit builder, so what do I know?:

DSCN8862.JPG

Nice build.

On 2/25/2021 at 3:10 AM, paulsbrown said:

It does test patience. But it does look good finished and on the shelf.  I think it must be an early effort by KH, I remember the sprue trees being the thickest I have ever seen in a kit like a limited run thing. The newer KH Flankers I've built are pretty good. 

Sorry for the repeat of information. The F9F-8T was Kitty Hawk's second kit after the F-94 Starfire. Then they released the single seat Coug after that. The Starfire was released in 2012. I remember talking with the KH rep at the Nationals in Orlando about future releases. He said two USN subjects were planned. He did not reveal what they were but now I am assuming one obviously was the Cougar the second, possibly the Banshee. Originally KH was going to release the photo Coug as a separate kit. Wisely I think they decided to combine it with the single seat kit. The sprue trees are very thick in the Cougar kits. They got a lot finer in their later kits as their engineering improved. 

Edited by jpk
3 hours ago, jpk said:

The F9F-8T was Kitty Hawk's second kit after the F-94 Starfire. Then they released the single seat Coug after that. 

I don't think that's quite correct. There were a fair few kits between the F-94 and the TF-9. In 1/48 the F-35s, Mirage F.1s and Jaguars were all prior to the two-seat Cougar.

Jon

On 6/8/2021 at 12:08 PM, jonbryon said:

I don't think that's quite correct. There were a fair few kits between the F-94 and the TF-9. In 1/48 the F-35s, Mirage F.1s and Jaguars were all prior to the two-seat Cougar.

Jon

I stand corrected. That would explain the much larger part trees in the F-35 kits. There was enough plastic in those to mold another kit. 

I built three of these  and looking for a builder kit  But if you need any help or spare parts I have some of each.  Like spare clear parts  and two full noses. 

The prices for the single seater is crazy right now due to KH closing down.

BTW-THE RF-101 is also going for crazy $$  I have one of those in the stash but waiting for the DMolds correction nose.

Steve,

3 hours ago, scorvi said:

BTW-THE RF-101 is also going for crazy $$  I have one of those in the stash but waiting for the DMolds correction nose.

I never cease to be amazed by the enterprising aftermarket manufacturers who persist in trying to correct mistakes that never were.😄

47AC4CA4-D59A-4C85-B7EB-16AAB90C2B87.jpeg

Great build, Scorvi 👌. I like the NMF, simple but striking.

The nose on my RF-101 is built straight from the kit with the simple addition of a few details. As you can see, there’s no kink like on the photo of the aftermarketer’s advert.

Thanks  IT was a tough build to get all aligned.........Not the best of fitting kits for sure.  And NMF shows everything!

The RF-101 will be in Sun Run markings ....It will be a joy painting those yellow stripes--Not  LOL

Steve,