MPC Star Wars X-Wing Red Leader (just a "bit" accurized)

This is an older project, but one that I never posted to ARC before. I started it in 2017 and finished it in 2018. The kit used was an original early 1978 issue of the MPC X-Wing in about 1/41 scale and it has been modified in spots for better accuracy. Only resin parts used were the cockpit and the R2 unit originally done by a friend of mine over a decade ago and he mastered his parts from original MPC bits as well.

There are very few sub-assemblies on this model that haven't been modified in some way. Highlights include:

Outer engine pods replaced with Estes X-Wing parts for improved external appearance.

Fuselage "kink" on bottom fixed with part from second X-Wing kit acting as filler piece

Wing cannons made with combination of brass and styrene telescoping tube, gun shields from Estes kit.

Front canopy/windscreen profile heavily modified

Inner wing openings modified with details added.

Strip styrene used on the rear wings to give them a proper deep recessed appearance

Styrene bits added in various spots to the fuselage

New Proton Torpedo launchers built with two part epoxy putty.

Animation rod style mounting point added to the back of the fuselage (and a separate cover piece).

Custom display stand allows me to display the X-Wing at any roll angle

Pilot figure modified with a helmet based on what the studio model pilot figures had.

The paint and weathering job for this model is based on the appearance of the Red Leader studio model from the first Star Wars film. For reference I consulted most everything I could find in print and online. Only decals used on this were some of the tiny black hash marks seen on the model. The distinctive red stripes and accent colors were all masked and airbrushed on.

xwingfin10.jpg

xwingfin7.jpg

1750830614_paintchipping.jpg

xwingfin5.jpg