1 hour ago, Dutch said:

Andy, Are you going to turn your sights on creatign a scale Cooter, Daisy, Luke & Bo to go along with your vehicles?

Hey there Dutch, nope, I almost never do figures.  Only real exception is my X-wing diorama, and my USS Arizona which I take to display when I give presentations; I decided after a few years that having a "ghost ship" underway on the high seas just wasn't right, so I put tiny crew all over her.  Really made a difference.

My current project will need a figure though, a Red Green Show project of the hippy bush pilot "Buzz Sherwood".  Started a diorama of his trashed float plane, and I'll need him on the dock 😁

• 4 weeks later...

Some fine scratch building there, Andrew! 

The rear deck with all the towing equipment really rocks and the cable looks very convincing too. For some reason I've always had troubles finding true to scale chains but luckily you've succeeded better. Actually, on some builds I would have needed even finer chain (at least for mud flaps of my Lancia Stratos rally car).

Great work with different lights too. All too often one sees headlights with reflectors painted with basic silver - which just is not bright enough. I have some Tamiya brochures where even the kit examples have been done this way and it looks extremely lame and toy-like. I always use foil or foil tape and it really makes the difference. Luckily, some new rally car kits now have chrome parts for lights (I have some older kit that has them too but most of the Hase kits have never had them before). I've never tried your method of sanding rhinestones though but it looks good.

A special mention has to be given for the interior where the black floor mat (especially the center tunnel) looks just like dusty rubber mat would in real life! 😀

3 hours ago, janman said:

Some fine scratch building there, Andrew! 

The rear deck with all the towing equipment really rocks and the cable looks very convincing too. For some reason I've always had troubles finding true to scale chains but luckily you've succeeded better. Actually, on some builds I would have needed even finer chain (at least for mud flaps of my Lancia Stratos rally car).

Great work with different lights too. All too often one sees headlights with reflectors painted with basic silver - which just is not bright enough. I have some Tamiya brochures where even the kit examples have been done this way and it looks extremely lame and toy-like. I always use foil or foil tape and it really makes the difference. Luckily, some new rally car kits now have chrome parts for lights (I have some older kit that has them too but most of the Hase kits have never had them before). I've never tried your method of sanding rhinestones though but it looks good.

A special mention has to be given for the interior where the black floor mat (especially the center tunnel) looks just like dusty rubber mat would in real life! 😀

Kindest thanks my friend, very much!

I'm still wondering if I should go back and scratchbuild a half-eaten box of doughnuts for the front seat 😄

• 1 year later...

Outstanding! Side note, the wrecker unit, though very similar to a Holmes model 400, was actually made by West Manufacturing, a regional manufacturer located on 57th Street in Los Angeles.  The same wrecker can be seen in the opening sequence of “Cheech and Chong’s Next Movie.

West Mfg units were actually more popular at one time (mid-late ‘60s)in Southern California, as West always had towing units and parts in stock, from wrecker bodies to turnkey trucks ready to work. They also custom built and repaired anything you wanted.  The local Holmes dealer, Lambert Equipment, usually only had a few demos on hand and had to order everything from Chattanooga.  

On 6/18/2022 at 5:21 PM, PhoenixTowing said:

Outstanding! Side note, the wrecker unit, though very similar to a Holmes model 400, was actually made by West Manufacturing, a regional manufacturer located on 57th Street in Los Angeles.  The same wrecker can be seen in the opening sequence of “Cheech and Chong’s Next Movie.

West Mfg units were actually more popular at one time (mid-late ‘60s)in Southern California, as West always had towing units and parts in stock, from wrecker bodies to turnkey trucks ready to work. They also custom built and repaired anything you wanted.  The local Holmes dealer, Lambert Equipment, usually only had a few demos on hand and had to order everything from Chattanooga.  

Thank you!  And great to know....when I was desperately trying to find info on the unit, the best I got was "Looks like some kind of Holmes" from the folks at the auto modeling site I go to for such things.  Still with that knowledge I found almost nothing useable online, which is why I went the route of taking screen shots and making prints of literally dozens of views from the actual TV show.   Total desperation.  

Really appreciate the history, that makes total sense. Thanks again! :cheers: 

• 1 year later...