Iwata Eclipse Gravity Feed vs. Badger Patriot 105

Hello modelers,

I wanted to ask AB experts out there what are the advantages of each. I have used Badgers exclusively i the past, but not the Patriot. I was leaning on buying the Patriot due to the lower price. 

TIA

Triet

Edited by trietmcam

I had the Patriot 105 for a couple of weeks.  It has a larger needle opening, 0.5mm vs 0.35mm on the the Eclipse.  So if you don't need to do fine detail work, then it will work fine.  To me, the Eclipse has smoother trigger feel and finer spray control.  I can use it to do tight freehand camouflage on 1/48 scale aircraft with ease.  So it mostly depends on the types of model you will be spraying.  If you build mostly cars, tanks, and other large scale models, then the Patriot 105 will be sufficient.  BTW, I will be putting my Eclipse up for sale for cheap, so send me a PM if interested.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently switched from a Badger Anthem to the Iwata Eclipse.  I couldn’t be happier.  The Eclipse has a good heavy feel and a smooth trigger.  I also like how easy it is to clean.  I have had better luck with freehand camp and fine detail work.  I am no expert by any means but am happy with the switch.

On 3/12/2021 at 11:45 PM, MathmanAHS said:

I recently switched from a Badger Anthem to the Iwata Eclipse.  I couldn’t be happier.  The Eclipse has a good heavy feel and a smooth trigger.  I also like how easy it is to clean.  I have had better luck with freehand camp and fine detail work.  I am no expert by any means but am happy with the switch.

I had previously used a Badger 155, and LOVED it. That was 14 years ago. Fast forward to November, and the consensus is Iwata - so I got an Eclipse side feed.

It took me quite a while to figure out some nuances - part of it was pressure control, I have a fine-control regulator. I also learned the nozzle and "air cap" areas have to be immaculately cleaned.

And a big jump up the curve was switching to a 0.5mm nozzle and needle. I'm loving the Eclipse now!