Super glue in liquid form contains cyanoacrylate monomers. The presence of water triggers a polymerization reaction between these monomers.

main-qimg-9eb5f4432abc3f39d38128311a9bf6a8

The cyanoacrylate group in the monomer rapidly polymerize in the presence of water to form long, strong chains.
On 2/24/2021 at 2:40 PM, breadneck said:

So adding water could be a better solution than accelerator ?

In some cases, but generally it makes a weaker bond and can make the glue look white and powdery. Accelerators are almost all stuff that evaporates quickly and only a tiny bit of stuff that cures cyanoacrylate.

It does help to increase the humidity if you have low humidity in the house. You can also try lightly blowing on the bond.

On 2/24/2021 at 11:12 AM, breadneck said:

So i am curious to know why ca glue seems to react with water almost as if you added accelerator. Anyone know why this is?

AFAIK, added water changes the pH level. The pH level needs to be in a certain range for the polymerization to start.

But an excess of water is not desirable, the polymer will be of a low strength I think.

Rob

On 2/24/2021 at 4:40 PM, breadneck said:

So adding water could be a better solution than accelerator ?

Better? It depends.  It is cheaper (than accelerant) but potentially weaker in bonding strength.

On 2/27/2021 at 2:45 AM, habu2 said:

Better? It depends.  It is cheaper (than accelerant) but potentially weaker in bonding strength.

Ok so at first you say "form long strong bonds" and then you go on to say "potentially weaker in bonding strength" This "contradiction" makes no sense to me. Either we are talking about a stronger bond or a weaker bond when adding water. If you say both things you are confusing people. Soooo....which one is it? Don`t use too many scientific terms, talk in plain english so everybody can understand.

I`ve been using thin ca as a filler on my aluminium rims to fill in small scratches which worked great but i did not want to apply any ca kicker since i believe the glue would become porous. However by chance i noticed water would set the ca glue very fast, atleast the surfaces don`t know if this was throughout the glue.