Tamiya F-14A, VF-32 Libyan MiG-23 killer

Hi everyone,

I am planning on building a Tamiya A in VF-32 marking from the 1989 Libyan shootdown.  I have the Furball decal set that I am going to use for markings (can't decide between 202 or 207, fortunately I don't have to right away).  I am going to use a Black Box TCS pod from an old Bombcat set I have in my stash, Furball tail stiffeners, and Master alpha and AOA probes.  

IMG_4399.jpg

Here is where I am today:  Cockpit done, front gear bay done and nose together.  Not perfect, but I am happy where it is at.  Gotta take a break for a coupe days (working nights in the ER doesn't give me much time when I am working a stretch, thankfully only tonight and tomorrow night).

IMG_4400.jpg

IMG_4401.jpg

IMG_4402.jpg

So here is where I am right now.  Got the main part of the fuselage together and what little seems sanded (my issue, not the kits).  Also got the exhausts built and painted, though I am not 100% satisfied with them.  I will work on them when I weather the rest of the plane.  Also got the Furball tail reinforcement plates installed.  Super easy and I like the look of them.  Not overly thick, easy to install.  Plugging away and moving forward...

IMG_4408.jpg

IMG_4411.jpg

IMG_4413.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update before I head to work.  I have the main paint colors down finally.  I used Vallejo for all three main colors, however, I ran into a problem with the medium gray.  I don't know if it was from a bad batch or what, but it was decidedly blue.  Ridiculously blue.  Almost early-WW2 USN Blue-Gray blue.  So, I set it down for a couple days because I was going to chuck the model in frustration.  However, I was able to fix it by shooting the edges with the light ghost gray and using a Tamiya mix to get a color I could live with.  Anyways, this experience has really screwed up my experiment with black basing.  So that will be saved for the next build (possibly a D I have sitting in my stash, though the Tamiya P-38 is really calling my name).

I will post some pictures this weekend.  I also want to show you all the Vallejo Medium gray.

Hi Mathman, looking forward to your pics.   Do you have the same issue when the paint is sprayed on a background other than black?   I did hear black turns the top color bluish.  I saw that Doogs' Models video where he mottles it with MRP Dark GuDnship Gray to warm up the hue before applying succeeding gray colors.

So here are a couple quick shots of where I am at now.  Need to touch up some spots here and there, then clear coat and start the weathering process.  The Light Ghost gray is a bit light and the dark a bit too dark, but I like the contrast.  The medium gray is a mix of Tamiya grays, I forget the numbers (19, 82, and some 2).  Thanks for looking.

IMG_4423.jpg

IMG_4425.jpg

IMG_4424.jpg