CD48207 - 1/48 Piasecki HUP Retriever

8 hours ago, KursadA said:

Too bad the it definitely did not look like that when it was actually in service, though 🙂

I will definitely do the So. Weymouth one (is there a photo?), as well as others from other NAS, USS Shangri-La, Saratoga, Roosevelt and USS Little Rock - looks like these served everywhere, with some interesting variety in markings. If you are building one, just don't use the kit decals yet.

Yes, the "WILLOW GROVE" lettering is non-standard and probably inaccurate. This is a "restored" aircraft on display and the local volunteers who did the work may not have had access to the correct US Navy stencil cutting machine after the military base had closed. Take it with a grain of salt.  K/r,  Dutch 

• KursadA changed the title to CD48207 - 1/48 Piasecki HUP Retriever
On 3/8/2021 at 9:49 PM, KursadA said:

Too bad the it definitely did not look like that when it was actually in service, though 🙂

I will definitely do the So. Weymouth one (is there a photo?), as well as others from other NAS, USS Shangri-La, Saratoga, Roosevelt and USS Little Rock - looks like these served everywhere, with some interesting variety in markings. If you are building one, just don't use the kit decals yet.

Only photo I have is out of the book "NAS South Weymouth: The Defender of Freedom" by Mark Fratassio. The same photo was featured in the "Aircraft in Profile Vol 2" issue from Scale Aircraft Modeling, the same I pulled the color profile from.
EPSON007.jpg

There is also a photo of one in the Gloss Sea Blue scheme in the Fratassio book. you can see it has the orange "Reserve" stripe on the aft fuselage, bordering the "NAVY" and "SO. WEYMOUTH":

EPSON008.jpg

Edited by 82Whitey51
  • 1 month later...
On 3/5/2021 at 7:34 PM, 82Whitey51 said:

I suppose I'd be remiss if I didn't toss in my bid for a SO. WEYMOUTH NAS helo 🤷‍♂️:

EPSON006.jpg

I agree! My dad was stationed at So Wey in the 50's and early 60's before being transferred to NAS Olathe. 

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, KursadA said:

I believe we discussed that video some time ago - it will be one of the options on the sheet.

Thank you, and my apologies, didn't spot it earlier so thought I'd share it, looking forward to the sheet then!

3 hours ago, Dimosthenis said:

Thank you, and my apologies, didn't spot it earlier so thought I'd share it, looking forward to the sheet then!

No worries, it’s a great video and thanks for bringing it to the forefront again!! I will try to include helicopters bearing the names of USS Shangri-La, Roosevelt and Saratoga.

1 hour ago, KursadA said:

No worries, it’s a great video and thanks for bringing it to the forefront again!! I will try to include helicopters bearing the names of USS Shangri-La, Roosevelt and Saratoga.

You're very welcome and yes, it is rarely wonderful material. On a sidenote (though not trying to hijack this topic), the RF-8As and Marine F8U-1s featured in the video would be great schemes for the upcoming RF-8 set and (possibly) a future Crusader sheet too! 🙂

Take care!

Just barely visible in that great film is the sight of the leading-edge slats on the A-4 snapping shut on the stroke of the catapult. It's not the air/wind that is doing that, just the acceleration of the jet on the launch!

20 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

Just barely visible in that great film is the sight of the leading-edge slats on the A-4 snapping shut on the stroke of the catapult. It's not the air/wind that is doing that, just the acceleration of the jet on the launch!

One of the A4D/A-4 preflight items was to check that the slats easily moved from open to closed and back. As Paul noted, they would jam shut at the start of the catapult stroke and if only one opened at the end of it, the Skyhawk would roll upside down—since at end speed there was insufficient roll control power to counter the difference in lift—and crash into the sea. This happened twice in a few days early on, both fatal accidents. hence the care taken to rig them and the attention paid to them before launch.

• 2 months later...

Andy, What is the date for your first photo of HUP-2 130062 at South Weymouth?  According to Forgotten Rotors website, it was soc in May of '64.

HUP-2 (UH-25B) b/n 130062

*5/29/1964: Struck off charge at NAS Norfolk, VA.

Edited by Dutch
14 hours ago, Dutch said:

Andy, What is the date for your first photo of HUP-2 130062 at South Weymouth?  According to Forgotten Rotors website, it was soc in May of '64.

HUP-2 (UH-25B) b/n 130062

*5/29/1964: Struck off charge at NAS Norfolk, VA.

Not exactly sure of the date on the photo but in the text of "NAS South Weymouth, The Defender of Freedom" by Marc J. Frattasio, it states that all HUP-2 Retrievers were replaced by HSS-1s (H-34s) by the end of 1958.

• 2 months later...