A-10 SEA scheme! Awesome

You need to write a book.  Or maybe not.  I've read your stories in other words from other wars.  And that is not at all a dig, it's just a reaffirmation that war is hell, not matter the war.  But, you go ahead and write that book, I'll buy it.

16 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

You need to write a book.  Or maybe not.  I've read your stories in other words from other wars.  And that is not at all a dig, it's just a reaffirmation that war is hell, not matter the war.  But, you go ahead and write that book, I'll buy it.

war is a mental trauma. Nothing much more to it than that once you step back and look at it. Tony Herbert once said that the reason you use 18 and 19 year old kids instead young men in their mid twenties was because a 19 year old will do what you tell him to do with out asking why?  In other words a 19 year old with a full auto rifles is a very dangerous thing on the battlefield. I was the old man in my group at 22. Fred was three or four years my senior, and remembers the Russian tanks marching thru Germany very well, Yet Vietnam was just a rehash for him in many ways. Fred was the absolute best right hand man on the planet, and when I called for belts; Fred was on the way. He should have gotten the Silver Star several times in my book. Still Fred's heart was cold (very cold), and he would shoot you as look at you. Randy was a 19 year old kid at heart. He came to me as a lost puppy. I kicked his rear many times, and he really hardened. Problem with Randy was that he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with anykind of rifle. Give him a shotgun or the M79, and he was dangerous to the other guys out front. Never could figure that out. Kept trying to get me to write his sisters. 

As for books, Top was the one who should have written one. His Korean War experiences will turn your hair white! I'm convinced he's the only reason I'm still here. Top was hand picked for the position by a General, and I watched the General personally relieve the First Sargent and put him in his place after I had a very bad event out on an LP. He scared me to death on his first day, and thought this was going to be a very long year with him. Turned out different of course. That would have been around the third week of Tet in 68. I had a Tet do over in 1969. That old boy was tough. Not as tough as Bennie, or Vinnie, but still hard as nails

gary

On 3/3/2021 at 10:58 AM, Cajun21 said:

Gary,

And Cambodia also, but we weren't their remember? I had to eject over Laos just south of the NV boarder, fortunately pick up was fairly timely. The brown anchor tanker track covered that area. If you were ever able to listen to a "broken arrow" (US ground troops in trouble) call they definitely had the entire US inventory gathering in one spot. At one time we were in a wagon wheel of a/c that started at 7,000 feet and went up to 37,000 feet. Those and CAS were the most satisfying  missions to do.

Cheers :cheers:

Itch

we had this guy come out once or twice a week with armed guards and a manila envelope full of photos in an Air America plane. He's kinda famous in the covert world these days. He had ZZY-Flash photos for folks to look at and plan on. They were the "for your eyes only type". You guys probably got to look at them as well. Turned out they were from U-2's and SR71's so they claimed. Then there were the senor graphs from the otherside of the fence. I remember seeing spent shell cases and small boxes laying around. They were a good look see to what was going to happen in a week or two. We'd have maps and he would place the locations on the maps. 

gary

On 2/28/2021 at 4:08 PM, K5054NZ said:

Which reminds me, I'm overdue flogging a dead horse: what's the best 1/72 kit to represent this A-10C? I'm optimistically thinking decals won't be far off...

Italeri, second best Academy (a copy of Hasegawa with engraved panel lines).

Hobby Boss only for the two seater.

21 hours ago, hemspilot said:

I have the HB, and something just does not look right from the canopy to the tail area. Looks anemic to me, but I could also be wrong

gary

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/7/2021 at 12:12 PM, hemspilot said:

Thank you, that’s very much appreciated!