Removing Chrome

Oven cleaner works well,  as well as bleach, so does purple degreaser, sold under the names "purple power" or "super clean"  If there is an undercoat under the chrome, which will look like a clear or yellowish layer, you can use isopropyl alcohol to soften it, and then work with a toothpick to  peel and remove the undercoat.  If this is a Salvino JR model kit with the super tough plating, then it is much harder to remove. 

Hope it helps.

• 1 year later...

You will need a ferric chloride solution to effectively remove chromium from plastic parts. Before using the ferric chloride solution, it should be heated to 140-176 degrees Fahrenheit. Heating the solution will speed up the pickling process; about half the time, it will remove the chrome from the plastic surface of the part. Buying new parts will be more expensive than buying chloride iron. This rule of thumb works everywhere; I recently had a broken refrigerator. I thought about buying a new one, but my friend advised me to contact musiccityappliance.services, and I have not regretted it. These guys are real professionals; thanks to them, my refrigerator now works like new.

Edited by AmoryDonawa