Aussie Womens Bobsled Diorama

Our youngest works for the Australian Olympic Committee.  In 2016 she covered the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang (South Korea).

Controversially, our women's 2-person bobsled team (Jana Pittman and Astrid Radjenovic) did not get selected to attend by the Australian Sliding Sports Assoc. even though the AOC chose them to go.

So I'm building her a 'what if they did go' diorama to go on her desk at work.

.Georgie1.thumb.jpg.fef0c64b398dc269a320f00783be5b42.jpg

AusWomensSleigh3.jpg.19aef8cf55ae1e4b8e039520638ad25d.jpg

Edited by Thommo
  • 2 weeks later...

Building your own kid in 1/35 scale 😄.  I had to inform her that her head fell off last night while sanding the beanie.  She said that was a normal occurrence for her.

I've decided to scratch up a TV camera to add to the scene as well, maybe with a fibre optic light somewhere as I've bought some fibre optic tubing to play with.

Georgie1.jpg

Georgie2.jpg

Georgie3.jpg

Georgie4.jpg

Georgie5.jpg

Georgie6.jpg

Georgie7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Got our girl done and scratch-built a TV camera.

Now waiting for a work colleague to cut me some masks for the sled on her Cricut machine.  Bought some artists frisket for her to try through the machine - not cheap stuff!

GeorgieFinished2.thumb.jpg.e581011e01ecc1813a810dab9ee2a152.jpg

GeorgieFinished1.thumb.jpg.6bd342d1cbdda65a9217d74d36ccd490.jpg

CameraFinished.thumb.jpg.b24c8ccc35e0b5c4c0f65dbafafeae16.jpg

Edited by Thommo
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments folks.  Our daughter loves it, just got to get it to her in Sydney in one piece now 😬

BTW can you hear the music in the build video in other countries or did it get muted?

On 3/16/2021 at 6:26 PM, Thommo said:

Building your own kid in 1/35 scale 😄.  I had to inform her that her head fell off last night while sanding the beanie.  She said that was a normal occurrence for her.

Only in the world of scale model building! Hehehe!

Finished diorama looks grand.

3 hours ago, southwestforests said:

Dunno if it is the same thing but I heard something about zombies having breakfast with strange women.

That's it - the real Australian National Anthem!

• 1 month later...

Thommo, that's some sick scratchbuilding!  : )    Your daughter's face on the figure -- is that sculpted as well?   I kept scrolling back to the actual photo and I'm really amazed by your sculpting and painting skills -- the resemblance is really there, haha.    Let me tag a couple guys, they'll love this for sure.  Hi Bill, Pete @niart17, @K2Pete , you gotta see this : )