F-14D Control Surfaces

Hi All,

I must confess to feeling very stupid, but I have searched everywhere, and not found what I was looking for, though I would have thought my question would be easily addressed.  I have the AMK F-14D kit, and would like to model the plane with all the control surfaces deployed/extended.  As I recall, the only time that this would be the case would be immediately prior to landing on a carrier.  The surfaces I'm thinking about are the flaps, air brakes, slats, and the tail hook dropped, and with the wings full forward.  What other surfaces are on the F-14D (and on the AMK kit) that I haven't mentioned?  Help, please!!

Edited by Curt B
6 hours ago, tomthegrom said:

Does amk model the spoilers? The pilot could deploy these using direct lift control to help with glide slope corrections so they could be deployed.  Not 100% sure but I think it was only the inner spoilers.

Yep inner spoilers in the half open position was normal being more open if high on the ball and more closed if low.

And yes speedbrakes open as well. 

Thanks to all who answered my questions!  It's very clear that AMK models the flaps, slats and air brakes, and it's not crystal clear, but it looks like the spoilers are also included, which the immediately above post seems to confirm.  From what I can tell, it looks like there is a single part that models the spoilers (parts B21 and B22), but it also looks like there are indentations to indicate that there are 3 individual spoiler sections.  In the photo that Red Dog posted (THANK YOU, that answered a LOT of my questions right there!), it looks like only the inner of the 3 spoiler sections is deployed, but I'm guessing you can cut the 3 spoiler sections apart.  The inner spoiler on the model has the notch that shows on the photo, but interestingly, the photo also looks like that inner spoiler has another demarcation, or possible separate section, about midway on the spoiler surface.  Maybe that is just a wear mark, but it looks like it is present on both the left and right inner spoiler sections.  Now the question is whether the AMK wing can accommodate displaying the spoilers (any of the 3 sections) deployed, without having to do too much modification to the plastic.  Does anyone know whether the spoiler sections deployed automatically, and under what conditions (could the pilot deploy all 3 sections, or only the inner one, and did that override any auto function)?  Again, the immediately above post states that the inner spoiler (at least) could be actuated manually. 

It turns out that I found a video (below) that shows a complete build of a very nicely done AMK F-14D and clearly shows that all the control surfaces, including the spoilers, which I was most concerned about, can be shown deployed, separately if so desired.  I'm thrilled that I'll be able to show my Tomcat in the way that I really want to!

Edited by Curt B

There is no modification to do.
AMK Spoilers can be opened or closed very easily. They come as 3 parts per wing. The inner one is longer and one piece and then you have the two smaller ones

I'm currently building one for the Group build of this forum (join us) and I intend to do it at the flight control checks on the cat.

One wing has spoiler deployed, the other not:

SbS_F14_073_GB_wing.png 

6 hours ago, Red Dog said:

There is no modification to do.
AMK Spoilers can be opened or closed very easily. They come as 3 parts per wing. The inner one is longer and one piece and then you have the two smaller ones

I'm currently building one for the Group build of this forum (join us) and I intend to do it at the flight control checks on the cat.

One wing has spoiler deployed, the other not:

SbS_F14_073_GB_wing.png 

Hi Red Dog,

Please post pictures as you continue on with your build!  If you're doing your Tomcat on the catapault, is the plane kneeling at that point?  I'm thinking that that kneeling happens just before the shot itself, and that the control surface verification happens prior to the aircraft kneeling.  Is that accurate?

I'd like to consider joining the group build.

Edited by Curt B

The group build is accessible on the forum list, have a look.

We all kinda post a Work in progress: here's mine:

Victory 105 - VF103 F-14B (from AMK F-14D) 1/48 - F-14 Group Build - ARC Discussion Forums (arcforums.com)

AMK also provides the compressed nose gear with the lowered catapult bar and the hold back. The kneeling happens when the launch bar is lowered to be connected to the catapult.

17 hours ago, Curt B said:

Hi Red Dog,

Please post pictures as you continue on with your build!  If you're doing your Tomcat on the catapault, is the plane kneeling at that point?  I'm thinking that that kneeling happens just before the shot itself, and that the control surface verification happens prior to the aircraft kneeling.  Is that accurate?

I'd like to consider joining the group build.

Control surface verification happens after the aircraft is in kneel and hooked up to the catapult.

However, after the aircraft has been placed in kneel and while it is taxing to the shuttle the pilot will check to make sure the spoilers do pop up. The wings will be out and the flaps will be down so you can do a plane that is in kneel with everything (except the speedbrakes/tailhook) "down and dirty".

6 hours ago, GW8345 said:

Control surface verification happens after the aircraft is in kneel and hooked up to the catapult.

However, after the aircraft has been placed in kneel and while it is taxing to the shuttle the pilot will check to make sure the spoilers do pop up. The wings will be out and the flaps will be down so you can do a plane that is in kneel with everything (except the speedbrakes/tailhook) "down and dirty".

HHHmmmmmm....I like that potential option!  Thanks for the ideas!