FROG Spitfire/V-1......

Thought some of you might enjoy this olde plastic.

I'm sure most of you have seen or built this kit from 1967 or so.

Screen_Shot_2021-02-28_at_4.32.44_PM(1).

Mine came to me in a baggy missing the stand and with 2 sets of unusable decals.

spit02.jpeg

Although much maligned for being inaccurate, it really is not that far off from drawings or even the later more expensive offerings.

spit1.jpeg

I wanted to recreate this moment when F/O Collier became the first known pilot to down a V-1 Buzz bomb by tipping it over using his own wing.

Screen_Shot_2020_10_06_at_10.23.18_AM.pn
Screen_Shot_2020_10_06_at_10.17.40_AM.pn
Screen_Shot_2020_10_06_at_10.16.53_AM.pn

I had no base with the kit so came up with my own. I roughed in the positions of the two a/c and then finished them up. I have no access to an airbrush so the spitfire was done with spray bomb. The V-1 did get airbrushed during a brief couple of hours in Connecticut.

spit5(1).jpeg

spt4.jpeg

helspit2.jpeg

I inked in the panel lines on both a/c with a fine pen. I added a pilot from the Revell set, cut and turned his head, sanded and reshaped the nasty FROG canopy and vac-formed my own. All markings are from aftermarket generic sheets of roundels and RAF code letters. The serial numbers are press-type on clear decal. I thought about staining the wood base but decided not to. I printed a photo of the English countryside from the web and spray mounted that down instead.

sv2.jpeg

wing1.jpeg

f3.jpeg

f2.jpeg

sv20.jpeg

sv13.jpeg

The flame I made from clear stretched sprue painted in different colors.

f4.jpeg

f1.jpeg

I'm pleased with how this turned out and glad I didn't have a base with the kit. There is still much life to be had in old kits.

Edited by Allan31