Flying Tigers

To help you find where to look....

The Flying tigers P-40's were sent over to Claire Chennault in 1941. These a/c were actually a/c that were supposed to be shipped to the UK as part of our lend/lease program but were diverted at the last moment.

The a/c were painted here in the states following strict RAF protocols. As such, they match color wise, all the Spitfires flying in the dark earth/dark green scheme. The painters in the USA even left areas were the British roundels were to be added in the UK. The China markings were smaller and in a different position.

1-Hawk-81A-2-23FG3PS-W77-Smith-China-194

post-2-1119240148.jpg

It will be much easier finding the RAF colors you need. You may even adapt the Spitfire color pattern to the P-40's.

1-Hawk-81A-23FG3PS-W68-P-8109-Older-1942

The Flying Tigeres were painted RAF light Grey on the bottom.

FlyingTigersLogo.jpg

Sorry I don't know the exact Tamiya colors for the RAF. Hope this helps....

Edited by Allan31

Don't know what the Tamiya colors are but the following information might be helpful.

The AVG P-40's were finished in Dark Earth/Dark Green over Sky Grey Temporate Scheme.

The colors were RAF colors - Dark Earth 71-065 or 71-009, Dark Green 71-013 and Sky Grey 71-021.

IAW Warplane Color Gallery #1 - Flying Tigers Colors by Carl Molesworth.

I just got done doing a Monogram P-40B as an AVG and I used the following colors (all Model Master)

FS 30117 - Military Brown

FS 34092 - Euro Dark Green

FS 36622 - Camouflage Gray

Going by the colors provided in the above book they are extremely close.

hth

1 hour ago, F-16 said:

To my eye, it looks like those colors have a hard demarcation to them, not a feathered edge...?

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

Correct, Curtiss used rubber masks when they painted the aircraft so all edges would be hard edges.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently working on the Airfix P-40 as a Flying Tiger.  I found this article on the interweb some time ago.  It gets fairly deep in the weeds regarding colors painted by DuPont for aircraft that were to be shipped to the RAF.  Towards the end is a table with suggestions of paint colors by various manufactures, including Tamiya.

http://www.ratomodeling.com.br/articles/AVG_cammo/