- GBU-12

- GBU-38/54

- GBU-31

- GBU-39 SDB

A2A:  

- AIM-120B/C
- AIM-9M
- AIM-9X

As they come in numerous configurations it's not possible to say what stations carried which as this would be mission specific most likely. 

7 hours ago, Niels said:

From what I have gathered it is a mix of 

A2G: 

- GBU-12

- GBU-38/54

- GBU-31

- GBU-39 SDB

A2A:  

- AIM-120B/C
- AIM-9M
- AIM-9X

As they come in numerous configurations it's not possible to say what stations carried which as this would be mission specific most likely. 

A2A will have one AIM-9X and one AIM-9M, vice one or the other.

2 hours ago, Da SWO said:

A2A will have one AIM-9X and one AIM-9M, vice one or the other.

F-16CM's from the 77FS 20FW has been seen during last trip to the sandbox carrying one of each. Not an F-15E, I know, but it happens. 

By the way Maurizio at videoaviation in Italy makes some great GBU 54s, mk 83, mk 82s mk 20s ect.  He has some great 1/32 scale resin bombs in both USAF and USN.  If you haven't seen his stuff, check out videoaviation.  All his bombs come with decals and great prices.  Most sets are only 10 euros a pack of either 8 or 4 bomb units depending on their size.  Also quick postage

USAF F-15E are only cleared to carry 3 off GBU-38/54 on each CFT.

Usually they carry 4xGBU-12 on one side (2 front and 2 aft stations, nothing on middle station) and 3xGBU-38/54 on the other, with GBU-39 on centerline. 

They have also been seen to carry 5 to 7 GBU-31 with 2 on each CFT, one centerline and if tanks are not carried then one under each wing aswell.  

Or 3xGBU-38/54 on each CFT, with GBU-39 or -31 on centerline. 

Try checking out recent videos of deployed F-15E's. There is a good video of the 494FS 48FW during recent deployment showing many of the most recently used loadouts. 

Thanks Niels. 

I bought the two bobs "maximum effort eagles" decal set.  It lists the loadout as 6 GBU 54s on the CFTs, 1 GBU 31 on the centerline and 2 wing tanks with A2A as 2 AIM 120Cs and 2 AIM 9Xs.  That's where I got that loadout from.

Sounds correct, just remember it would be 3xGBU-54 on each side. For some odd reason the USAF F-15E's can only carry three aside while ie the Saudi F-15SA's can carry 6 aside? But that hopefully changes in the future going by this article; F-15E Strike Eagles May Have Yet Another Role: Smart Bomb Transporter (thedrive.com) 😉 

Exactly because of the guiding. Mk82's are "dumb", while GBU38/54 must, can and may be updated with target details during flight and pre-release. They are not programmed prior to aircraft launch. Hence I can only assume that the interface between the brain of the GBU unit and the aircraft is the obstacle. 

That said, it is your model and you can do what you want with it. 

Edited by Niels

No, as you need to transfer the target data from the pod to the bomb, and that you can only do with through the Mil-bus interface. Otherwise you wouldn't need the upgrade kit to make any Mk82/83/84 into a smart bomb 😉

Right ok.  I'm not very good at IT but I understand what you are saying.  So is it the case of the pod not being able to communicate to more than 3 pet side at the same time?  Why would the Saudis be able to carry 6 per side and the USAF only 3 per side?  Are the Saudis using the same pods and software?

To add some clarity here- it has nothing to do with pods, but everything to do with the hardware in the stations.  The bottom CFT stations (1-3), wing and centerline stations(2/5/8) have 1760 transfer buses and are “smart” pylons that can carry JDAM class munitions - the shoulder stations (4-6) didn’t receive the upgrade but pretty much every F-15 variant after the E is wired that way.   If you look at a JDAM, besides the bomb lugs, there is a cylindrical plug on the aft top of the bomb body.   That connects to the transfer bus within the “smart” BRU.   As to why the USAF E’s aren’t upgraded to enable smart weapons carriage on every station?   Money.   

Hope it clears things up a bit.   

Steve

Edited by Falconxlvi
1 hour ago, Falconxlvi said:

To add some clarity here- it has nothing to do with pods, but everything to do with the hardware in the stations.  The bottom CFT stations (1-3), wing and centerline stations(2/5/8) have 1760 transfer buses and are “smart” pylons that can carry JDAM class munitions - the shoulder stations (4-6) didn’t receive the upgrade but pretty much every F-15 variant after the E is wired that way.   If you look at a JDAM, besides the bomb lugs, there is a cylindrical plug on the aft top of the bomb body.   That connects to the transfer bus within the “smart” BRU.   As to why the USAF E’s aren’t upgraded to enable smart weapons carriage on every station?   Money.   

Hope it clears things up a bit.   

Steve

I wonder if the new F-15EX will have all of the stations with the 1760 transfer bus. 

1760 is the bus (network) the entire plane talks over.  When I worked on F-16s it was all 1553 and if I understand 1760 is basically 1553 plus the packet data to support smart munitions.

The 1553 & 1760 node networks are basically what the CANBUS system is modeled after.  A lot of the cars nowadays are running CANBUS.

1 hour ago, Modelkeenfan said:

Thanks Steve.  Now I understand.  So this is the connection the WSO uses to transfer the target data to the bomb?

Correct 👍🏻
from the Smart Weapons page, coordinates can be transferred  into the JDAM from a target pod or radar designation.  Or the coordinates can be manually entered via the UFC.  

Edited by Falconxlvi