Trumpeter 1/12 GT40 MKII

Haven't posted a build in a while, life and all. I'm sure you all understand. Here is one I'm working on currently. The Trumpeter 1/12 GT40 MKII and I'm doing it up in the Ken Miles Le Mans livery (yeah yeah, I watched the movie and it suckered me in. )🙂

It's a pretty good kit, maybe not as detailed as the new Meng offering but at less than half the cost I think it's good bones to add detail to. So far the parts I've needed to add were the starter motor, the distributer, spark plugs and wiring, replace the really crude alternator and dress up the horrible kit belt arrangement. I also removed and added better toggle switches in the cockpit and added various bolt heads etc. here and there wherever I felt it was obviously missing detail and am dressing up the adjustable petal assembly. Coming along but still a ways to go. 

Thanks for checking it out. Comments, critiques and suggestions are always welcome. 

Bill

GT40 Engine Frame small.jpg

GT40  body small.jpg

GT40 Monocoque small.jpg

GT40 Interior Small.jpg

Edited by niart17
17 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

I don't see any flower petals?

Took me a bit to catch what you were saying. Oh well, old eyes and spell check will get cha every time. Ok, no flowers, only pedals. 😁

• 2 months later...

Small update on this. I wasn't happy with some of the kit suspension parts so I 3D cad'd up some as I go. I started with the brake disks, hubs and axle assembly. I'll get some paint on this soon and hopefully have a better pic. 

20210602_160631.jpg

20210602_062042.jpg

Decals on doors and a mock up of the wheels in position. I've seen mixed photos where some make the rims appear to have a gold-ish tint to them and other simply seem to be a natural magnesium kind of color. For sure I'm going to be weathering this so it may not be as noticeable either way I go.

Such a cool looking car IMO. Just screams speed even sitting still. 

Thanks for checking it out....if anyone is checking it out that is. :tumble:

20210313_212715.jpg

Thanks Janman. Yes the box art is....well it's something. "U.S. Sports Car". Love the generic workaround to avoid licensing. LOL

The kit itself is decent. It's kind of strange as if there were different teams working on different parts of the kit and they didn't communicate among themselves. Some areas are really nicely detailed and build up beautifully and some areas just barely have a shape that's close to something. And then what's missing completely is perplexing. From the images and build ups I've seen of the Meng kit, if you can afford it I think it seems to be a much better starting point. But the Trumpeter kit has the overall shapes and basics down so it's not bad for the price I guess.

1 hour ago, niart17 said:

It's kind of strange as if there were different teams working on different parts of the kit and they didn't communicate among themselves. Some areas are really nicely detailed and build up beautifully and some areas just barely have a shape that's close to something. And then what's missing completely is perplexing. 

Oh, this sounds so familiar. Actually, this sounds just like Trumpeter! I've had the exact vibes with some of their aircraft kits. 

Not the best pics and it's just primer on them but here's where the parts stand now. I printed the spindle uprights along with the cooling shroud. And a period correct fire extinguisher. A quick test fit and think its a pretty decent improvement. 

20210610_205626.jpg

20210610_205605.jpg

20210610_205105.jpg