Anybody do their own PE?

Looking to try a bit of DIY etching, and I'm wondering if anyone has any comments regarding ferric chloride vs ammonium persulphate (or other etching solutions) for modelling purposes.  All the results I'm seeing are for etching copper PCBs, which is pretty different from what modellers need.

Also, any experience with laser printed masks vs. inkjet printed ones?  It looks like the inkjet printer transparencies are often a milky white, which I'd think might inhibit exposing the resist.  On the plus side, there's less chance of them melting inside my printer if I get the settings wrong...

Yes Ive made some of my own PE parts. Only small bits and bobs its not hard to do, It is very much along the same lines as making a PCB which ive also done (Bigclive on youtube has done a couple of interesting easy to follow guides).

I watched this a couple of years ago and gave it a go

Photo Etching at Home– Professional Tools for Modelers - YouTube

My results were every bit as 2 dimentional as his were but at the scale I was building it really didnt matter and was probably an advantage. 

Where youre in Canadia Im not really sure if you can get the Seno GS system, but any ferric chloride system designed for etching PCBs will do the job. Or just a bottle of the stuff in a tupawear tub will do.

Once you have that then watch that video I posted, it will give you the basics and the idea on what you need to do.

Some of the things I did were a wire grill mesh to go between the bars of a trucks bull bar and some door handles. the railings for a o gauge model train... just little things like that. You aint going to make the fancy dual level fold pe sets you get from eduard from a home system.