upcoming Airfix 1/48 Canadair Sabre--more details

https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/raf-sabre-a-stopgap-stunner

Call me underwhelmed, even disappointed;  from what I can see from the build photos, this is NOT better than the HasAcademy Sabres.   Yes, the nose landing gear has a proper curved shape instead of the angled mess of the Hasegawa or Academy versions, but, there are several disappointing features glaringly obvious.   The wing pylons are too far outboard for this version of Sabre, the speedbrake arms looking thin just as the 1/72 versions are, the wing fences appear to be massive 2x12 pieces of lumber, the visible seat/cockpit/under canopy  details seem chunky and Lego-like with the seat headrest being pure fiction;  and to top it off, Airfix has added the raised vent panel on the fuselage top that only was present on the F-86F.    That panel was absent from the earlier 3D renderings, I wonder why it was added when not needed.  I figure that it is another indication that a Norwegian F-86F is the next issue.   I may re-consider and cancel my pre-order, as  can find HaseAcademy Sabres on the market for cheaper than this release.

Cheers, Tony

What makes the situation more frustrating is that Airfix enlisted the help of a  Sabre Mk4 expert, then ultimately ignored him, his work, and advice.  They did do a 3D scan of a Sabre but of a Norwegian F-86F machine, similar in many respects but enough differences to be noticed.

Edited by Snowbird3a
16 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

sounds like it's no better than the ancient Monogram kit I've managed to hang onto way too long

gary

Well, I wouldn’t go that far, the Airfix kit’s shape is waaaaaaay more accurate than the Monogram’s

Tony

2 hours ago, Snowbird3a said:

Well, I wouldn’t go that far, the Airfix kit’s shape is waaaaaaay more accurate than the Monogram’s

Tony

you don't even have tape the old Monogram kit together to know it's no where near to being close! 

gary

2 hours ago, Charlie D. said:

Ok, I’ll bite, what’s wrong with the Monogram kit, other than its age?

the canopy frame is out-to-lunch horrible, landing gear is way too thin, gun bay is ill fitting, horizontal stabilizer shape is off; to add to previous comments

but nobody will mistake it for a Sopwith Camel

Tony

Edited by Snowbird3a
19 hours ago, Charlie D. said:

Ok, I’ll bite, what’s wrong with the Monogram kit, other than its age?

I thought the nose area just looked wrong as well as the blanked off intake. The wings look OK, but then again they don't. I can't understand how that kit can suck so badly when their F86d's were so nice. Yet to be honest with you, I have not looked inside the box for at least twenty four months. I just wanted to do two of those Sabers, and then move on. Jonnie Johnson's and Eric Hartman's were what I wanted to do. This is a subject that ZM or Tamiya needs to visit (even GWH or Kittyhawk). 

gary

16 hours ago, Snowbird3a said:

the canopy frame is out-to-lunch horrible, landing gear is way too thin, gun bay is ill fitting, horizontal stabilizer shape is off; to add to previous comments

but nobody will mistake it for a Sopwith Camel

Tony

I never realized the canopy frame was out of wack! Your right about the tail being sorta wierd looking, but never quite put my fingers on what the issue was

gary

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

Bear in mind that there must be 20 years or more between the Monogram F-86F and the F-86D. The latter is still one of their best.

Yup, 25 years actually, 1976 vs 2001. Why does my parents old beat up 1986 Camry suck so much compared to my brothers 2010 Camry? You can’t  really compare the two. Although when that Camry was new in 1986, it was pretty nice! 

Edited by Charlie D.
  • 1 month later...

Well, the box art is nice, and folks who received it have said on FB that the sprues seem structured to provide for different wing variants down the road, so who knows. I'm forever hoping for a narrow-chord slatted wing Korean War -A/E (or even a slatted 6-3 wing for the Sabre Mk.6) in the future.

Edited by sierrascale
On 3/9/2021 at 11:22 PM, Sabrejet said:

I'd go for thick wings; incorrectly-shaped drop-tanks, small intake and I think there is something not quite right about the windshield. However it's still not a bad kit, in my opinion. 

the intake is an absolute turn off for me. The wings never looked the part, but never could quite put my finger on the issue. The body after the canopy looks short and fat to me.

gary

On 3/10/2021 at 6:25 PM, Charlie D. said:

Yup, 25 years actually, 1976 vs 2001. Why does my parents old beat up 1986 Camry suck so much compared to my brothers 2010 Camry? You can’t  really compare the two. Although when that Camry was new in 1986, it was pretty nice! 

I agree 100% with you. I picked up the Canadair Saber thinking it was going to be similar to their F86d Promodeler kit! My butt still hurts! In the end, I may scrounge some pieces out of the kit and use it for a paint mule. For me anyway; the F86 was the most beautiful airframe ever built and I hate to see it butchered like that. 

gary