Roto's Viper: Academy 1/32 F-16C 421st FS

Hi everyone,

Some of you may remember an ARC'er named Sean Caywood from about 12 years back. I don't recall what his ARC handle was. Sean lived by me here in Utah and was into everything related to military aviation. He and I became fast friends and would spend hours in each others modeling rooms talking about planes and building. One day at work I got the call that Sean had passed suddenly at the young age of 34. It was the last thing that anyone expected.

After his death his mother gave me everything in his model room. It was around that time that I was contacted by Capt. Langdon "Roto" Root. He was an F-16 pilot with the 421st FS stationed at nearby Hill AFB who had become friends with Sean. At the time of his death Sean was working on building Roto's jet in 32nd scale. It was one of the partially built kits that I inherited. I promised Roto that I would finish it for him as a tribute to our mutual friend, and a thank you to him for his service. 

Long story short, the build dragged out far longer than I expected largely due to work and family commitments, but also a bit of lack of interest on my part..... I've just never been good about building models for others. I eventually passed the project along to another club member who likes to build big kits, and he promised that he'd get it done. The last time that I talked to him a few years back he was doing the decals on it. I gave him Roto's contact info and washed my hands of the project. Fast forward several years...... I recently got an email from Roto asking about the project. He had never heard anything from the other guy, and was wondering how the build was coming as he is getting close to retiring. Needless to say I felt like a real jerk for dropping the ball on this! 

SO.... having an Academy 32nd F-16C Block 40 in my stash, I promised Roto that I would start over! So that's what this build thread will be: F-16C 89-115 of the 421st FS. It is going to largely be an out of box build, but I will be using some Reskit BRU's and GBU-38s, and some Crossdelta airframe stiffing plates. The decals are from Afterburner and were kindly donated by ARC's own Falcon053. Thanks Duane! 

I do need some custom decals done up for the pilot's and crew chiefs names. If anyone is willing to do them for cash, or donate them to a good cause, I would be most grateful! I have pics. Thanks and enjoy the build! Fred.

Pic 1) Roto and Sean

Pic 2) Roto's jet

Pic 3) The starting point

rsz_1rsz_img_0353.jpg

rsz_1rsz_img_0362.jpg

rsz_1rsz_1dscn1647.jpg

That sucks that the first build didn't work out, one way or another that guy should have got back to you.

Cudo's to you for stepping up to the plate to give "ROTO" his retirement gift and, to pay tribute to your friend. I'm sure you'll do the jet justice and I for one will be following along.

Steve

• 2 months later...

Well I've finally gotten a very long term build finished, and am now concentrating on this build. I got the intake sanded out and painted, and hope to have it in the lower fuselage half tomorrow. Roto requested that I leave the gun bay open, so I've finished that up as well. I also got the cockpit tub finished and in. I hope to seal up the fuselage halves sometime this week. She's getting there! Fred K.

rsz_1rsz_20210516_003130.jpg

58 minutes ago, ST0RM said:

A very worthy project Fred. Despite the time and set backs, I know you'll do it right. 

-Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Much appreciated ;0) Fred.

6 hours ago, Gator52 said:

Looking good; did you get the custom decals sourced?

Chris

Hi Chris,

Not yet. I thought that I had a source lined up, but he can't print gunship gray decals. I was just about to post a request this evening. Do you know anyone? Thanks, Fred.

Hi Everyone,

Over the last week I've been able to get a number of things done on this build. Here's where its at now. I must say that I'm a bit surprised at the fit of this kit.... it really isn't that great. It's not bad or anything, but from such a newer kit I expected that the fit would be much better. Pretty much everything requires filling, sanding, and rescribing. I've built Academy's 32nd Hornet, and it fit much better than this Viper. Until next week...! Fred.

rsz_11rsz_220210521_215515.jpg

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, ST0RM said:

Any progress, Fred?

Not in awhile. Summertime is here and its musky fishing season, so all of my efforts have been going into that. This year especially since our reservoir levels are so low here in Utah that I probably won't even be able to get my boat on the water in another few weeks. Then I'll likely get going on building again. Usually in June through September, I seldom touch a model. Thanks for checking in though ;0) Fred.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

Well musky fishing season is just about over and I've started to get back to building again. My biggest priority this winter is to finish off this build. To that end, I recently got the wings and tail on on. I also got the nose cone on, but had to put a plastic spacer between the cone and fuselage as there was a very large step between the two. Has anyone else had this issue or is it me? My next task will be to rescribe lost panel lines and rivets. I have also started cleaning up the weapons and fuel tanks. I hope to have it ready for paint before too long, but it largely depends on how much I have to work though. Working 12 hours a day and commuting for 1 1/2 more doesn't leave a lot of time 😕

rsz_1rsz_20211010_002433.jpg

4 hours ago, ST0RM said:

Went through my OIF/OEF in flight combat photos, hoping I'd have one of -115. Sadly not. But happy to see the project back on the bench. 

Thanks for looking in your photo stash! I'll be glad to get this one done and present it to Roto 👍 Fred.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Another update guys....   The weapons are largely done now. They just need to have to decals put on, then flat coated. Today I got the base color scheme down on the jet itself. I need to go back and touch it up, but the base is there anyway. I'm hoping to have her done within a month or so. We'll see.... Fred.

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_120220213_123818.jpg

On 2/15/2022 at 5:06 AM, 11bee said:

Fantastic work for a great cause.   Where did you get the decals from?

Hi 11bee,

I'm not sure what happened to my original reply to you that I posted shortly after your post. It was there briefly, the disappeared. 😧 I got the decals from ARC's own Falcon053. He was kind enough to donate them for the project. One of many stand up guys that have helped with this project! Fred.

The first decals are on! I had to do some cut and paste with the serial number decals to get the right serial on the tail, but thankfully all of the numbers that I needed were on the sheet. I should have the decals done this weekend, then will start with the weapons. The end is in sight 👍

rsz_1rsz_20220220_004612.jpg

Edited by f5guy