Roto's Viper: Academy 1/32 F-16C 421st FS

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got the weapons done today. All are from the kit except the BRU and GBU-38's, which are from Reskit. I'm weathering the aircraft now, and hope to have it flat coated by this weekend. Once that's done the rest should go quickly (he said with optimism!)

In the upper right corner is my next 32nd scale project 😉  Thanks for looking, Fred.

rsz_20220308_175501.jpg

Edited by f5guy
13 hours ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Looking good Fred.

Steve

The finish line is in sight! I'm sure that I'll feel like you did when you finished those two awesome Hoovers...... happy and relieved! Take care, Fred.

Got some work done today, including flat coating and getting some parts on. I'm hoping to have it done next weekend, but we'll see......  Thanks for looking! Fred.

rsz_120220312_233533.jpg

rsz_120220312_233415.jpg

Well, she's done! Overall I'm pretty happy with it, other than some spots on the canopy from fuzzies or something in the Future. She now sits safely in one of my display cases until Roto and I can hook up.

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to post comments and encourage me to get it done. A big thanks also goes out to Falcon053 for donating the decals, Chris for getting the custom pilots name decals done up, and also Jake Melampy for his outstanding Viper book, all of which were instrumental to this build! And one last round of kudo's, and I know this is goofy, but a big thanks to the hard rock band Clutch, and shred guitarist extraordinaire, Buckethead, for keeping my modeling room rocking during this year long build. I've been hardly listening to anything else 🤣 Fred.

rsz_20220319_172852.jpg

rsz_20220319_172923.jpg

rsz_20220319_172917.jpg

rsz_20220319_172901.jpg

rsz_20220319_172930.jpg

rsz_20220319_172954.jpg

Edited by f5guy

That's a sweet job! I'm sure Roto will be very happy. I have that kit in my stash, and I hope I can do as good a job. I'm also looking forward to seeing your Tamiya Eagle.

ALF

3 hours ago, ALF18 said:

That's a sweet job! I'm sure Roto will be very happy. I have that kit in my stash, and I hope I can do as good a job. I'm also looking forward to seeing your Tamiya Eagle.

ALF

Thanks ALF! It might be awhile before the Eagle takes flight, but hopefully I'll be as happy with it as I am with the Viper. Take care  ;0) Fred.

Edited by f5guy
1 hour ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Very nice Fred, Roto's gonna love it. Kudos to you for stepping in and getting the job accomplished for him.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I sent Roto some pics of it yesterday, and he was stoked! He currently just became the Vice Wing Commander of a unit back east, but will be traveling out west later this year, so we're going to hook up then. Thanks for all of the kind words! Fred.

G'day Fred,

That has turned out very nicely. I aways thought that the exposed part of the engine immediately behind the fuselage 'doughnut'  was a black colour on GE birds, yours is a sivery grey colour?

cheers,

Pappy

2 hours ago, Pappy121 said:

G'day Fred,

That has turned out very nicely. I aways thought that the exposed part of the engine immediately behind the fuselage 'doughnut'  was a black colour on GE birds, yours is a sivery grey colour?

cheers,

Pappy

Hi Pappy,

Regarding the engine.... I went with what my reference pics were showing. There seems to be a lot of variations from what I saw. Take care, Fred.

2 hours ago, Gator52 said:

Looks great Fred; get a photo of the presentation to Roto for us!

Chris

We plan on hooking up at one of local breweries for dinner and beers, so I will be sure to get some pics and post them here. Thanks again for your help Chris ;0) Fred.

8 hours ago, habu2 said:

The "doughnut" on GE engined birds is a carbon fiber weave.

I see what you're talking about, but after looking in Jake's F-16 book, which was my main reference, there's a bunch of Vipers in there with the "doughnut" in silver too, so who knows.... It is what it is at this point. Fred.

44 minutes ago, f5guy said:

I see what you're talking about, but after looking in Jake's F-16 book, which was my main reference, there's a bunch of Vipers in there with the "doughnut" in silver too, so who knows.... It is what it is at this point. Fred.

G'day Fred, I don't suggest correcting it now, you have made a stunning job and I am sure that Roto will be very happy with it and probably won't even notice.

On page one, in the second picture that shows the intake (with a cover installed) the ram inlets above the intake itself are angled forwards.

This is a recognition feature for the GE engined /MCID ("Big Mouth") inlet  combination which use the CF weave doughnut as HABU correctly pointed out, if anyone knows he should! The PW engine/NSI inlet uses the metallic doughnut combination.

F-16s are a little like Me/Bf-109s in that they have lots of little tweaks and updates and it can be daunting to get these correct as there lots of variation due to different users and block level upgrades, even with a reference book.  I am not posting this to pick holes in your kit, as I said, it looks fantastic, just to help others who may be in a similar situation

cheers,

Pappy

5 hours ago, Pappy121 said:

G'day Fred, I don't suggest correcting it now, you have made a stunning job and I am sure that Roto will be very happy with it and probably won't even notice.

On page one, in the second picture that shows the intake (with a cover installed) the ram inlets above the intake itself are angled forwards.

This is a recognition feature for the GE engined /MCID ("Big Mouth") inlet  combination which use the CF weave doughnut as HABU correctly pointed out, if anyone knows he should! The PW engine/NSI inlet uses the metallic doughnut combination.

F-16s are a little like Me/Bf-109s in that they have lots of little tweaks and updates and it can be daunting to get these correct as there lots of variation due to different users and block level upgrades, even with a reference book.  I am not posting this to pick holes in your kit, as I said, it looks fantastic, just to help others who may be in a similar situation

cheers,

Pappy

Ahhh..... one of those things that I missed. It all makes sense now 😆 Noted for future reference! Thanks, Fred.