Roto's Viper: Academy 1/32 F-16C 421st FS

On 3/24/2022 at 8:51 PM, Pappy121 said:

G'day Fred, I don't suggest correcting it now, you have made a stunning job and I am sure that Roto will be very happy with it and probably won't even notice.

On page one, in the second picture that shows the intake (with a cover installed) the ram inlets above the intake itself are angled forwards.

This is a recognition feature for the GE engined /MCID ("Big Mouth") inlet  combination which use the CF weave doughnut as HABU correctly pointed out, if anyone knows he should! The PW engine/NSI inlet uses the metallic doughnut combination.

F-16s are a little like Me/Bf-109s in that they have lots of little tweaks and updates and it can be daunting to get these correct as there lots of variation due to different users and block level upgrades, even with a reference book.  I am not posting this to pick holes in your kit, as I said, it looks fantastic, just to help others who may be in a similar situation

cheers,

Pappy

I agree that this is a beautiful model.

I'm intrigued by your comment on how to distinguish the different engines. Are you talking about the tiny inlet by the blue arrow? From your text it seems that what you mean. It's not the larger one by the red arrow, is it?

image.png.7f6256552499941a7cf69c5f9f8375b7.png

ALF

The reason I ask is that I may try to do these for my big F-16 model. They are guys we flew against on a detachment to Gulfport, Mississippi in early December 1995.

image.thumb.png.75a111e217873dfb66a9bb8c4cee5f8d.png

It looks to me like dark rings just before the nozzles, so GE engines? I am NOT an F-16 expert, but with guys like Habu and Pappy around I know I'll get good info.

ALF

48 minutes ago, ALF18 said:

I agree that this is a beautiful model.

I'm intrigued by your comment on how to distinguish the different engines. Are you talking about the tiny inlet by the blue arrow? From your text it seems that what you mean. It's not the larger one by the red arrow, is it?

image.png.7f6256552499941a7cf69c5f9f8375b7.png

ALF

Neither.  The ram air inlet is the vertical slot just down and to the right of the blue arrow.  It’s the gap between the splitter on top of the intake and the underside of the fuselage aft of the splitter.

The blue arrow, these are ECS inlets on either side of the intake splitter. I don’t know the reason for slanting them but it is a sure fire way to visually identify the MCID (big mouth) inlet from the side. Know that early Block 30 jets with the GE engine were built with the NSI (small mouth) inlet so non-slanted ECS inlets don’t always mean it’s a P&W engine jet. 

Edited by habu2

G'day ALF,

Yup, what they said.

The time difference involved in being on the other side of the planet does not always allow for a prompt answer

I didn't know about the early BLK 30/GE birds, thanks H2, I Iearnt something new!

cheers

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121
8 hours ago, ALF18 said:

The reason I ask is that I may try to do these for my big F-16 model. They are guys we flew against on a detachment to Gulfport, Mississippi in early December 1995.

image.thumb.png.75a111e217873dfb66a9bb8c4cee5f8d.png

It looks to me like dark rings just before the nozzles, so GE engines? I am NOT an F-16 expert, but with guys like Habu and Pappy around I know I'll get good info.

ALF

Yup GE engines.

In this instance the tail feathers are visible. and they have a different shape to the PW engine which are narrower and closer (but not always) to steel colour while the GE engine has a more golden hue and the exhaust petals are wider, plus as you correctly state, the doughnut is black,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy121