Old Academy F-16C kit #12259

Can anybody tell me somethings about the old Academy F-16C kit.

I would like to build it as a night falcon with some lantirn pods. I know they dont come in the kit but was this version of the jet able to carry them?
What wings flew the jet back the the early to mid 90s?
Can I use it as a 52 TFW jet with SP tail codes?

Anything you can tell me would be much appreciated. 

This kit?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/academy-12259-f-16a-c-fighting-falcon--231676

It basically builds into just a Block 25/32.  Only has the PW engine, lightweight gear, and no landing lights relocated to the nose gear door.  Generally, the pod carrying aircraft were Block 40 and above as they had the strengthen gear and relocated landing lights.

I have an earlier boxing (12204) and, if they haven't changed it, you can also build a Block 15 A-model as the kit includes both A & C model vertical tails.

edit: looking at the scanned instructions on the scalemates link it looks like both A & C tail bases are still included.

Edited by habu2

Initially "Night Falcon" was Block 40/42 only.  Later Block 30/32 was updated to carry LANTIRN pods but not the raster WAR HUD.

Block 40/42 had the bulged main gear doors, the Academy kit doesn't have those. You could do a Block 32 / LANTIRN jet, you'd have to search for pics if you want accurate markings.

Also, there are a lot of similarities between the Academy and Hasegawa kits. An aftermarket GE engine and big mouth inlet designed for Hasegawa will fit the Academy kit.  Or you could just ask around for spare Hasegawa parts to upgrade Academy to a Block 40/42.

12 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

This kit?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/academy-12259-f-16a-c-fighting-falcon--231676

It basically builds into just a Block 25/32.  Only has the PW engine, lightweight gear, and no landing lights relocated to the nose gear door.  Generally, the pod carrying aircraft were Block 40 and above as they had the strengthen gear and relocated landing lights.

Thats the one )))

5 hours ago, habu2 said:

I have an earlier boxing (12204) and, if they haven't changed it, you can also build a Block 15 A-model as the kit includes both A & C model vertical tails.

edit: looking at the scanned instructions on the scalemates link it looks like both A & C tail bases are still included.

Ill be honest, I havent got the first clue what you guys are talking about at all.

Astra decals did some markings for the SP tail coded jets. Can I use that model with those decals?

I think Ive got a Hasegawa F-16C too but its got HARM and a little pod for the intake with it so I think thats much later than I want to model as I want the bomb truck for the SP F-4G Wild Weasels (when ZM releases an F-4G)

From what I have read online, Blocks 25/30/32 were primarily flown by the Reserves and Guard units after after they were replaced by Blocks 40/42/50/52 in the Active units. There was an upgrade program called CUPID (Combat Upgrade Plan Integration Details) that added capabilities to Blocks 25/30/32, one of which was the capability to carry the LANTIRN AN/AAQ-14 TGP (Targeting Pod) - but not the AN/AAQ-13 LANTIRN NAV (Navigation Pod). So to use the Academy kit OOB you would be looking for markings for Reserve or Guard units that operated Block 25 or 32 (P&W engine and small mouth inlet) jets.

Found this pic of a Block 30 (GE engine, big mouth inlet) with the 158 FW carrying either a LANTIRN or LITENING TGP, not sure which.

F-16-Santa-Hat.jpg

Jake Melampy's book "The Viper Story, Part 1: F-16s of the Air National Guard" has several photos of Block 25 & 32 jets carrying a LANTIRN TGP.  Maybe he will chime in and post some pics.

For your timescale in pairing up with a F-4G from the 52nd we’re looking around the late 80’s, and the F-16 would’ve been a Block 30B jet. Now these F-16’s had the General Electric engine and the smaller NSI (Normal Stock Intake) jet intake. Both of these are to be found in some of the Hasegawa kits and from the description that yours has AGM-88’s HARM’s in it, makes me believe that your kit is one of them.(The kit will have two different types of intake and exhausts).

The sure way of telling is the Fiscal year in the serial number. If the decals are for a 85 a/c then the above applies, however I have a feeling that the Astra decals are for later F-16 Block 50 jets with Fiscal years of 1990 and later. I’m not sure if the Blk 50 jets paired up with the F-4G, but if they did the timeline is very narrow as the last F-4G’s left the 52nd in 1993.

Someone else with more knowledge will hopefully be able to clarify the above. In the meantime read this, it covers just about everything you need to know.

https://www.usaf-sig.org/index.php/reference/114-research-material/82-f-16-viper-faq-stuff-you-wanted-to-know-about-the-f-16cd

Edit: I can confirm that the Astra decals  are for later Blk 50 jets of the 22nd/23rd Fighter Sqns of the 52nd Wg, you want decals for the 81st/480th Fighter Sqns of the 52nd Wg,

You have the kit(Hasegawa), but not the decals

Speed Hunter Graphics SHG48010 has options for 480th in the correct timeframe.

Edit again: The Blk 50’s never flew with the F-4G in the hunter/killer role. As they were SEAD capable in their own right upon delivery.

Edited by scotthldr
35 minutes ago, scotthldr said:

For your timescale in pairing up with a F-4G from the 52nd we’re looking around the late 80’s, and the F-16 would’ve been a Block 30B jet. Now these F-16’s had the General Electric engine and the smaller NSI (Normal Stock Intake) jet intake. Both of these are to be found in some of the Hasegawa kits and from the description that yours has AGM-88’s HARM’s in it, makes me believe that your kit is one of them.

That timescale was ~10-15 years before CUPID so they would not have been carrying targeting pods at that time.  

The Academy kit would be suitable for an early Blk25 mid 80’s to mid 90’s timescale.

The 50th TFW at Hahn and the 86th TFW at Ramstein both operated the Blk25. In fact the Ramstein jets actually ended up at Hahn in order to replace the A/B versions of the 50th, whilst the 86th then received Blk30 a/c.

When the 50th deactivated in late 1991, I’m not sure where their a/c ended up although I have a suspicion that they went back Stateside with some re equipping the Indiana ANG amongst others.

Yes the USAFE sites (Ramstein, Spang, etc) rotated their early C/Ds back to the states when they got the later C/Ds.  Those early jets then (mostly) went to Guard a Reserve units.  The CUPID mod was after the early jets rotated back so you would not have seen a TGP on USAFE Vipers in the 80s/90s. 

When the 527th Tactical Fighter Training and Aggressor Squadron retired its F-5s they got some F-16Cs from the 52nd TFW (SP) and the 86th TFW (RS).

The F-16C they sent to Bentwaters were replaced with new F-16Cs. So those ones that Went to Bentwaters and served as Aggressors were Block 25/32 jets? 

Standard weapons for the timeframe would have been standard Mk80 series of dumb bombs both slick and retarded, Mk 20 Rockeye cluster bombs, AGM-65D(maybe G as well)Mavericks. B-43/61 Tactical Nukes would’ve been part of their arsenal as well. In the air to air role although they would’ve been AIM -120 capable, the more common fit was 4 x AIM-9L/M.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Any kit number in particular?

The Block 50 kit only gives you the bulged main gear doors, GE engine and big mouth intake, but it includes HARM missiles.  The Block 25/32 gives you the "flat" main gear doors and NSI ("small") intake, but the P&W nozzle and I don't think it comes with HARM missiles.  There is an aggressor boxing that gives you both exhaust nozzles and intakes, but I don't think it comes with the HARM missiles.  That may be your best bet for the airframe features you want, and then you just need to source the HARM missiles elsewhere.  Speed Hunter Graphics released decals for a lot of USAFE Viper, including the Spangdahlem ones.

15 hours ago, jenshb said:

The Block 50 kit only gives you the bulged main gear doors, GE engine and big mouth intake, but it includes HARM missiles.  The Block 25/32 gives you the "flat" main gear doors and NSI ("small") intake, but the P&W nozzle and I don't think it comes with HARM missiles.  There is an aggressor boxing that gives you both exhaust nozzles and intakes, but I don't think it comes with the HARM missiles.  That may be your best bet for the airframe features you want, and then you just need to source the HARM missiles elsewhere.  Speed Hunter Graphics released decals for a lot of USAFE Viper, including the Spangdahlem ones.

Thanks for that. I got all those already so Im not really bothered about the HARM missiles as I will be using the AGM-65s from the Academy kit as its weapons load I think. I quite like the look of the AGM-65 on the Viper and it seems to good weapon to pair with a Rhino toting HARM.