1:48 Tamiya P-47M with some additions

6 hours ago, Mr.Happy said:

Steve,

You have really taken this to the next level of awesome.

As a 47 enthusiast I am grateful that you have posted your step by step progress. Especially your working with the newish Tamiya Lacquers. 

Hears to you and your very inspirational build.

Mr.Happy 

Thanks Mr. Happy!  Hopefully this build thread will help anyone who wants to replicate some of the techniques I have applied.  I cannot recommend the new Tamiya lacquers enough!   They are bulletproof and spray extremely well (with Gunze Mr Leveling Thinner).   You can purchase them from eBay stores in Taiwan and China 👍🏻

Have a great day!

Steve 

1 hour ago, Falconxlvi said:

Thanks Mr. Happy!  Hopefully this build thread will help anyone who wants to replicate some of the techniques I have applied.  I cannot recommend the new Tamiya lacquers enough!   They are bulletproof and spray extremely well (with Gunze Mr Leveling Thinner).   You can purchase them from eBay stores in Taiwan and China 👍🏻

Have a great day!

Steve 

Steve,

If you keep this up, you're gonna FORCE me to get back onto MY P-47M...  Maybe you said somewhere in this thread, but which scheme are you doing?  One of the ones in the kit, or other?

Edited by Curt B
1 hour ago, Curt B said:

Steve,

If you keep this up, you're gonna FORCE me to get back onto MY P-47M...  Maybe you said somewhere in this thread, but which scheme are you doing?  One of the ones in the kit, or other?

Haha, do it Curt!  It’s cool to have a blue P-47M.  I will be building Lt Russ Kyler’s aircraft “Lorene” from the kit options and painting most of the markings instead of using decals.   Overall midnight blue over bare metal.   

Steve

On 5/12/2021 at 5:24 PM, Falconxlvi said:

Haha, do it Curt!  It’s cool to have a blue P-47M.  I will be building Lt Russ Kyler’s aircraft “Lorene” from the kit options and painting most of the markings instead of using decals.   Overall midnight blue over bare metal.   

Steve

On 5/12/2021 at 5:24 PM, Falconxlvi said:

Steve

😊   OOOOooooo Super Neato!!!!!  Can't wait to see it done, Steve!!!  I'm planning to finish mine in the OTHER blue (light/dark blue) over NMF.  I've already gone past the point of being able to paint the markings on mine, so decals it is!  However, I have another 1/48 Tamiya P-47 (a D razorback) that I'm planning to do in all NMF in Hun Hunter XIV, based in Italy (was one of the planes in the 1944 documentary 'Thunderbolt').

Edited by Curt B
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hey Steve, I know this is a lie in coming question to your thread, but curious what you think about comparisons between Mr. Color and the new Tamiya bottled lacquer paints. I have a huge collection of Mr. Color lacquers, but I have always loved the old standard Tamiya.  Now with Tamiya going with bottled lacquers, wondering if they will be giving Gunze a run for their money?!

Thanks for putting a very detailed thread together on this build. Your build and painting process, while a level above my personal “slightly more that OOB” style, has given me some good ideas on simple improvements I can add to my kits. 
I recently built the same kit OOB…one of the most enjoyable build I’ve done in awhile. 

Cheers

Collin

On 8/13/2021 at 1:09 PM, Curt B said:

Hey Steve, I know this is a lie in coming question to your thread, but curious what you think about comparisons between Mr. Color and the new Tamiya bottled lacquer paints. I have a huge collection of Mr. Color lacquers, but I have always loved the old standard Tamiya.  Now with Tamiya going with bottled lacquers, wondering if they will be giving Gunze a run for their money?!

Curt, that’s a great question.  I won’t be giving up my Gunze Mr Color.  There’s nothing “new” or “better” about the Tamiya paint other than it’s a lacquer and in the same colors as their other lines of paint.  The performance is just like Mr Color and I have been using Mr Color Leveling Thinner and Rapid Thinner (for Metallic LP paints) to thin Tamiya LP.  

Tamiya has a Loooooooot of work to do to match the range of Mr Color paints, and I somewhat prefer the exact color matches Mr Color provides instead of having to mix Tamiya paints.   That being said, I love the Tamiya LP-11 color for a natural metal aluminum- it’s absolutely  fantastic.  

Cheers, 

Steve

On 5/22/2021 at 8:25 AM, Rodney said:

I'm really enjoying watching your paint process.  Thanks for all the pictures showing the steps you are taking.

Rodney

You bet Rodney!  Sorry for the super late reply.  I’ve been away for most of the summer but now that the kids are back in school, I will have a lot more bench time!   A big update is coming soon!

On 8/14/2021 at 4:56 AM, Collin said:

Thanks for putting a very detailed thread together on this build. Your build and painting process, while a level above my personal “slightly more that OOB” style, has given me some good ideas on simple improvements I can add to my kits. 
I recently built the same kit OOB…one of the most enjoyable build I’ve done in awhile. 

Cheers

Collin

It’s a great kit for sure!  Thanks for the feedback and I’m glad you’ve taken something from this thread- that’s the whole reason I’m doing it!

Steve

6 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

Curt, that’s a great question.  I won’t be giving up my Gunze Mr Color.  There’s nothing “new” or “better” about the Tamiya paint other than it’s a lacquer and in the same colors as their other lines of paint.  The performance is just like Mr Color and I have been using Mr Color Leveling Thinner and Rapid Thinner (for Metallic LP paints) to thin Tamiya LP.  

Tamiya has a Loooooooot of work to do to match the range of Mr Color paints, and I somewhat prefer the exact color matches Mr Color provides instead of having to mix Tamiya paints.   That being said, I love the Tamiya LP-11 color for a natural metal aluminum- it’s absolutely  fantastic.  

Cheers, 

Steve

Thanks for your opinion about the Tamiya lacquers, Steve.  It probably is worth getting the LP-11 since you like it so well, especially as I don't need to also invest in new thinner/cleaner.  I have most of the Gunze metal colors (Super Metallics and Mr. Metal Colors) plus many of the AK Xtreme Metal colors (the latter are REALLY nice, but only based on videos and practice sprays, not on a real model yet.  It would be interesting to compare the real world in-person LP-11 to similar Xtreme Metal and Gunze metals.  If I do, and you're interested, I'll let you know my opinion(s). 

• 3 weeks later...

Update 9/2 

Hello everyone.  It’s time to post an update on the P-47M.   

I painted the upper surfaces using a multi-step process to achieve some tonal variation.   First, the lower metal area was masked off using rolls of Fun-Tak. 

BcWcklJ.jpg

Next, I applied some shading on selected panels over the black primer with some Gunze Russian Eggplant and MRP Dark Blue 

rrP5InI.jpg

Finally, I used a lighter Gunze blue to add random mottles and shading over the surface.  I kept the airbrush moving continuously until I built up an almost cloudy appearance of light blue over the darker tones.   The light blue was effectively my “marble” coat.  

xU1aP5w.jpg

While it looks like an interesting mess above, subsequent thin layers of Gunze Mr Color C71 Midnight Blue tied everything together quite nicely.   The key is to spray with highly diluted paint (1:1) to control the opacity so you do not cover the previous layers entirely.   After an initial pass, the model look like this 

l1cdHw5.jpg

I masked off a few selected panels and applied the new Ammo Acrylic Filters (Dark Blue, Pale Blue, and Basalt) at this stage as well.  

sNHDaly.jpg

One more blend coat with Mr Color 71 tied the finish together and here is the result…

a2S8XGV.jpg

VLa2Ks0.jpg

QkSD4Td.jpg

Next up…decals 

Edited by Falconxlvi

Steve,

Super impressed with your blue finish.  You’ve taken an alternate path to a heavily weathered finish, compared to some other modelers, and I love what you’ve done!  I’m definitely going to take some cues from you when I get to painting my P-47.  

• 5 months later...