How to tind a canopy?

Hello,

Currently, I am building 2 Kinetic F 16s. Since Kinetic doesn't provide a tinted canopies, I would like to tint them by my self. I tried to used X 19 and then future but the canopy has a fogey finish. I am new to the hobby and I haven't tinted a canopy before.

This is areference photo from the actual aircraft.

1061296.jpg

And here is a link for my thread.

I was going to use a link, but I'm having an old person moment right now...

Go to the In Progress section and look for an F-18C being done by Janissary. The first page, three quarters down... this might be of assistance to you!

If you cannot find it, let me know

Regards Andy

On 3/6/2021 at 1:40 PM, iceman98 said:

I would like to tint them by my self.

I just tried to replicate the colors on the canopy shown in the pic.  Looks like you only need an airbrush, a couple of clear colors, and a gentle hand:

f16_canopy.jpg.3fc39e8c9b17fc1e7087efb3ecf0acd2.jpg

2 hours ago, iceman98 said:

I used X 19 thinned with Mr. Leveling thinner (30 70 ratio) and now I am waiting.

How are you going to achieve the gold/purple tint on the canopy shown in your reference photo with just X19 smoke?

1 hour ago, RichardL said:

How are you going to achieve the gold/purple tint on the canopy shown in your reference photo with just X19 smoke?

I just made a try to achieve a smooth finish. I am going to use clear blue and red for purple and a drop of X 8 into X 19 for gold.

4 hours ago, iceman98 said:

I just made a try to achieve a smooth finish. I am going to use clear blue and red for purple and a drop of X 8 into X 19 for gold.

Ah, makes sense.  I thought you were using just X 19. Good luck.

5 minutes ago, RichardL said:

On my test spoons, I sprayed the purple first.  This is why it's important to try it out on a test piece first before spraying it on the actual canopy.

Thank you very much!! I could say that I am both fortunate and unfortunate, because I test the colour on a F 16 canopy I broke while polising it (Fortunately I have a second one). I will try it tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, Aigore said:

I found that if you  have shot a clear color on the canopy and it fogs up you just use tamyia fine compound and a cloth to polish it crystal clear again. done in no time.

😄

Should I use future or something similar?

Hi, if you are interested in tinting F-16D specifically, I gave it a shot here:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/238118-148-tamiya-f-16c-f-16d-tuaf-152-filo/&do=findComment&comment=2270139

Here is also something I had tried also in the past, but more of a learning experience (both what worked, what didn't):

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/206922-f-18f-hasegawa-148/&do=findComment&comment=2034089

I see my recent F-18C has been brought up, thank you Andy, Richard, I was going to post that also. If I were to do it now for an F-16, I would go with a yellow Sharpie in alcohol airbrushed, followed by a future dip.

On 3/9/2021 at 7:42 PM, Janissary said:

Hi, if you are interested in tinting F-16D specifically, I gave it a shot here:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/238118-148-tamiya-f-16c-f-16d-tuaf-152-filo/&do=findComment&comment=2270139

Here is also something I had tried also in the past, but more of a learning experience (both what worked, what didn't):

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/206922-f-18f-hasegawa-148/&do=findComment&comment=2034089

I see my recent F-18C has been brought up, thank you Andy, Richard, I was going to post that also. If I were to do it now for an F-16, I would go with a yellow Sharpie in alcohol airbrushed, followed by a future dip.

I will try to find a yellow permanent marker, to tell you the truth I cleaned the canopy and I found out that the plastic got a foggy appearance I don't know why, I used Mr Levelling thinner to clean it.

• 6 months later...