Backdating Zvezda Su-27SM

Hi all,

having almost finished working on the old Airfix Su-27 (started in the mid 90s and retrieved from the boneyard a few monts ago during lockdown) I would like to build another Flanker, this time with less workload....

I have the Trumpeter kit, but I'm not 100% satisfied by its shape... I was wondering if it would be better to start from the Zvezda kit. Unfortunately this is a model of the later SM version, while I want to model a soviet era Flanker. Unless they release also this version (from parts breakdown seem likely.... but, when?) I was wondering how much work is needed to backdate the SM to a standard Su-27. So far I noticed that luckily the kols is not and integral part of the windscreen, so it shouldn't be a great deal to fill and sand the offside shelf and put it in the middle, then I'll need to add the RWR to the side of the intakes and put an earlier "dials only" cockpit. Think I could use the front cockpit from Quinta Studio Su-27 UB set.

Is there anything else to do? Did anyone try this kind of conversion?

Edited by Yuri

I don't think there's much else to do, but as you might know the versions before the 27P had a different stinger shape. So you have to check your references for that, otherwise I think you're good to go, good luck and please share your work 😉

4 hours ago, Fiddler said:

I don't think there's much else to do, but as you might know the versions before the 27P had a different stinger shape. So you have to check your references for that, otherwise I think you're good to go, good luck and please share your work 😉

You mean the lack of chaff/clare dispenser on the tail? Yes, of course, but I don't plan to make such a early Flanker, just a late '80s one. Thanks!

Indeed, the stinger itself is also a bit different, next to the thicker fairings on both sides, which on the early ones develope in flat strakes. 

When making Ukrainian Flankers you should check, as they still operate both.