1/72 MPC SH-3D Sea King as Old 66?

I was looking at a Dragon or Italeri new kit but I was given an old and complete MPC kit.

It is the old 1/72 Copper Chopper by MPC molded in 1976. It is for a police helicopter but

it looks suspiciously like MPC's (Airfix) 1970 boxing for the Apollo recovery helicopter

SH-3D "Old 66". It has all the parts molded in white plastic with a bonus of 7 extra figures.

What do I need to do this as "Old 66" outside of a set of decals? Is it fairly accurate as is or

does it need some help? Thanks-jon

4 hours ago, jonwinn said:

I was looking at a Dragon or Italeri new kit but I was given an old and complete MPC kit.

It is the old 1/72 Copper Chopper by MPC molded in 1976. It is for a police helicopter but

it looks suspiciously like MPC's (Airfix) 1970 boxing for the Apollo recovery helicopter

SH-3D "Old 66". It has all the parts molded in white plastic with a bonus of 7 extra figures.

What do I need to do this as "Old 66" outside of a set of decals? Is it fairly accurate as is or

does it need some help? Thanks-jon

Disclaimer;  not a SeaKing expert here;

But'...........

well, accurate here is a relative term.  Yes, you can build a SH-3D from the old Airfix kit but be prepared for some horrible fit issues with the cockpit glass.  Any other SeaKing kit (except the Lindberg) is way better in all respects to the ancient Airfix offering.

The best researched decals I have seen for 'Old 66' is the 2010 release by Apollo Decals; it covers the choppers gradual livery changes from Apollo 8,10,11 & 12.  But if your concerned with accuracy, you won't be using the old Airfix kit, right. 🙂 🙂

Cheers, Tony

I agree with Tony but if you still want to head down that route. This is for the new Airfix Seaking. Probably the closest you will get to what you need.
http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2016/05/creating-sikorsky-sh-3d-from-new-airfix.html?m=1

Here is a build detailing the old Airfix kit. https://intscalemodeller.com/viewtopic.php?f=591&t=21908

Between the two you should be able to make a decent 66. For me me I would start with a newer kit for a more accurate 66. 

HTH

Edited by Tank

Thanks, I don't care for inaccurate but this is the proverbial "gift horse " so I will give it a try as

it WAS free after all, kinda know why now! LOL. As for ill fitting glass think Italeri 1/72 Blackhawk,

been there, done that. Thanks for the help.-jon

Actually it came with an E Bay purchase of an MPC (Airfix) Short Sterling. I had no idea it

would be included in my purchase. I started fooling with the kit and it's rude and crude but

I started building at 10 years old in 1963 so it's nothing I haven't seen or can't handle. I may add

some details, rear bulkhead inside, some yagi antennas and detail paint the IP, MPC doesn't

give you the IP image on the instruction sheet like Airfix did so you could cut it out and white

glue it to the plastic IP. Worse case scenario it will show me how to mask and paint if I want to

do the Cyber Hobby one, practice at no cost to me.-jon

SeaKing 3.JPG

SeaKing 4.JPG

Edited by jonwinn

I built an MPC version back in the day. 

At one time it was released with "66" decals, it looked rather nice.

That was long before the internet and aftermarket detail kits and decals,  so resources were limited.

I always thought the police version was funny, you'd think the police would cover up the SONAR well in the belly!

It came out long before anyone received surplus SH-3s, today I think the LA County Sheriff's office has one...or they did awhile ago to replace their H-34. There are even some fire fighting versions out there.

Yeah it struck me as odd for the police, firefighting to dump water down sonar tube maybe

but police just seems a bit odd. I did a bit more work, added seats, control sticks and I cut

down the sonar tube so it's flush on the floor but goes through floor to the bottom hull. I

need to sand the putty on the sonar tube top before I can paint and glue it in. I am

also trying out some new paint, Revell EMAIL enamels in the nifty Humbrol style tins. So far

they seem decent.-jon

SeaKing 5.JPG

Edited by jonwinn

I sanded the sonar tube cover, installed it in the floor and repainted the floor. I did a

test fit in the left fuselage half and it looks good. I now need to scratch build a rear

bulkhead for the interior, I am not super detailing, just want to stop any "see through".-jon

SeaKing 4.JPG

Edited by jonwinn

I added the windows in the left side, glued the interior in the fuselage and cut a bulkhead using

the front bulkhead as a template, from .015" card stock. When the interior has set up good I'll

paint the rear bulkhead then do the right side windows and close it up. The glass doesn't fit all

that good, especially the glass in the nose by the instrument panel but I don't think it's any worse

than the two Italeri 1/72 Blackhawks I built.- jon

SeaKing 7.JPG

Edited by jonwinn

Strange to think back in 60s or early 70s I'd have considered this free as The Holy Grail!!! LOL.

If this comes out as good as I think I may go for the old Aurora, now Atlantis, HH-3E Jolly Green!-jon

I added the nose and glass greenhouse. Looks like the same problem I had with my Blackhawk. I will

mask off the glass and fill the gaps with putty then wet sand.-jon

SeaKing 10.JPG

SeaKing 8.JPG

SeaKing 9.JPG

Edited by jonwinn

Yeah it's sad it's in the deep six off the California coast I think? I have the putty sanded

and the tape removed. It may need a bit more fine sanding along the front bottom edge.-jon

SeaKing 16.JPG

SeaKing 15.JPG

Edited by jonwinn