1/72 MPC SH-3D Sea King as Old 66?

I added the tail boom. In order to leave the tail rotor off I inserted a piece of scrap plastic

in the left tail boom half to cover the tail rotor shaft so it couldn't fall out, then glued the right boom half

to it. I am leaving the horizontal stabilizer and tail beacon off until I get it sanded.-jon

SeaKing 22.JPG

SeaKing 20.JPG

SeaKing 21.JPG

Edited by jonwinn

I was looking at how to mask when I noticed a gaping hole in the back of the engine cowling.

It was a giant see through area so I went looking for reference photos, not much out there

but it looks like a boxed in area and the only detail I saw was some sort of wire mesh screen

inside the "boxed in " area. So I boxed in the area and will look for some PE mesh I may have

left over project from a previous project. jon

seaking.JPG

SeaKing 27.JPG

Edited by jonwinn
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, jonwinn said:

What colors were the SH-3Ds. Were they white 17875 over gull gray 16440 just the opposite of the

Navy's gull gray over white fixed wing aircraft? 

I believe that is correct.
old-66-apollo-8-thru-12-4.gif

You've truly made a silk purse.
The components remind me of the HH-3 kit. Parts break down and general look. I might have missed a comparison comment, but I see the struggles I had with mine. 

Keep up the great work. 

• 1 month later...

Thanks, I have too many "irons in the oven" lately and next week is a long awaited

vacation. As usual I need to order more paint and decals but need to visit my kids

and their kids and do some "match the hatch" fishing. Gotta get outta FL and go back

to New England to regain my sanity. LOL Will be back-later. jon

Thanks, I'm still bothered by that bump missing off the tail boom underside. I may try to

scratch one when I get back, looks like some sort of radar or ECM bump, radar altimeter?

I got a ton of builds I am behind on so this is the last helicopter for this year I think. I still

have an Italeri 72nd UH-1D I want to get to, hopefully after the end of year holidays. jon

• 2 weeks later...