F-16 aggressor stores color questions

The project is a Nellis Block 32, 87-0267 from around 2001. Stores will be just ACMI pod and captive AIM-9 on the wingtips and An/ALQ-188 on the centerline pylon. I have a couple of color questions:

1. Tamiya calls for 36270 for the wingtip pylons. Seems logical, but I've read that pylons were often a mishmash. Okay to go with 36270?

2. Tamiya calls for 36375 for the centerline pylon, which jibes with what I've read. However, they call for Tamiya AS-28 as the color of the AN/ALQ-188 pod, that color being identified only as "medium gray." In the photos I have of the plane, the pod looks much darker than the pylon -- could be 36118. Can anybody suggest a likely color for the pod?

Thanks! Pip

Edited by seawinder
typo
  • seawinder changed the title to F-16 aggressor stores color questions

Pics of your subject would help us help you.

For starters, there is no such animal as FS 38270. My guess it's a typo.

The pods are a darker gray however AS-28, Medium Gray, is not a true Medium Gray. No Tamiya paints match any FS colors.

Steve

1 hour ago, A-10 LOADER said:

Pics of your subject would help us help you.

For starters, there is no such animal as FS 38270. My guess it's a typo.

The pods are a darker gray however AS-28, Medium Gray, is not a true Medium Gray. No Tamiya paints match any FS colors.

Steve

Yes, typo. I typed it correctly later in the paragraph, but I'll edit it.

Here's a link to the best photo of the plane. It's at airliners.net and copywrited, which is why the link:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air-Force/General-Dynamics-F-16C-Fighting-Falcon-401/338412/L?qsp=eJwtjEEKwjAQRa8is7ZgFVLpTi%2BgCy8wJF8tVhMmAzaU3r1jcPd4//Nm8vGjmPRWEqinDBb/pC0lFn5n6md6oXyjBGO6N63bHLtmt3edfXIUPRfzgRUn75EU4e8vEiC/CdnX3MPyrQHkWpkOznwYchq5NqA8jLQsK9QhLyA%3D

For the wingtip pylons, 36270 is probably correct, although in 2001 I suppose its possible they were still 36375. Since the 414th weren't doing the standard repaints I'm not completely sure. For the ALQ-188, 36118 looks right to me and is what I use.

4 hours ago, Camus272 said:

For the wingtip pylons, 36270 is probably correct, although in 2001 I suppose its possible they were still 36375. Since the 414th weren't doing the standard repaints I'm not completely sure. For the ALQ-188, 36118 looks right to me and is what I use.

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll go with 36118 for the pod and 36375 for the centerline pylon.